Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Fade route to Marqise in the red-zone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I didn't understand this, it reminded me of when Blake threw a fade to Rashad Greene in the red zone last year, if we're going to throw it in the red-zone, let's give A-Rob & Julius Thomas a chance to haul it in, I don't understand the logic of "throwing it up" to guys like Marqise Lee and Rashad Greene near the goal line. 

For the reason you just mentioned yourself. Teams have caught onto that. Every now and then you need to change it up and see if you get lucky. One little pass that was misfired out of 70+ offensive snaps shouldn't be crucified though. We got handled by a better team last night in the 1st half. The Bengals have been a competitive franchise for the last four years. This isn't the Bengals we probably grew up watching in middle school in the early 2000s.
Quote:For the reason you just mentioned yourself. Teams have caught onto that. Every now and then you need to change it up and see if you get lucky. One little pass that was misfired out of 70+ offensive snaps shouldn't be crucified thoigh. We got handled by a better team last night in the 1st half. The Bengals have been a competitive franchise for the last four years. This isn't the Bengals we probably grew up watching in middle school in the early 2000s.

My post has nothing to do with the Bengals, I understand they're a good football team. What i don't understand is throwing a fade route to a receiver that doesn't play 'big" because he isn't very big. Even if teams know the fade is coming to Allen Robinson, it's darn near impossible to stop because of his size, 42 inch vert, and ball skills.
It's preseaon!!  Kick the tires on new plays and players

I didn't get it either. But I understand why
Quote:It's preseaon!!  Kick the tires on new plays and players

I get it, I'm all for trying new things on both sides of the ball, it just seems like such a low percentage play. 
Should have ran a slant

Quote:Should have ran a slant

This, it was man to man coverage, I'd rather Marqise use his strengths (quickness) to beat a defender. 

Quote:I get it, I'm all for trying new things on both sides of the ball, it just seems like such a low percentage play. 
I think that's why they went for it. You don't expect them to throw the fade to Lee, so they went for it. Had there not been such a great play on the ball by their DB we'd be celebrating the genius call. But credit where it's due, the defense simply made the better play
It's better to find out that it doesn't work against Cincy in a preseason game, versus Green Bay in the opener.

Bortles is TERRIBLE at throwing fade/corner routes. Has he ever completed a pass in the corner like that?

He was singled up.

Not a bad call - just a good play by defender.

Plenty of things to complain about from that game... This isnt one of them.
Quote:I think that's why they went for it. You don't expect them to throw the fade to Lee, so they went for it. Had there not been such a great play on the ball by their DB we'd be celebrating the genius call. But credit where it's due, the defense simply made the better play

I understand the thinking, I'm just for putting players in the best possible situation to "win". I'm not sure if having a sub 6'0 receiver run a fade route (especially considering we better options) accomplishes that. When the Patriots are in the red zone everyone in the stadium knows the ball is going to Gronk, it doesn't matter because he's simply impossible to stop as his strengths are perfectly suited for that situation, sometimes teams "out-think" themselves. If it's man to man coverage, just throw it up to the guy that is 6'3 and jumps 42 inches.
Quote:He was singled up.

I'm not "complaining", it's simply and observation.

That was also blake checking out of a play to a totally new one. That impressed me more than anything else, he saw the 1st play wasn't going to work and got everyone in the right spot, and even though it didn't result in a score, that was the correct play call, wrong personnel, bit still. He showed results last year by throwing touchdowns, this year he is showing growth in his mental game, the offsides go route to arob against the jets for example, and then a complete formation changing audible to the play that gave us the best advantage. I think last night you saw the jags playing a very talented team on a big stage and they were nervous. If blake had stayed in after halftime i think we would have seen the offense come out there and light up the scoreboard. It's preseason guys, just chill.
Quote:He was singled up.

Would've personally loved to see a slant/out etc..., any route where Marqise is able to use his quickness.
Quote:That was also blake checking out of a play to a totally new one. That impressed me more than anything else, he saw the 1st play wasn't going to work and got everyone in the right spot, and even though it didn't result in a score, that was the correct play call, wrong personnel, bit still. He showed results last year by throwing touchdowns, this year he is showing growth in his mental game, the offsides go route to arob against the jets for example, and then a complete formation changing audible to the play that gave us the best advantage. I think last night you saw the jags playing a very talented team on a big stage and they were nervous. If blake had stayed in after halftime i think we would have seen the offense come out there and light up the scoreboard. It's preseason guys, just chill.

Nice post, can't argue against any of this. 
Pages: 1 2