Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Boeing's 757-200 continues to have major problems. Wing falling apart in flight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is why I don't fly and take the Amtrak everywhere..... Wing breaking apart in flight......

Boston-bound flight from San Francisco forced to divert to Denver after plane's wing came apart midair

Passenger Kevin Clarke ultimately landed at his final destination of Logan Airport about 3 hours later than scheduled

A passenger of a Boston-bound commercial flight made an unusual sighting when he looked out of the window and saw a wing of the plane falling apart midair.

Passenger Kevin Clarke said he boarded United Flight 354, a Boeing 757-200 that was departing out of San Francisco and took off on schedule but was told by the pilot that the plane would be forced to divert to Denver, Boston 25 News reported. Then, he saw the problem with his very own eyes. The slat of the plane's right wing was "coming apart" and missing noticeable chunks.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/bo...ame-midair
[Image: SF9YH.gif]
Merely a flesh wound. Not a big deal at all.
My son has his mindset on becoming a pilot. Hes only 15 and will be taking classes this summer. Seems like I keep seeing more and more articles about planes having issues. I really hope its just because I have an interest in it.
(02-21-2024, 09:40 AM)Hurricane Wrote: [ -> ]My son has his mindset on becoming a pilot. Hes only 15 and will be taking classes this summer. Seems like I keep seeing more and more articles about planes having issues. I really hope its just because I have an interest in it.

Commercial aircraft are immensely safe and very robust. 

https://medium.com/@aviatechchannel/is-i...f2a1b2e080

“…Is it accurate to assert that flying is safer than driving? Statistically speaking, flying is considerably safer than driving. Let’s break down the data:
Statistics: According to the International Air Transport Association (IATA), there was only one accident resulting in one or more fatalities for every 7.7 million flights in 2021.
This translates to a fatality risk of 0.23 per billion passenger-kilometers. In contrast, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that the likelihood of dying in a car crash in the US is approximately 1 in 107.
Comparison: This implies that, on average, you would need to fly every day for over 10,000 years to be involved in a fatal plane crash. The risk of dying in a car crash is roughly 200,000 times higher than dying in a plane crash…”
Rail travel is far from safer than flying.  

https://railroads.dot.gov/accident-and-i...dents-type
(02-21-2024, 10:20 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-21-2024, 09:40 AM)Hurricane Wrote: [ -> ]My son has his mindset on becoming a pilot. Hes only 15 and will be taking classes this summer. Seems like I keep seeing more and more articles about planes having issues. I really hope its just because I have an interest in it.

Commercial aircraft are immensely safe and very robust. 

https://medium.com/@aviatechchannel/is-i...f2a1b2e080

“…Is it accurate to assert that flying is safer than driving? Statistically speaking, flying is considerably safer than driving. Let’s break down the data:
Statistics: According to the International Air Transport Association (IATA), there was only one accident resulting in one or more fatalities for every 7.7 million flights in 2021.
This translates to a fatality risk of 0.23 per billion passenger-kilometers. In contrast, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that the likelihood of dying in a car crash in the US is approximately 1 in 107.
Comparison: This implies that, on average, you would need to fly every day for over 10,000 years to be involved in a fatal plane crash. The risk of dying in a car crash is roughly 200,000 times higher than dying in a plane crash…”

You can survive a car crash though.

Are those stats saying out of every 107 crashes 1 person dies? Or that 1 out of every 107 times you drive you die? Cause I've never died.