Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: New York Times: ‘deep state’ is 'kind of awesome’
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New York Times opinion video declares ‘deep state’ is 'kind of awesome’

NY Times video defends 'deep state' figures against Trump attacks, calls them 'everyday superheroes'

The New York Times video opinion team took a cross-country trip for a project to humanize the "deep state," declaring it to be "kind of awesome" in its new report.

The piece, which is part article, part video essay, took aim at former President Trump’s constant rhetorical attacks against the "deep state," the phrase, often derogatory, employed for unelected bureaucrats he and his supporters believe work to stymie his agenda.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/new-york-t...nd-awesome
(03-19-2024, 05:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the actual video. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/19/opini...state.html

Yep, just affirmation from the NYT itself that it places political advocacy above journalism. No one is surprised.
(03-20-2024, 07:38 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-19-2024, 05:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the actual video. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/19/opini...state.html

Yep, just affirmation from the NYT itself that it places political advocacy above journalism. No one is surprised.

It's an opinion piece.  

Trump says he would fire the so-called "deep state."  So, who is this "deep state," anyway?  What do they do?  And what happens if they all got fired and replaced with political appointees?   Is the entire federal bureaucracy going to be fired and replaced with political appointees every time there's a new party in the White House?  Is this something we really want?  

I think there's legitimate room for discussion.
(03-20-2024, 08:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2024, 07:38 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, just affirmation from the NYT itself that it places political advocacy above journalism. No one is surprised.

It's an opinion piece.  

Trump says he would fire the so-called "deep state."  So, who is this "deep state," anyway?  What do they do?  And what happens if they all got fired and replaced with political appointees?   Is the entire federal bureaucracy going to be fired and replaced with political appointees every time there's a new party in the White House?  Is this something we really want?  

I think there's legitimate room for discussion.

Fair point. Goes back to the whole JFK era and wanting to shatter the CIA into splinters. There was also known scandals and backwards dealings going on within the FBI during his era with Hoover as the Director. 

It's worth noting that Bush Sr. was apart of the CIA (codename Big Poppy) as well. So, it just has a certain air and mystique to it I guess. I would categorize the "deep state" as your big alphabet soup agencies. The CIA, FBI, etc. 

Basically, it's the stuff Assange and Snowden got into a whole world of trouble and on the run for revealing classified information to the public. Everyone wants security, surveillance and intel working for them and their protection, not them abusing it to listen in on our private conversations, tap into our networks and spy on us with our own personal devices. 

The funny part, for me personally, is that, nothing will really change. We're so far gone now with technology that even if he did dismantle this aspect here or pulled some wires there networking wise with specific personnel? There will always be a shadow hand or group doing it's own thing with it's own personal budget. 

It's admirable, but, foolhardy. Government's and agencies are going to do whatever they want to do with specific people involved. Whether we like it or not. Doesn't mean I like it. Just means it's the reality of it.