Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Some props for CJ Beathard.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While I think we are all hopeful Lawrence will be back sooner rather than later, I'd like to give some props to how CJ Bethard handled himself coming in at the end of the game. 

9-10 passing with 63 yards (woulda been more like 100 yards if the deep ball to Ridley didn't get called back by a BS hold on Harrison.)

OT drive was also stalled by a bad penalty, overall he played very well considering the circumstances.
Cj getting beaten hard

U can take that 2 ways
He did great, but with this O line, i hope they give him RPO's and roll outs. Maybe hes mobile, but he didnt look like he had much escapability on Monday Night.
He’s a decent backup but he’s going to need some other players to step up to have success winning games.
If he can win this game against the browns, then likely he will have done his job and Trevor will be back for Ravens
Dude threw a Dime to Ridley.  And Ridley caught it, which is a coin toss at this point.

CJ is a decent back up.  I'd rather we go with him and let Lawrence's ankle rest for another 7 days.  But man, if the Defense plays like they did on Monday it's pretty unlikely Beathard is going to be able to overcome our offensive play calling the way Lawrence does.
(12-06-2023, 08:35 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]He did great, but with this O line, i hope they give him RPO's and roll outs.  Maybe hes mobile, but he didnt look like he had much escapability on Monday Night.

He came cold off the bench. I thought he did as well as could be expected.
(12-06-2023, 08:35 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]He did great, but with this O line, i hope they give him RPO's and roll outs. Maybe hes mobile, but he didnt look like he had much escapability on Monday Night.
You saw him fumble and hurt himself when running. He is a statue in the pocket and if he runs, it's not good.
(12-06-2023, 09:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2023, 08:35 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]He did great, but with this O line, i hope they give him RPO's and roll outs.  Maybe hes mobile, but he didnt look like he had much escapability on Monday Night.

He came cold off the bench. I thought he did as well as could be expected.
He did ok but most QBs could do that. Watch the defense that was being played, the middle underneath was wide open in the zone they were playing. They were generally in prevent. The Ridley pass was good but he also just threw it up, it wasn't anything special.

I'll be shocked if he isn't injured in this game.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
(12-07-2023, 01:44 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]You saw him fumble and hurt himself when running. He is a statue in the pocket and if he runs, it's not good.

Keep in mind, Trevor himself has run and fumbled. You said he took off running but then you said he’s a statue. Kinda contradictory ain’t it?

Look no one thinks Beathard is anything other than a backup but there’s a reason he’s in the league and a reason Doug (who knows a thing or two about QBs) has him as his backup.

I don’t know how things are going to go against Cleveland but the defense is going to have to play much better than they did Monday night or it won’t matter who’s behind center.
He was one bad holding call away from being inside the 5 with an opportunity to take the win with four tries knowing Doug's tendencies. He's more competent than most people realize and I think we'll actually see some exciting stuff out of this offense still with him in the line-up this week and/or next week.

Keep an eye out for Tim Jones. Might be his turn to step up and make a splash play or two downfield.
(12-07-2023, 08:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]He was one bad holding call away from being inside the 5 with an opportunity to take the win with four tries knowing Doug's tendencies. He's more competent than most people realize and I think we'll actually see some exciting stuff out of this offense still with him in the line-up this week and/or next week.

Keep an eye out for Tim Jones. Might be his turn to step up and make a splash play or two downfield.

I like Tim jones. I hope he delivers when he gets the call. Also, when cj fumbled it was almost disastrous. He needs to be careful with that. It was a great play by Parker to jump on it.
(12-07-2023, 01:44 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
You saw him fumble and hurt himself when running. He is a statue in the pocket and if he runs, it's not good.
(12-06-2023, 09:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]He came cold off the bench. I thought he did as well as could be expected.
He did ok but most QBs could do that. Watch the defense that was being played, the middle underneath was wide open in the zone they were playing. They were generally in prevent. The Ridley pass was good but he also just threw it up, it wasn't anything special.

Most QBs or most QB2s? Regardless, he doesn't get time with the ones in practice, we're over halfway through the season and he came off the bench cold and did a decent job. I'm not going to be down on the guy for basically having to "roll out of bed and hit the NYC Marathon" in a matter of minutes.

He's in practice for Sunday's game and we'll see what happens. He is QB2 for a reason but I'm hoping for the best.
(12-07-2023, 12:15 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2023, 01:44 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]You saw him fumble and hurt himself when running. He is a statue in the pocket and if he runs, it's not good.

Most QBs or most QB2s? Regardless, he doesn't get time with the ones in practice, we're over halfway through the season and he came off the bench cold and did a decent job. I'm not going to be down on the guy for basically having to "roll out of bed and hit the NYC Marathon" in a matter of minutes.

He's in practice for Sunday's game and we'll see what happens. He is QB2 for a reason but I'm hoping for the best.

If you are referencing what i think you are here, then i hope Beathards alarm clock has a separate knob.
Dude has thrown 27 passes in 3 years and has limited practice on Wednesday due to an injured shoulder.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootbal...der-injury
(12-07-2023, 03:14 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2023, 12:15 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Most QBs or most QB2s? Regardless, he doesn't get time with the ones in practice, we're over halfway through the season and he came off the bench cold and did a decent job. I'm not going to be down on the guy for basically having to "roll out of bed and hit the NYC Marathon" in a matter of minutes.

If you are referencing what i think you are here, then i hope Beathards alarm clock has a separate knob.

Lol. Wasn't referencing anything in particular, just saying him riding the bench then suddenly having to play the rest of the game would be like rolling out of bed - but I should have said rolling off the couch - and running a marathon you forgot you signed up for. No prep and no idea it was coming.

Nothing else.  Big Grin
(12-07-2023, 04:06 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2023, 03:14 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]If you are referencing what i think you are here, then i hope Beathards alarm clock has a separate knob.

Lol. Wasn't referencing anything in particular, just saying him riding the bench then suddenly having to play the rest of the game would be like rolling out of bed - but I should have said rolling off the couch - and running a marathon you forgot you signed up for. No prep and no idea it was coming.

Nothing else.  Big Grin

Ah ok. It was a Seinfeld reference from an episode where a runner overslept his alarm and missed his Olympic race.  In the episode, he also oversleeps the alarm (for different reasons), and has to jump straight off the couch and rush to compete in the NYC Marathon.

https://youtu.be/vrVhUedoFD0?feature=shared
Things you may not have known about CJ Beathard.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jacksonvill...33895.html
(12-06-2023, 09:17 PM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]Dude threw a Dime to Ridley.  And Ridley caught it, which is a coin toss at this point.

CJ is a decent back up.  I'd rather we go with him and let Lawrence's ankle rest for another 7 days.  But man, if the Defense plays like they did on Monday it's pretty unlikely Beathard is going to be able to overcome our offensive play calling the way Lawrence does.

Facts! Ridley=Butters. Them routes don’t mean nothing if he can’t catch it.
(12-07-2023, 06:38 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]

Keep in mind, Trevor himself has run and fumbled. You said he took off running but then you said he’s a statue. Kinda contradictory ain’t it?

Look no one thinks Beathard is anything other than a backup but there’s a reason he’s in the league and a reason Doug (who knows a thing or two about QBs) has him as his backup.

I don’t know how things are going to go against Cleveland but the defense is going to have to play much better than they did Monday night or it won’t matter who’s behind center.

He is a statue but he did run because he had no choice and the LBs were way off the line. Doug has stated the reasons and performance wasn't brought up, only friendship and knowing the offense.

(12-07-2023, 08:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]He was one bad holding call away from being inside the 5 with an opportunity to take the win with four tries knowing Doug's tendencies. He's more competent than most people realize and I think we'll actually see some exciting stuff out of this offense still with him in the line-up this week and/or next week.

Prevent defense is the cause. The coverage was dropping deep and the middle was open. He couldn't do anything when the defense stopped playing prevent. The deep was all WR, other than the QB just throwing it.

(12-07-2023, 12:15 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]

Most QBs on NFL rosters could throw the ball short and over the middle with the defense playing prevent and dropping the LBs way to far back. As soon as they were close to the 20, the defense changed and they stalled.

The one thing that CJ seems to do better is at least throw the deep ball. He's done that in the preseason but he hasn't completed a lot. Everyone else will have to make up for his play if they want to win.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
(12-07-2023, 04:06 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2023, 03:14 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]If you are referencing what i think you are here, then i hope Beathards alarm clock has a separate knob.

Nothing else.  Big Grin

backups prep each week. Y'all make it sound like backup QBs are hanging at the hotel playing Madden when the rest of the team is at practice or studying film.

Their single most important job is to be ready at a moment's notice.

(12-07-2023, 04:16 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2023, 04:06 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Lol. Wasn't referencing anything in particular, just saying him riding the bench then suddenly having to play the rest of the game would be like rolling out of bed - but I should have said rolling off the couch - and running a marathon you forgot you signed up for. No prep and no idea it was coming.

Nothing else.  Big Grin

Ah ok. It was a Seinfeld reference from an episode where a runner overslept his alarm and missed his Olympic race.  In the episode, he also oversleeps the alarm (for different reasons), and has to jump straight off the couch and rush to compete in the NYC Marathon.

https://youtu.be/vrVhUedoFD0?feature=shared

I kinda thought it was a dig on Chris Rix. I remember that a whole lot more than Seinfeld episodes, it seems.