Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: DBs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This position group is loaded.

DAVON HOUSE

Our big defensive free agent last off-season. Came over in his first year and set a team record for PBU in a season. Did a respectable job of limiting the opponent's WR1 (sans Hopkins :/ ) Very good first season in our defensive system.

And he may be our 5th best DB...

AARON COLVIN

This guy was going to be a late first/high second round pick a few years ago. As we know he hurt his knee in the Senior Bowl and plummeted in the draft. We got a steal.

He hasn't been a shutdown corner by any means. But he is great value based on his 4th round draft position. I believe he led the NFL with sacks last year from a defensive back position. Obviously the suspension sucks but he will be a nice luxury to have when he comes back fresh week 5.

JONATHON CYPRIEN

Damn near a 1st round pick a few seasons ago, Cyp has largely been a disappointment. A disappointment, mainly, because he is absurdly talented, with his good size and speed. A very physical player, if it ever clicks for him we could have a very impressive strong safety. So far in camp, all the talk has been about how the additions to the defensive backfield has limited the young player's responsibilities and allowed Cyprien to shine. He has looked pretty good this preseason- making a nice pass-up last week against Tampa Bay.

If Cyp can ever adjust to the mental side of the game, he has all the tools to be a very solid enforcer-type Safety in this league.

PRINCE AMUKAMARA

Mid- first round pick a few years ago, Prince has been an above-average cornerback in this league for a handful of years. Above-average, that is, when healthy. If this guy can shake the injury-bug that has seemed to plague him his first few seasons in the league, Amukamara could be a free-agency steal. By all accounts, he has been a formidable opponent for the Jag's stellar passing game all throughout training camp (Yeah, yeah, yeah- ARob has gotten the best of him a few times; that happens to the best of 'em).

TASHAUN GIPSON

This dude has more interceptions than 98% of the league in his short career. He is supposed to be that key piece in Bradley's defense that we have so sorely missed the first few seasons of this regime. Gipson is that centerfielder type Safety that allows the rest of the D to operate efficiently knowing they are covered up top. 

Sky is the limit for the Jaguars' new ball-hawking Free Safety.

.................................................................................................

When you consider the amount of talent above, you can breathe easy knowing McCray, Gratz, and Marshall are buried on the depth chart (if on the team at all), and not having to start for the Jags as they have plenty of times in past seasons.

[Image: 90563320c845fb57baf62178849956c9.jpg]

JALEN RAMSEY

The crown Jewel of the Jaguars' secondary.

Arguably the best player in the draft, and one of the best DB prospects in the last decade. Somehow. Some way. Incredibly- Jalen lasted until the Jaguars' 5th pick of the 2016 draft (allowing them to grab quite possibly the 2nd best defensive prospect in the draft, Myles Jack, in the second round (?)(u done messed up, NFL).

Jalen Ramsey is what equates to a 5-tool player in baseball. He is physical enough to body up to large receivers (see: Evans, Mike) He is fast enough to run stride for stride (or catch-up if necessary) with any receiver in the league. Ramsey is quick enough to match up with shifty slot receivers or running backs while playing in the slot. Long enough to body up with bigger tight-ends. He's has "IT".

He is the real deal. He is going to be a star. 

If you think I am jumping the gun, being a homer, proclaiming #20 great before he has even played a game in the NFL, fine- suit yourself. Have your doubts. Lets meet back in a few months and we can talk about how I told you so. 

This guy knifed under the block a very serviceable right tackle on his first play in the NFL. He looked, taller, and faster, and more agile, and determined than every one else on the field. 

Jalen Rasmey is going to be an emphatic addition to an already formidable and talented defensive backfield.

TL;DR - Jags have what I think is the most talented secondary in the history of the franchise. If you think I am being a prisoner of the moment- show me a better one. I think these guys have the potential to be very, very good. I am excited to see how they come together as a unit.

Oh yeah- their average age is 25.

Smile

Ramsey is gonna be a beast.
Not sure we have ever had this much talent and depth in the secondary. It's pretty exciting. So excited to see how Ramsey is used... I really think he can be a DROTY candidate.
Quote:Ramsey is gonna be a beast.

Period. 
Lol at first I thought Ramsey's swagger in his latest interview was a little over the top, but now I'm like, we haven't had an over the top swagger like that in a looooong time.
I think Colvin is so overatted on this board. I've seen him get torched multiple times this preseason.
Quote:I think Colvin is so overatted on this board. I've seen him get torched multiple times this preseason.

He is our 4th corner. Name some other teams that have a better 4th corner.
Quote:I think Colvin is so overatted on this board. I've seen him get torched multiple times this preseason.

Which plays?
House is still the best corner out there for the Jags until Ramsey proves it (and he undoubtedly will IMO)

...or until Amukamara can prove he's better.

(Not as probable)

Colvin's a good nickel and less than stellar outside.

Gratz has looked better this preseason and represents solid depth.

Ramsey is gonna be really, really good. Popcorn ready.

McCray looks like he's trying to climb back up that cliff he fell off of last offseason. Might be good depth.

Gipson is going to flip the script on the sub-par play at FS. Huge, huge upgrade.

Cyp gonna' be Cyp. But he looks like he's on a mission to prove his worth. We'll see.

I hope Boddy-Calhoun, Johnson and Wilson make the PS at least. Promising talent.

I think House/Ramsey outside with Colvin in the slot will be the way it shakes out for the CBs (after suspension) and i think that's great.

Ramsey at nickel until then makes perfect sense and Amukamara makes that possible.

Good thing we have Prince
The big question is if Prince balls out this year, do we give him a lengthy deal before FA? Do we re-sign Colvin if he does? If Cyprien is mediocre this year, do we extend him or look for a new SS?

Quote:The big question is if Prince balls out this year, do we give him a lengthy deal before FA? Do we re-sign Colvin if he does? If Cyprien is mediocre this year, do we extend him or look for a new SS?
Prince may not get on the field much after week 4, and won't be a priority to re-sign but it would be great to keep him.

If Cyp fizzles, just draft a guy to compete with Sample.
Quote:The big question is if Prince balls out this year, do we give him a lengthy deal before FA? Do we re-sign Colvin if he does? If Cyprien is mediocre this year, do we extend him or look for a new SS?

Prince's contract situation is something I'm really interested in watching unfold. If he plays well, it's a hard decision to either extend him or let him walk. Especially if he sees his playing time decrease after week 4, would he even WANT to come back at that point?
Quote:LOL at first I thought Ramsey's swagger in his latest interview was a little over the top, but now I'm like, we haven't had an over the top swagger like that in a looooong time.

What did Ramsey say that sounded like too much swagger?

Quote:I think Colvin is so overated on this board. I've seen him get torched multiple times this preseason.

He is not overrated for a #4 CB. Watch how much better our secondary can be after the bye week.

When we sighted Amukamara I was surprised it was only a one-year deal. He has already proven with the Giants staying healthy is his only major problem.
Quote:Prince may not get on the field much after week 4

If Cyp fizzles, just draft a guy to compete with Sample.

Disagree about Prince. Agree on Cyp.
I think Prince is a better CB than House for our scheme.
Quote:Disagree about Prince. Agree on Cyp.
Disagree about him seeing the field after week 4,  or that he's a not a big priority to re-sign? 

If he's on the field week 5  after the bye, who else is out there and where are they lined up in your opinion? 

(just curious  - I'm glad we have multiple scenarios that involve talented players on the bench for our secondary)

Quote:Disagree about him seeing the field after week 4,  or that he's a not a big priority to re-sign? 

If he's on the field week 5, who else is out there and where? 

(just curious  - I'm glad we have multiple scenarios that involve talented players on the bench for our secondary)

None of our defensive backs will be on the field in Week 5.
Honestly, I think Prince fits our scheme very well. Here's a crazy scenario; what if Ramsey started playing in Cyps spot but less of an enforcer role and more a hybrid safety? Cyp has been such a disappointment and this way we could have Gipson, Ramsey, Prince, House and Colvin all on the field. With Telvin and Jack at LB this would be an incredible passing down package.

*Forgot to note that this would be strictly a passing down package only...unless it starts to be successful.
Quote:Honestly, I think Prince fits our scheme very well. Here's a crazy scenario; what if Ramsey started playing in Cyps spot but less of an enforcer role and more a hybrid safety? Cyp has been such a disappointment and this way we could have Gipson, Ramsey, Prince, House and Colvin all on the field. With Telvin and Jack at LB this would be an incredible passing down package.

*Forgot to note that this would be strictly a passing down package only...unless it starts to be successful.

Don't get too excited yet. Jalen Ramsey has only been a cornerback so far.
Pages: 1 2