Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dog Has Cancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My dog was just diagnosed with colon cancer. Male boxer, approximately 9 years old. I am meeting with the vet this week to discuss options. I can't see myself agreeing to any expensive treatment, mainly because of his age. I am leaning towards keeping him comfortable through meds as long as possible, Anyone ever dealt with this?

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog's illness.
I had a German Shepherd that dies after a freak fall 2 years ago, he lived in agony 2 days before passing in the night. Had I realized he was definitely going to die I would have given him an easy, painless way out of this world, but my vet had given me hope. They are part of your family, but sometimes the financial cost of trying to keep them alive is too much.

I have lost 2 dogs to cancer.  My choice was to keep both of them around as long possible until they were beginning to suffer.  Once they were visually beginning to show signs of suffering I had them put down.  Bawled my eyes out both times but to this day I strongly believe it the humane thing to do for both parties.  My wife and children surrounded both dogs as they went on to the other side.

One of my best friends is treating his dog with daily chemo sessions for bone cancer right now. Seems to be working and the dog actually seems just fine by looking at him.
Quote:One of my best friends is treating his dog with daily chemo sessions for bone cancer right now. Seems to be working and the dog actually seems just fine by looking at him.

You must have a really rich friend.

Best thing to do is put the dog down. Maybe take it on a fun day, do all the things he loves. Feed em a filet mignon dinner. Tap a female dog in heat, then send him on into dog heaven.
My parents dog died after 1 treatment. Every dog's situation is different. Hoping for the best for your dog.
Quote:I have lost 2 dogs to cancer.  My choice was to keep both of them around as long possible until they were beginning to suffer.  Once they were visually beginning to show signs of suffering I had them put down.  Bawled my eyes out both times but to this day I strongly believe it the humane thing to do for both parties.  My wife and children surrounded both dogs as they went on to the other side.

That is the humane way to go about it. My wife and I actually had to make that decision just a couple days ago with one of our dogs. It's never easy. I can't imagine actually being there as the vet did it though. That would be too tough.
I'm sorry to hear about your pup. Sad
I have cancer. Really really bad cancer. If nothing else, i know what you're going through.

My best piece of advice, don't keep your dog around for selfish reasons. If he is suffering, be a friend and end his pain compassionately. I would hope my family would do that for me.

Quote:You must have a really rich friend.

Best thing to do is put the dog down.

I'll be sure to let him know.
Quote:I have lost 2 dogs to cancer.  My choice was to keep both of them around as long possible until they were beginning to suffer.  Once they were visually beginning to show signs of suffering I had them put down.  Bawled my eyes out both times but to this day I strongly believe it the humane thing to do for both parties.  My wife and children surrounded both dogs as they went on to the other side.
Were they on any type of medication until they were put down?
Quote:Were they on any type of medication until they were put down?
I can't recall.  It was something for pain the Vet prescribed.  Neither was on it for long.