Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags Hiring RB Coach From Tenn. Vols
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2024/02...-rb-coach/

Vols ran lots of Zone and little Gap stuff - so it's not looking like a major change in scheme is headed for a run game as of now.
Bummer. About a month away from free agency. Fingers crossed Baalke and Pederson can figure out who they need added along the interior and get it done.
Well, it’s good to look forward to the draft and hopefully the jags being smart and active in free agency. Congrats to the annoying chiefs. The dream is for the jags to put a stop to the same team winning the afc every year. Hopefully this staff performs in 2024 to the highest level. Let’s go jags!
(02-12-2024, 04:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2024/02...-rb-coach/

Vols ran lots of Zone and little Gap stuff - so it's not looking like a major change in scheme is headed for a run game as of now.

That doesn’t really give me a lot of hope. Seems our staff is bent on doubling down on their system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(02-12-2024, 04:57 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Bummer. About a month away from free agency. Fingers crossed Baalke and Pederson can figure out who they need added along the interior and get it done.

I think we need to blow another high pick on a RB...
thats why i have a lack of confedince in Jaguars,keep hireing inexpirenced people overrated players past thier prime like a calvin  Ridely ,and lettign go of young promiseign players.  then not drafting enough offenssive lineman to proect trevor,not to menttion a #1 WR.
I was hoping Freddy T would get that coaching spot.
The system can work in the NFL, if you have the right personell. SF and Miami both mostly ran ZBS last year.
(02-12-2024, 07:07 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2024, 04:57 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Bummer. About a month away from free agency. Fingers crossed Baalke and Pederson can figure out who they need added along the interior and get it done.

Yes!!
The next mcaffery is at our finger tips in rd1

With the 27th pick In the 2024 nfl draft, the jacksonvilem jaguars select Frank Gore Jr 

I can hear it now
(02-12-2024, 07:07 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]

Wouldn't surprise me if they drafted another RB. We've done it every year since Baalke has been the General Manager. Wouldn't put it past them to draft a guy like Corum out of Michigan or Frank Gore Jr.
(02-12-2024, 08:50 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]thats why i have a lack of confedince in Jaguars,keep hireing inexpirenced people overrated players past thier prime like a calvin  Ridely ,and lettign go of young promiseign players.  then not drafting enough offenssive lineman to proect trevor,not to menttion a #1 WR.

I er, uh, ummmm....wut?

So the preference is for retreads? How was bringing Ridley in bad? Which promising young players did we let go? Bartch? Rourke? seriously?

When you're on tilt, snowy, you go full tilt, that's for sure.
(02-12-2024, 09:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The system can work in the NFL, if you have the right personell.  SF and Miami both mostly ran ZBS last year.

Zone blocking reminds me of the Steelers running the 3-4 when no other team was.  The advantage for the Steelers was that no other team else was drafting "undersized defensive ends" for their 4-3 defense, giving the 3-4 Steelers the ability to wait until the 3rd and 4th round draft before getting their 3-4 OLBs (that today go in the first.)  

With zone blocking the Denver Broncos, under Alex Gibbs, were able to wait until the later rounds to draft their smaller, but more athletic ZBS OL players, not to mention Zone RBs that also went later.  The issue now is that more team are running the 3-4 and ZBS system, and that fact has evened out the draft system as well as FA value for those types of players.

As mentioned above the ZBS does work, even throughout the playoffs, assuming you have the right talent and more-importantly the year-to-year longevity to get all players on the exact same page.  I would say that the ZBS is much less-forgiving for 'weak links.'
(02-13-2024, 11:05 AM)cland Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2024, 09:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The system can work in the NFL, if you have the right personell.  SF and Miami both mostly ran ZBS last year.

Zone blocking reminds me of the Steelers running the 3-4 when no other team was.  The advantage for the Steelers was that no other team else was drafting "undersized defensive ends" for their 4-3 defense, giving the 3-4 Steelers the ability to wait until the 3rd and 4th round draft before getting their 3-4 OLBs (that today go in the first.)  

With zone blocking the Denver Broncos, under Alex Gibbs, were able to wait until the later rounds to draft their smaller, but more athletic ZBS OL players, not to mention Zone RBs that also went later.  The issue now is that more team are running the 3-4 and ZBS system, and that fact has evened out the draft system as well as FA value for those types of players.

As mentioned above the ZBS does work, even throughout the playoffs, assuming you have the right talent and more-importantly the year-to-year longevity to get all players on the exact same page.  I would say that the ZBS is much less-forgiving for 'weak links.'

Exactly.
If the preseason Tank Bigsby shows up to play this year in the regular season, no new RBs are needed.

This new RB coach I am sure is fine.
If ur oline folds constantly ur run game won't do jack all
(02-13-2024, 11:05 AM)cland Wrote: [ -> ]With zone blocking the Denver Broncos, under Alex Gibbs, were able to wait until the later rounds to draft their smaller, but more athletic ZBS OL players, not to mention Zone RBs that also went later.  The issue now is that more team are running the 3-4 and ZBS system, and that fact has evened out the draft system as well as FA value for those types of players.

Was especially effective in the late 90s when the broncos oline was allowed to dive at the knees of the d line with impunity
I doubt that they will draft an RB, or maybe in the very last rounds.

They re-signed D'Ernest Johnson, they want to increase Bigsby role and ETN is still there.
(04-02-2024, 06:28 AM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-13-2024, 11:05 AM)cland Wrote: [ -> ]With zone blocking the Denver Broncos, under Alex Gibbs, were able to wait until the later rounds to draft their smaller, but more athletic ZBS OL players, not to mention Zone RBs that also went later.  The issue now is that more team are running the 3-4 and ZBS system, and that fact has evened out the draft system as well as FA value for those types of players.

Was especially effective in the late 90s when the broncos oline was allowed to dive at the knees of the d line with impunity

The "cut" block (blocking a disengaged player around the knees) is still legal, but you're correct that the "chop" block (blocking an engaged player around the knees) is now illegal and was certainly a benefit to the ZBS.  One of the main concepts of zone blocking is that two players start blocking in a double team, and then one player quickly peels off to block another player downfield.  If the player remaining in the first block is able to target the (engaged) player at the knees, it is certainly a way to make the ZBS smaller and more athletic offensive lineman able to hold his ground/complete his block.