Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: $20 minimum wage for burger flippers???? We'll just lay people off........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
California food chains laying off workers ahead of new minimum wage law

The new $20 minimum wage law applies to chains with 60 or more locations and will go into effect on April 1

Some California fast-food locations are letting go of workers ahead of a new $20 minimum wage law slated to take effect in April that could dramatically impact their bottom lines. 

Several eateries, particularly pizza chains, have begun to cut jobs, in an effort to get ahead of the possible financial repercussions, The Wall Street Journal reported. 
Michael Ojeda, 29, a Pizza Hut driver in Ontario, Calif., told the newspaper that he received a notice from Pizza Hut franchisee Southern California Pizza in December informing him that his last day of work would be in February.
"Pizza Hut was my career for nearly a decade and with little to no notice it was taken away," said Ojeda.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/fox-news-foo...m-wage-law
Great news. I look forward to a day of fully automated fast food restaurants that don't mess up your order, aren't rude to you, and don't expect a tip for doing their job.

UBI will be the next step for brain dead democrats with no job skills.
(03-25-2024, 08:40 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Great news. I look forward to a day of fully automated fast food restaurants that don't mess up your order, aren't rude to you, and don't expect a tip for doing their job.

[Image: 182c4347b2049849cc152b43bc68526f.gif]
(03-25-2024, 09:44 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-25-2024, 08:40 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Great news. I look forward to a day of fully automated fast food restaurants that don't mess up your order, aren't rude to you, and don't expect a tip for doing their job.

[Image: 182c4347b2049849cc152b43bc68526f.gif]

Is this Hamburger the motion picture? Lol

Well, the good thing is we'll be another step closer to the complete revolution we need to get us back on track.
If you just implemented UBI today with no other change, it would all go to the landlords eventually. Fewer people would be homeless, but most people will have less money for everything else.
The irony of all the liberals who lose their jobs because of policies they voted for... it's rich.
It pisses me off.
(03-26-2024, 11:47 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]If you just implemented UBI today with no other change, it would all go to the landlords eventually. Fewer people would be homeless, but most people will have less money for everything else.

It would all go towards gambling and drugs or whatever else you dem deadbeats use your government handouts on.
(03-26-2024, 05:56 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-26-2024, 11:47 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]If you just implemented UBI today with no other change, it would all go to the landlords eventually. Fewer people would be homeless, but most people will have less money for everything else.

It would all go towards gambling and drugs or whatever else you dem deadbeats use your government handouts on.

Jeez.  How many tenants do you have?

I'm not trying to say it's bad to be a landlord.  I'm just saying we have a housing shortage and if you throw more money at it without building more homes, it will do nothing but enrich landlords.
(03-26-2024, 06:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-26-2024, 05:56 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]It would all go towards gambling and drugs or whatever else you dem deadbeats use your government handouts on.

Jeez.  How many tenants do you have?

I'm not trying to say it's bad to be a landlord.  I'm just saying we have a housing shortage and if you throw more money at it without building more homes, it will do nothing but enrich landlords.
You missed the point. The money won't go to the landlords unless the government pays it directly. People who would get it generally don't make smart financial decisions. Now you add more money and whatever immediate dopamine high vice they enjoy will have more money.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
(03-27-2024, 12:06 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-26-2024, 06:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Jeez.  How many tenants do you have?

You missed the point. The money won't go to the landlords unless the government pays it directly. People who would get it generally don't make smart financial decisions. Now you add more money and whatever immediate dopamine high vice they enjoy will have more money.

I didn't miss it. I'm saying it's wrong.  Conservatives are supposed to believe in free market economics but they rarely seem to actually understand it.
If there are vacant usable homes on the market, or rent control, tenants will be free to use their extra money how they see fit, perhaps gambling and drugs
If there are not vacant usable homes on the market, and no rent control, the moment the landlord hears the tenant has more money, the rent will go up by approximately that amount.
Landlords don't miss these kinds of opportunities.
(03-27-2024, 05:53 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2024, 12:06 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]You missed the point. The money won't go to the landlords unless the government pays it directly. People who would get it generally don't make smart financial decisions. Now you add more money and whatever immediate dopamine high vice they enjoy will have more money.

I didn't miss it. I'm saying it's wrong.  Conservatives are supposed to believe in free market economics but they rarely seem to actually understand it.
If there are vacant usable homes on the market, or rent control, tenants will be free to use their extra money how they see fit, perhaps gambling and drugs
If there are not vacant usable homes on the market, and no rent control, the moment the landlord hears the tenant has more money, the rent will go up by approximately that amount.

If the last three years hasn't educated him, why would mere words?
(03-27-2024, 05:53 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2024, 12:06 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]You missed the point. The money won't go to the landlords unless the government pays it directly. People who would get it generally don't make smart financial decisions. Now you add more money and whatever immediate dopamine high vice they enjoy will have more money.

That's not exactly how it works.  The landlord doesn't have to hear the tenant has more money.  He just has to know there is someone out there who will pay more for the space.  He finds that out by looking at the rent on other properties.
Mike lives in fantasy land. Bless his heart.
(03-27-2024, 07:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Mike lives in fantasy land. Bless his heart.

There's nothing fantasy about inflation, what he's saying is exactly what happens when we increase the money supply.
(03-27-2024, 07:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2024, 05:53 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't miss it. I'm saying it's wrong.  Conservatives are supposed to believe in free market economics but they rarely seem to actually understand it.

That's not exactly how it works.  The landlord doesn't have to hear the tenant has more money.  He just has to know there is someone out there who will pay more for the space.  He finds that out by looking at the rent on other properties.

It doesn't appear that either of you have any firsthand experience with rental properties.  First of all, it's important to distinguish between residential and non-residential units, before drawing any conclusions.  

There are such things as contracts and a landlord cannot legally increase the rent "the moment the landlord hears the tenant has more money".  Also, not all landlords are focused on squeezing the last possible dollar out of a rental.  The generalization is simply not accurate.  Many prefer sacrificing somewhat for the advantages of stable, long-term tenants, who are far less trouble.  

Yes, there is a housing shortage just about everywhere across the country, but that is completely a factor of quantity, not price, and it will be years before supply catches up with demand.
(03-27-2024, 08:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2024, 07:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Mike lives in fantasy land. Bless his heart.

There's nothing fantasy about inflation, what he's saying is exactly what happens when we increase the money supply.

My comment was directed at his continued misunderstanding of the reality of landlording, not his obvious observation of government fueled inflation.

(03-27-2024, 08:10 AM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2024, 07:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]That's not exactly how it works.  The landlord doesn't have to hear the tenant has more money.  He just has to know there is someone out there who will pay more for the space.  He finds that out by looking at the rent on other properties.

It doesn't appear that either of you have any firsthand experience with rental properties.  First of all, it's important to distinguish between residential and non-residential units, before drawing any conclusions.  

There are such things as contracts and a landlord cannot legally increase the rent "the moment the landlord hears the tenant has more money".  Also, not all landlords are focused on squeezing the last possible dollar out of a rental.  The generalization is simply not accurate.  Many prefer sacrificing somewhat for the advantages of stable, long-term tenants, who are far less trouble.  

Yes, there is a housing shortage just about everywhere across the country, but that is completely a factor of quantity, not price, and it will be years before supply catches up with demand.

Middle paragraph should be in chapter 1 of all rental property books. Hit the nail directly on head.
(03-27-2024, 08:10 AM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2024, 07:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]That's not exactly how it works.  The landlord doesn't have to hear the tenant has more money.  He just has to know there is someone out there who will pay more for the space.  He finds that out by looking at the rent on other properties.

Yes, particular landlords may perceive their self interest a little differently.  But in the aggregate, if you need something, and there's a shortage of it, and I have some, I can charge whatever you're able to pay, which will typically be a hefty profit for me.  Again this stuff dates back to Adam Smith and David Ricardo.

As for timing, every month rental contracts expire, need to be renewed, new households form, etc. Every month. Price increases happen on the margin for the new market entrants. Just because your tenants are in long term deals and you can't immediately take advantage doesn't mean there aren't renters out there paying the new higher rates.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5