Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who is on your Jaguars Mt.Rushmore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just like the title says, who is on YOUR Jaguars Mount Rushmore? There is no wrong answer or right answer.

If you want to include “Been a fan since……(year)” so it adds some context.
Fred, Tony, Jimmy, [this space available]

Been a fan since Nov 30th 1993
Mark , Fred, Tony, Jimmy, Keenan, Trevor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(05-17-2024, 09:07 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: [ -> ]Mark , Fred, Tony, Jimmy, Keenan, Trevor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they're supposed to be retired.
Tony, Fred, Jimmy and Mark. I'm hopeful that Trevor and Josh are on it some day, but they aren't there yet.

Been a fan since before the franchise was awarded to Jacksonville.
(05-17-2024, 08:42 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Fred, Tony, Jimmy, [this space available]

Who are some candidates for your 4th spot?

Above response: It’s your Mount Rushmore, so you can put anyone on it, and they don’t have to be retired. They don’t even have to be players.
(05-17-2024, 08:22 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Just like the title says, who is on YOUR Jaguars Mount Rushmore? There is no wrong answer or right answer.

Fred Taylor, Tom Coughlin, Wayne Weaver, Jimmy Smith

(05-17-2024, 11:17 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2024, 08:22 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Just like the title says, who is on YOUR Jaguars Mount Rushmore? There is no wrong answer or right answer.

Fred Taylor, Tom Coughlin, Wayne Weaver, Jimmy Smith

Hope these change soon.

Real close for me are:  Tony's (Boselli and Brackens), Rashean Mathis, Mark Brunell, John Henderson, Marcus Stroud.
I have a soft spot for MJD really feel he was a poor man’s Barry Sanders but with more physicality. He has the franchise record in TDS no?

Freddy, Tony, Jaxson DVille, Vic Ketchman
RJ Soward, Matt Jones, Justin Blackmon, Derrick Harvey.  

The Jacksonville Jaguars "Busted First Round Pick Mount Rushmore."
(05-17-2024, 10:05 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2024, 08:42 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Fred, Tony, Jimmy, [this space available]

Who are some candidates for your 4th spot?

Above response: It’s your Mount Rushmore, so you can put anyone on it, and they don’t have to be retired. They don’t even have to be players.

currently, Trevor, ETN, and Josh Allen are candidates, if they can hit that next level in their careers.
Lol justin Blackmon. I remember watching him, he was just so shifty and fast on the field. He looked unstoppable a lot of times. Man what could have been.... hope he's doing good now.

Fred, Tony, Big John Henderson, and a toss up between Mark and Poz
Tony Boselli (obvious HOF), Freddy T (will be a HOF’er), Jimmy Smith (heck of a receiver, has an argument for the HOF), and the fourth? Oohhhh….torn between MJD for being the face of the franchise/multitime All Pro during the dark days….or if we are encompassing on the field prowess AND what he meant to the franchise I’m gonna throw a dark horse out and say the MAYOR, Calais Campbell: 3x Pro Bowler, 1x All Pro, WPMOTY…and he just added pinache to the team.
Fred, Tony, Jimmy Smith, John Henderson. If I was to add a 5th, it would be MJD.

Future nominees- Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence.
Boselli
Taylor
Jimmy Smith
Wayne Weaver
Tom Coughlin

These 5 are no-brainers for the obvious reasons. I considered adding Mark Brunell, but he just falls short. Much of his success was due to having weapons like Taylor, Smith and McCardell plus a superior offensive line. Had he taken the Jaguars to at least one Super Bowl, I'd have included him. Still a great Jaguar and best quarterback in team history (hopefully not for long).
(05-18-2024, 11:55 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]Boselli
Taylor
Jimmy Smith
Wayne Weaver
Tom Coughlin

These 5 are no-brainers for the obvious reasons. I considered adding Mark Brunell, but he just falls short. Much of his success was due to having weapons like Taylor, Smith and McCardell plus a superior offensive line. Had he taken the Jaguars to at least one Super Bowl, I'd have included him. Still a great Jaguar and best quarterback in team history (hopefully not for long).

Mark was robbed of a Super Bowl in 1999. Went into the locker room at halftime with the Rams on his mind. Then the bottom fell out, starting with a defensive stop in the 3rd quarter on 3rd down which forced the Titans to punt it back to the Jaguars….which was muffed, it was all over after that. 

Mark was also robbed of a Super Bowl in 1996, down 13-6 with the ball at the goal line and a chance to tie the game he threw a pick and then we had a chance to go back down and tie the game but James Stewart coughed up the rock and stuck a fork in the coffin and a nail through my heart. 

Chris Berman is my all-time favorite announcer, and he said Brunell was playing like an MVP, and was one of the best QBs in the NFL, at a time when guys like Steve McNair, Peyton Manning, Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Kordell Stewart, Rich Gannon, Brett Favre, Drew Bledsoe, Dan Marino, and John Elway among others were around. 

Brunell was also robbed of a Pro Bowl in 1998. In 1997 he threw 18TDs to 7 ints, with a record of 9 and 5, while missing 2 games. In 1998 he threw for 20 TDs to 8 ints, with a record of 10-3 and a career high 4 game-winning-drives, while missing 3 games.

Probably should have been selected as an All-Pro in 1996 as he led all QBs in rushing yards and passing yards. 

Possibly on the verge of a Pro Bowl season in 2000, but the 7-9 record didn’t cut the mustard.

Who remembers his legendary ‘return’ against the division rival Pittsburgh Steelers in 1997, after injuring his knee in a preseason game and was rumored to be lost for the entire season. He went 44 days from that injury until the the Steelers game. Brunell led the team down for a Touchdown on the first drive of the game. He finished the game with 306 yards passing, and finished the season even stronger with his 2nd Pro Bowl selection and a trip to the playoffs for the 2nd consecutive year in franchise history. After starting the season with back to back games as an inactive, Mark was selected as the 1997 Pro Bowl MVP. 

Brunell was a bonafide hooper, he was that dude.

I still hate the Vikings for what they did in that 2003 draft when they let the clock expire which led to the Jaguars drafting Byron Leftwich. Leftwich left Jacksonville after getting beat out by David Garrard in 2006, and Leftwich never won another game as a starter after that. Yep…he played another 5 seasons after he left Jacksonville and never won another game as the starting QB. Del-Rio should’ve kept Mark around until the end of the 2007 season, heck maybe even Jimmy hangs around another couple years to give Fred, Mark and Jimmy 1 last shot at the Super Bowl. But all good things come to an end, and sometimes sooner than anticipated. Jack messed up, and shouldn’t have been in that spot because Weaver should have kept Coughlin around until the end of that 2007 playoff run but at minimum the 2005 season. After all, Tom had his hand in drafting/acquiring guys like Henderson, Stroud, Mathis, Meester, Spicer, Fred, Brady, Naeole, Maurice Williams, and Jimmy Smith. 

If Mark stuck around until the end of the 2007 season, he would’ve once again faced off with the New England Patriots in 2005 and again in 2007. This meant Brunell would have faced off with the Patriots in the playoffs in 1996, 1998, 2005, 2007. 

Pretty cool to think about. 

Brunell is #1 on my Mount Rushmore. I’ve been a fan since 1993. If you followed the team since the beginning, Mark was everything to this team and at one point he was the leading rusher, passer, most first downs, most touchdowns. He helped get us that 1st franchise win up in Houston. He was the face of our franchise in mid to late 90’s. All the First Union and Burger King commercials. He was exciting to watch when he would tuck it and run. He was compared to Steve Young. 

Yeah, he’s #1 on my Rushmore.
Compelling argument, great memories. Ole Mark was special - when he was on - and carried the team during some critical stretches in its playoffs runs. His value to the team during its glory days on offense may be underrated.
Tony, Fred, Jimmy, Brunell
BTJ, Lawrence, Carnell Lake, Mike Sims-Walker.
This is easy:

Tony Boselli
Fred Taylor
Jimmy Smith
Mark Brunell

Logic is simple for me as well while being applied here. Until this franchise can show me another run of consistency that includes four straight play-off appearances, two AFC Championship game appearances and multiple players on the roster that are truly pro-bowl worthy (regardless whether that event is a joke now), with multiple memorable franchise plays, performances or moments?

It'll be difficult to topple these four players. I was five years old when this city was awarded it's team, I grew up spoiled. I know this. I watched this team flip my Dad from being a Steelers fan and my Mom and Grandfather from being Dolphins fans. All along that time frame seeing the Jaguars absolutely beat up on or straight up dominate those very same teams they cheered for.

I remember the Denver games. I remember the Buffalo and Miami games. I remember the records set, the big plays made, the narratives, the excitement. There was never a more fun time than being a Jaguars fan in the very beginning. Nothing has come close to matching that.

Even with the sparks found in 2017 and 2022. It was just that, sparks. That team from the 90's stood over an anvil for four straight years and kept the sparks flying, came close twice to winning it all. We may never see something like that again.
My Rushmore is a living monument. Unlike carving faces into stone.

Wayne Weaver - Owner who brought the new franchise to Jacksonville. Without Wayne there is no team. Call him the founding father. Shad Kahn after signing a new 30 year lease will replace him.

Tom Coughlin - The head coach that built a team from scratch that is still the yardstick all other Jag teams are measured against. He came back in 2017 and patched a team together for one year that reached the same level. (wasn't his fault the game had passed his management style by) Doug has the chance to replace Tom but he needs to get us to the promised land.

Tony Boselli - Our first draft pick and inductee into the Hall of fame. Not sure who could ever knock him off the mountain.

Mark Brunell - The QB, the straw that stirred the drink and face of the franchise in the 90's. Does TL have a chance here? That is presently being determined. Like Doug, to do that he needs to get us to the promised land.
Pages: 1 2