Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Majority of Americans support Building The Wall on the Southern Border
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We can't just let everybody and their brother keep coming in. The effect it's having on Americans is devastating..........

Most Americans call illegal immigration 'very serious problem,' poll finds

Just 26% of Americans approve of Biden's handling of the border

A majority of Americans now support building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, according to a Monmouth University poll released Monday.

The poll found that 61% of Americans say illegal immigration is a "very serious problem" leading into the 2024 election cycle.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/majorit...oblem-poll
I don't think we can cover the entire border with a wall, but I am in favor of some more wall than we have, plus much greater border security in general, and a "remain in Mexico while we figure out your status."
(02-27-2024, 09:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think we can cover the entire border with a wall, but I am in favor of some more wall than we have, plus much greater border security in general, and a "remain in Mexico while we figure out your status."

‘Marty’s my boy.’  Big Grin

[Image: 27150997534_33f4798ff5.jpg]
(02-27-2024, 09:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think we can cover the entire border with a wall, but I am in favor of some more wall than we have, plus much greater border security in general, and a "remain in Mexico while we figure out your status."

Why not?

There's been longer walls created through history.

If we are truly the best country to ever exist its an easy project.

I guarantee you that the Panama Canal was harder to build than a wall
(02-27-2024, 09:33 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: [ -> ]

Why not?

There's been longer walls created through history.

If we are truly the best country to ever exist its an easy project.

I guarantee you that the Panama Canal was harder to build than a wall

Vey true and the Chinese did it without heavy equipment.  It's a big project, but the engineering is fairly simple.  It's primarily a question of political will.
A wall is definitely possible. We *can* do it. It's just very expensive.
And an unmonitored wall will be breached quickly. So the expense doesn't go away. It is ongoing.
I'm not opposed to a wall, but there are better ways to reduce illegal immigration and reduce the chaos at the border.
(02-27-2024, 11:49 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]A wall is definitely possible. We *can* do it.  It's just very expensive.
And an unmonitored wall will be breached quickly.  So the expense doesn't go away.  It is ongoing.
I'm not opposed to a wall, but there are better ways to reduce illegal immigration and reduce the chaos at the border.

Such as?
(02-27-2024, 12:01 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2024, 11:49 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]A wall is definitely possible. We *can* do it.  It's just very expensive.
And an unmonitored wall will be breached quickly.  So the expense doesn't go away.  It is ongoing.

Such as?

By sending our Border Czar down south to examine the root causes of mass migration (wink, wink).

[Image: 11138202.gif]

Such as?

I would suggest that a remain in Mexico policy might deter a lot of people from making the attempt in the first place.  We are luring people into trying to cross the border by making it too easy.   More border patrol agents, electronic fences, drones, etc.  We don't have to build a wall all the way across.   Just make it harder.

Such as?

Like Marty said, Remain in Mexico was a good start and the Mexican government was cooperating.  Increased use of biometrics to catch repeated border jumpers.  BUT ALSO more rapid processing of legal immigration, with more slots available.  A couple of sticks but a carrot too.
(02-27-2024, 12:16 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2024, 12:01 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]Such as?

I would suggest that a remain in Mexico policy might deter a lot of people from making the attempt in the first place.  We are luring people into trying to cross the border by making it too easy.   More border patrol agents, electronic fences, drones, etc.  We don't have to build a wall all the way across.   Just make it harder.

Policy without enforcement is meaningless political rhetoric.   There is no "we", the Democrats, through their puppet in the Oval Office, are the ones making it happen.  They've gone way beyond making easy, to now openly rewarding illegals with housing, medical care, debit cards, etc.

Why bother with drones when news crews are broadcasting it live?  You can hire a million more border patrol agents, but what exactly are they supposed to do, hold up stop signs?  When can they start shooting?  

It all comes back to political will and the Left see every illegal migrant allowed in under their watch as a potential future vote.
(02-27-2024, 01:55 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2024, 12:16 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I would suggest that a remain in Mexico policy might deter a lot of people from making the attempt in the first place.  We are luring people into trying to cross the border by making it too easy.   More border patrol agents, electronic fences, drones, etc.  We don't have to build a wall all the way across.   Just make it harder.

Policy without enforcement is meaningless political rhetoric.   There is no "we", the Democrats, through their puppet in the Oval Office, are the ones making it happen.  They've gone way beyond making easy, to now openly rewarding illegals with housing, medical care, debit cards, etc.

Why bother with drones when news crews are broadcasting it live?  You can hire a million more border patrol agents, but what exactly are they supposed to do, hold up stop signs?  When can they start shooting?  

It all comes back to political will and the Left see every illegal migrant allowed in under their watch as a potential future vote.

Illegal immigrants have been able to receive emergency medical care in all 50 states since the 1980s.

Yes, certain states are adding housing and other welfare benefits for newly arrived immigrants, but most are not, and if you don't live in one of those states (we don't) you really shouldn't worry about it.
(02-27-2024, 01:55 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2024, 12:16 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I would suggest that a remain in Mexico policy might deter a lot of people from making the attempt in the first place.  We are luring people into trying to cross the border by making it too easy.   More border patrol agents, electronic fences, drones, etc.  We don't have to build a wall all the way across.   Just make it harder.

Don’t forget the cheap labor.
(02-27-2024, 02:49 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2024, 01:55 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]Policy without enforcement is meaningless political rhetoric.   There is no "we", the Democrats, through their puppet in the Oval Office, are the ones making it happen.  They've gone way beyond making easy, to now openly rewarding illegals with housing, medical care, debit cards, etc.

Illegal immigrants have been able to receive emergency medical care in all 50 states since the 1980s.

Yes, certain states are adding housing and other welfare benefits for newly arrived immigrants, but most are not, and if you don't live in one of those states (we don't) you really shouldn't worry about it.

[Image: head-in-the-sand-heather-stinnett.jpg]
A wall is an important piece in keeping bad actors out, but the majority of people are jumping the border because they know they can get work here. If someone can figure out a way to eliminate or severely disincentivize the desire for employers to use cheap illegal labor, then there would be very little pull for those people to come here illegally.
(02-28-2024, 08:05 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]A wall is an important piece in keeping bad actors out, but the majority of people are jumping the border because they know they can get work here.  If someone can figure out a way to eliminate or severely disincentivize the desire for employers to use cheap illegal labor, then there would be very little pull for those people to come here illegally.

The bad actors have already made it through and are waiting for their orders.
(02-27-2024, 09:19 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2024, 02:49 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Illegal immigrants have been able to receive emergency medical care in all 50 states since the 1980s.

[Image: head-in-the-sand-heather-stinnett.jpg]

Why does it matter to you as a Floridian if New York is spending New Yorkers' tax dollars to be a little nicer to new immigrants?
(02-28-2024, 08:23 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2024, 09:19 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ][Image: head-in-the-sand-heather-stinnett.jpg]

Why does it matter to you as a Floridian if New York is spending New Yorkers' tax dollars to be a little nicer to new immigrants?

Cause they always stay where you put them.

What are you personally doing to support the migrant and Ukrainian refugee crisis by the way? Have you opened up a spot in your parents basement?
(02-28-2024, 08:37 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-28-2024, 08:23 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Why does it matter to you as a Floridian if New York is spending New Yorkers' tax dollars to be a little nicer to new immigrants?

Cause they always stay where you put them.

What are you personally doing to support the migrant and Ukrainian refugee crisis by the way? Have you opened up a spot in your parents basement?

Correct, they won't always stay in NY or IL or wherever. If they leave NY they stop getting these benefits. This is why the focus should remain on the *federal* policies that might bring them here or keep them away, and ignore the state level ones as much as possible, except of course for our state level policies that we vote and pay taxes for here in Florida.
Speaking of which, this is Florida, no one has a basement, and I guarantee I pay more federal tax than you
(02-28-2024, 09:33 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-28-2024, 08:37 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Cause they always stay where you put them.

Correct, they won't always stay in NY or IL or wherever. If they leave NY they stop getting these benefits.  This is why the focus should remain on the *federal* policies that might bring them here or keep them away, and ignore the state level ones as much as possible, except of course for our state level policies that we vote and pay taxes for.
Speaking of which, this is Florida, no one has a basement, and I guarantee I pay more federal tax than you

I literally grew up in a home in East Arlington that had a basement. Also, no you don't.  

Are ever right about anything? Good Lord.
Pages: 1 2