Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars awarded 2 compensatory picks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
On Friday, the NFL announced that the Jaguars received a third-round pick (No. 96 overall) and a sixth-round pick (No. 212 overall) for the losses of Jawaan Taylor and Arden Key, respectively. Taylor joined the Kansas City Chiefs in free agency on a four-year, $80 million contract while Key signed with the Tennessee Titans on a three-year, $21 million deal.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2024/03...-2024-nfl/
It has been too long...I don't even remember the last time this team was awarded compensatory picks.
This is one of things lost in the Ridley debate. If he signs elsewhere for big money (which he will), we'll be back at the top of the list.

I'm guessing it'll offset a bit against whichever centre we sign but might still be worth a pick or two.

Shows that if you can get into the situation of not using free agency you can just have a cycle of comp picks and then trade them for players on the final year of their deal and let the cycle repeat.
Excellent news. Especially the 3rd.
Good to hear
(03-08-2024, 06:59 PM)wassy04 Wrote: [ -> ]This is one of things lost in the Ridley debate. If he signs elsewhere for big money (which he will), we'll be back at the top of the list.

I'm guessing it'll offset a bit against whichever centre we sign but might still be worth a pick or two.

Shows that if you can get into the situation of not using free agency you can just have a cycle of comp picks and then trade them for players on the final year of their deal and let the cycle repeat.

ok so now our outcomes are

A. Sign Ridley for 20+ million a year for 3-4 years and give Atlanta a 2nd round pick.
B. Don't sign Ridley for 20+ million and use that money to improve our OL and defense (IDL, CB, Safety) and give Atlanta a 3rd round pick. In addition we would most likely receive an extra 3rd round pick next year.

interesting decision ?  is this a decision ?
Good news. At least we still pick in the 3rd
Fortunately we've recouped our third round pick plus an sixth. We must hit on the third.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
(03-09-2024, 04:13 AM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]Fortunately we've recouped our third round pick plus an sixth. We must hit on the third.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

I just wish I had confidence in Baalke. He’s a decent GM on free agents and trades. Draft? Not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I previously saw something that said we had 2 3rd rounders with one going to the Falcons, so I thought this was an additional 3rd being awarded on top of that. Apparently this is just confirmation of the expected extra 3rd I had previously read about. Good news to be sure, but not on the level it was for me at first read unfortunately.
(03-08-2024, 11:41 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2024, 06:59 PM)wassy04 Wrote: [ -> ]This is one of things lost in the Ridley debate. If he signs elsewhere for big money (which he will), we'll be back at the top of the list.

ok so now our outcomes are

A. Sign Ridley for 20+ million a year for 3-4 years and give Atlanta a 2nd round pick.
B. Don't sign Ridley for 20+ million and use that money to improve our OL and defense (IDL, CB, Safety) and give Atlanta a 3rd round pick. In addition we would most likely receive an extra 3rd round pick next year.

I believe we’re past the point of a second if we sign him any time after Monday. May even be past it now
(03-09-2024, 09:41 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2024, 11:41 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]ok so now our outcomes are

I believe we’re past the point of a second if we sign him any time after Monday. May even be past it now

If we sign him before 4 Wed. We lose our 2nd
(03-08-2024, 06:38 PM)Jagulars Wrote: [ -> ]It has been too long...I don't even remember the last time this team was awarded compensatory picks.

13 years.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/statu...2502112578
(03-09-2024, 09:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2024, 09:41 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]I believe we’re past the point of a second if we sign him any time after Monday. May even be past it now

If we sign him before 4 Wed. We lose our 2nd

Thank you. I knew it was close
(03-09-2024, 10:58 AM)H8tank Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2024, 06:38 PM)Jagulars Wrote: [ -> ]It has been too long...I don't even remember the last time this team was awarded compensatory picks.

13 years.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/statu...2502112578

Wow. Little longer than I thought.
I was hoping for 3 instead of 2. I wanted a 7th rounder for the last pick in the draft. Just because
As expected.
Good stuff
If Mac either signs with someone else as a backup next year or a starter somewhere, I wonder how much that'd be worth to the comp pick calculator. Starting QB would surely be worth a 3rd, could be a great move.
(03-10-2024, 02:16 PM)wassy04 Wrote: [ -> ]If Mac either signs with someone else as a backup next year or a starter somewhere, I wonder how much that'd be worth to the comp pick calculator. Starting QB would surely be worth a 3rd, could be a great move.

The San Fran organization has historically been masters of comp pick strategy. Why the surprise?
Pages: 1 2