Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Foye Oluokun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The annual Pro Bowl snub of Foye Oluokun prompts some discussion about our society. The NFL holds a prominent place in our world, and though Charles Barkley was adament that he wasn't a role model, it's easy to see that our children look up to professional athletes. I can't help but wonder why a supremely talented man like Foye is not front and center as a golden boy of the NFL. A child of Nigerian immigrants, Foye survived a childhood in St. Louis, completed a 4 year economics degree at Yale, and has led the NFL in tackles for 2 (hopefully 3) consecutive seasons. In interviews he is thoughtful, engaging, and, as one would expect, an excellent communicator. It would seem that he is the best combination of achievement, production, and personality to be a supserstar pushed by the League and held up as an example of black excellence in America, yet he can't even get a Pro Bowl nod. I believe this is simply too great an oversight to only be a function of being in Jacksonville. 

So, any thoughts on what's behind this? I have some, but interested in what others think.
Wrong thread, chief lolol

Then again, your mention of Yale and immigrants could mean Political Forum..

confused lol
(01-05-2024, 12:24 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Wrong thread, chief lolol

Why is that?
(01-05-2024, 12:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2024, 12:24 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Wrong thread, chief lolol

Why is that?

Idk.. Just seems like you're fishin in the wrong pond.

Might have more bites in the Jags section.

My 2 cents.
He didn't get selected because he doesn't play for the Ravens, to which both Ravens ILBs were ultimately selected. To be honest, I think being a really good white defensive players gets more attention then being Nigerian. The fact that he plays for the Jags and didn't have any elite sack numbers to set him apart doesn't help either. That said, based on his performance and total tackles (incluiding his high solo tackle number), he should have definitely gotten selected .....
(01-05-2024, 12:37 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2024, 12:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Why is that?
Idk.. Just seems like you're fishin in the wrong pond.

My 2 cents.

Agree, but I expect the calm, reasonable, and rational discussion to be politically inappropriate for over there.
(01-05-2024, 01:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2024, 12:37 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Idk.. Just seems like you're fishin in the wrong pond.

My 2 cents.

Agree, but I expect the calm, reasonable, and rational discussion to be politically inappropriate for over there.

Gotcha
(01-05-2024, 12:38 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]He didn't get selected because he doesn't play for the Ravens, to which both Ravens ILBs were ultimately selected.  To be honest, I think being a really good white defensive players gets more attention then being Nigerian.    The fact that he plays for the Jags and didn't have any elite sack numbers to set him apart doesn't help either.  That said, based on his performance and total tackles (incluiding his high solo tackle number), he should have definitely gotten selected .....

Just to clarify, Foye was born in St. Louis, so he's American by birth. I know that there is some friction in the black communities between so called "Africa blacks" and "African-Americans", do you think that could have some impact on his relative anonymity?
(01-05-2024, 01:27 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2024, 12:38 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]He didn't get selected because he doesn't play for the Ravens, to which both Ravens ILBs were ultimately selected.  To be honest, I think being a really good white defensive players gets more attention then being Nigerian.    The fact that he plays for the Jags and didn't have any elite sack numbers to set him apart doesn't help either.  That said, based on his performance and total tackles (incluiding his high solo tackle number), he should have definitely gotten selected .....

Just to clarify, Foye was born in St. Louis, so he's American by birth. I know that there is some friction in the black communities between so called "Africa blacks" and "African-Americans", do you think that could have some impact on his relative anonymity?

Definitely not.  He played in Atlanta and now Jacksonville, which are 2 very low profile teams and neither has a really good defense or impact players on D that get national recognition.  Regarding the race factor, I think he'd actually benefit more if he were white like Poz.
I really think follow the money applies here, too. If Jacksonville had more televised games, he would be talked about more frequently. We have to win first and foremost, then some of these snubs go aways. He is good though. I agree with everything you've said. I even agree that the messaging is there to make him a household name, if our sports news cared about creating good role models. They don't. Controversy and big markets are what makes them money.
As a non fantasy football playing Jaguars fan I had no idea whom he was prior to him signing here. He is not an attention seeking self promoter. He is a bring your lunch pail and get to work, lead by example gentle soul. He is the perfect Jaguar. With that said I am guessing tackles do not factor into fantasy points? If they did I bet his selection would have been automatic.
(01-05-2024, 02:57 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]I really think follow the money applies here, too. If Jacksonville had more televised games, he would be talked about more frequently. We have to win first and foremost, then some of these snubs go aways. He is good though. I agree with everything you've said. I even agree that the messaging is there to make him a household name, if our sports news cared about creating good role models. They don't. Controversy and big markets are what makes them money.

This. 

Look at the whole Kelce/Swift thing. I can almost guarantee only 0.001% of Swift fans had any clue as to who Travis Kelce was until they hooked up. It was like adding vinegar to baking soda and it's made the NFL a boatload of money

If Kelce was with the Jags it would be the same.
(01-05-2024, 01:27 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

My personal experience is that Africa blacks feel less entitled, are better educated and are more appreciative to be here than the African american blacks that are mostly the decsendants of slavery. Not making any judgements on either, but thats been my experience.
(01-06-2024, 06:06 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2024, 01:27 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Just to clarify, Foye was born in St. Louis, so he's American by birth. I know that there is some friction in the black communities between so called "Africa blacks" and "African-Americans", do you think that could have some impact on his relative anonymity?

My personal experience is that Africa blacks feel less entitled, are better educated and are more appreciative to be here than the African american blacks that are mostly the decsendants of slavery.  Not making any judgements on either, but thats been my experience.

People who pick up and move here from another country have got something going for them.  I'm talking about people of all races. They come here with a boatload of ambition.  They appreciate the opportunities in this country.  Your average American, of all races, is usually just coasting.
(01-06-2024, 07:32 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-06-2024, 06:06 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]My personal experience is that Africa blacks feel less entitled, are better educated and are more appreciative to be here than the African american blacks that are mostly the decsendants of slavery.  Not making any judgements on either, but thats been my experience.

People who pick up and move here from another country have got something going for them.  I'm talking about people of all races. They come here with a boatload of ambition.  They appreciate the opportunities in this country.  Your average American, of all races, is usually just coasting.

Mostly this.  There's also the fact that you have to be, nowadays, upper middle class to get here from Africa.  The slave ships aren't running anymore.  You have to buy a plane ticket and have enough pocket money to float until you find the right job and the right house.  We are getting a lot of the best and brightest from Africa and Asia.  And then we get the poor and desperate from Latin America.  In Europe the reverse is true.
(01-05-2024, 07:30 PM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]As a non fantasy football playing Jaguars fan I had no idea whom he was prior to him signing here.  He is not an attention seeking self promoter.  He is a bring your lunch pail and get to work, lead by example gentle soul.  He is the perfect Jaguar.  With that said I am guessing tackles do not factor into fantasy points?  If they did I bet his selection would have been automatic.

Bingo. Don't make money, don't get money.