Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: John Oliver offers Justice Thomas millions to 'get off the Supreme Court'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Liberals, they'll do anything to insure their agenda gets through........

John Oliver offers Justice Thomas millions to 'get the f--- off the Supreme Court'

The "Last Week Tonight" host also offered a $2.4 million tour bus to get the conservative jurist off the bench

HBO’s "Last Week Tonight" host John Oliver offered to pay Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas $1 million annually in exchange for his departure from America’s highest court.

On Sunday, the eleventh season of Oliver’s talk show premiered as he voiced his allegedly serious bribe to the Supreme Court Justice.

"One million dollars a year for the rest of your life, if you simply agree to leave the Supreme Court immediately and never come back," Oliver said about his "special offer."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/john-olive...reme-court
John Oliver used to be an interesting watch. Now he’s turned into another Stephen Colbert.
I was surprised HBO renewed this turd, but then I tried watching the latest season of True Detective which managed to check every woke Hollywood checkbox in the book. I then thought Larry David would save the day and redeem HBO's turn to the dark side. Nope, my beloved Larry now requires MAGA as a comedy crutch.

HBO lost its fastball. Politics has killed the greats of my youth.
(02-20-2024, 08:08 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I was surprised HBO renewed this turd, but then I tried watching the latest season of True Detective which managed to check every woke Hollywood checkbox in the book. I then thought Larry David would save the day and redeem HBO's turn to the dark side. Nope, my beloved Larry now requires MAGA as a comedy crutch.

You're the one who changed.  Just part of getting older.

As they say, if the guy making your coffee in the morning is an [BLEEP], oh well.  If the guy next to you on the train is an [BLEEP] too, oh well.  But if everyone you meet in the morning is an [BLEEP], odds are, they're actually normal and you're the [BLEEP].
(02-20-2024, 08:28 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2024, 08:08 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I was surprised HBO renewed this turd, but then I tried watching the latest season of True Detective which managed to check every woke Hollywood checkbox in the book. I then thought Larry David would save the day and redeem HBO's turn to the dark side. Nope, my beloved Larry now requires MAGA as a comedy crutch.

You're the one who changed.  Just part of getting older.

As they say, if the guy making your coffee in the morning is an [BLEEP], oh well.  If the guy next to you on the train is an [BLEEP] too, oh well.  But if everyone you meet in the morning is an [BLEEP], odds are, they're actually normal and you're the [BLEEP].

No, dummy, he's not the one who changed. You can't have progress AND status quo.
(02-20-2024, 09:59 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2024, 08:28 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]You're the one who changed.  Just part of getting older.

No, dummy, he's not the one who changed. You can't have progress AND status quo.

It sounded good in his head..
The problem is that, if one simply looks at Justice Thomas' list of unethical actions, most would be in agreement this guy does not belong on the Supreme Court. That said, our system is flawed because we do not replace crooked politicians with those within the same party. Example: I think we should have replaced Santos with a Republican . This would enabled everyone to immediately vote him out for obvious reasons instead of supporting him due to the risk of loosing a seat. As it relates to the Supreme Court, enact a 10 year term and a max age of 80, and replace existing Justice's acting unethically with a Supreme Court Justice of the same party. Thus, Justice Thomas would be replaced with another republican Supreme Court Justice for the remainder of his term .... and Ruth Ginsberg would have long been gone from the system way prior to incurring her vegetable state of mind.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurke...b832dc5df7
(02-20-2024, 10:36 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that, if one simply looks at Justice Thomas' list of unethical actions, most would be in agreement this guy does not belong on the Supreme Court.  That said, our system is flawed because we do not replace crooked politicians with those within the same party.  Example: I think we should have replaced Santos with a Republican .  This would enabled everyone to immediately vote him out for obvious reasons instead of supporting him due to the risk of loosing a seat.  As it relates to the Supreme Court, enact a 10 year term and a max age of 80, and replace existing Justice's acting unethically with a Supreme Court Justice of the same party.  Thus, Justice Thomas would be replaced with another republican Supreme Court Justice for the remainder of his term .... and Ruth Ginsberg would have long been gone from the system way prior to incurring her vegetable state of mind.

I'm fine with this. I think it's a decent solution to the concept of "policing your own." Not sure how I feel about Supreme Court term limits, but I like capping the age (70 would be my choice).
(02-20-2024, 09:59 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2024, 08:28 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]You're the one who changed.  Just part of getting older.

Comedy is by definition edgy and mocks the comfortable and the haughty.

People who do well in life tend to get more comfortable as they grow older, and haughtiness is an unfortunate byproduct of that.
You watch a lot of comedy, do you?
The Supremes should be able to police themselves. In this case they should be allowed to vote Thomas off if he refuses to clean up his act.

But already Thomas can be impeached. If some Republicans in the Senate think Thomas is corrupt, but concerned about the ideological balance of the court, they can negotiate who replaces Thomas as part of the price of their removal votes. We do package deals like this all the time, or at least we used to.

We just need to be politically brave enough to use the tools we already have.
(02-20-2024, 10:53 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2024, 09:59 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]No, dummy, he's not the one who changed. You can't have progress AND status quo.

Comedy is by definition edgy and mocks the comfortable and the haughty.

People who do well in life tend to get more comfortable as they grow older, and haughtiness is an unfortunate byproduct of that.

I have a historical perspective of every show I mentioned and can promise you even at my geriatric old age of 45, can identify that liberal cancer has destroyed the majority of things that were once great.

Maybe I will mature and understand this guy when I turn 46.
https://twitter.com/MJTruthUltra/status/...NAsOA&s=19
(02-20-2024, 10:36 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that, if one simply looks at Justice Thomas' list of unethical actions, most would be in agreement this guy does not belong on the Supreme Court.  That said, our system is flawed because we do not replace crooked politicians with those within the same party.  Example: I think we should have replaced Santos with a Republican .  This would enabled everyone to immediately vote him out for obvious reasons instead of supporting him due to the risk of loosing a seat.  As it relates to the Supreme Court, enact a 10 year term and a max age of 80, and replace existing Justice's acting unethically with a Supreme Court Justice of the same party.  Thus, Justice Thomas would be replaced with another republican Supreme Court Justice for the remainder of his term .... and Ruth Ginsberg would have long been gone from the system way prior to incurring her vegetable state of mind.

That's legally unworkable though.  Who determines which Republican replaces Santos in this world?  What if Santos was an independent?
Even though written or spoken comedy is about mocking the comfortable, there are members of the left that are way too comfortable and ripe for mockery. The Babylon Bee does it well.
(02-20-2024, 11:12 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]

That's legally unworkable though.  Who determines which Republican replaces Santos in this world?  What if Santos was an independent?

Simple.  Santos was a R rep of the House so the R reps of the House would vote for a qualified candidate from the district to replace Santos (or have it default to the person who came in 2nd to Santos as the R rep).  Same would apply for Senate reps.   I mean, it's a similar process to electing a Speaker of the House, except that the only voting party reps (R or D) would be the one in which the candidate was being replaced.   If Independent, then conduct a re-election.
(02-20-2024, 12:36 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2024, 11:12 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]That's legally unworkable though.  Who determines which Republican replaces Santos in this world?  What if Santos was an independent?

Simple.  Santos was a R rep of the House so the R reps of the House would vote for a qualified candidate from the district to replace Santos (or have it default to the person who came in 2nd to Santos as the R rep).  Same would apply for Senate reps.   I mean, it's a similar process to electing a Speaker of the House, except that the only voting party reps (R or D) would be the one in which the candidate was being replaced.   If Independent, then conduct a re-election.

That's a constitutional amendment, I'm afraid.  Senators and Reps are elected by the people, not by other reps.
(02-20-2024, 12:01 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Even though written or spoken comedy is about mocking the comfortable, there are members of the left that are way too comfortable and ripe for mockery.  The Babylon Bee does it well.

I can't figure out why you are confusing parody content with television shows that were once amazing and were destroyed by wokeness.
(02-20-2024, 12:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2024, 12:01 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Even though written or spoken comedy is about mocking the comfortable, there are members of the left that are way too comfortable and ripe for mockery.  The Babylon Bee does it well.

I can't figure out why you are confusing parody content with television shows that were once amazing and were destroyed by wokeness.

Mike is a prime example of lessons never being learned.. He is a comedy show..
(02-20-2024, 12:52 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2024, 12:36 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Simple.  Santos was a R rep of the House so the R reps of the House would vote for a qualified candidate from the district to replace Santos (or have it default to the person who came in 2nd to Santos as the R rep).  Same would apply for Senate reps.   I mean, it's a similar process to electing a Speaker of the House, except that the only voting party reps (R or D) would be the one in which the candidate was being replaced.   If Independent, then conduct a re-election.

That's a constitutional amendment, I'm afraid.  Senators and Reps are elected by the people, not by other reps.

That's my point and that's why I stated the system is flawed. Hence, changes need to be made to reduce the need for bipartisan voting on "certain" matters.   The parties are too committed to voting party lines, which removes ethics and common sense from the equation.
(02-20-2024, 12:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]

You named John Oliver and Larry David, not their shows, and they are both comedy and parody performers.

I suppose you threw true detective in there too, which has had a complete turnover in who writes, runs, and acts in it.  I'm sorry you don't like the new crew I guess?  It's not woke it's just new.