Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags vs Steelers 2007 AFC wild card game available on YouTube
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/8/26/1...ce=twitter

If this doesn't get you ready for football I don't know what will.
Quote:http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/8/26/1...ce=twitter

If this doesn't get you ready for football I don't know what will.

Both Jaguars wins in Pittsburgh that season are memorable games.   The Jags regular season win in the snow is probably the definition of the blueprint JDR wanted in that time period.    The playoff game is indeed a classic.  
Probably the best game Derek Landri ever played. Also, Marcedes Lewis is the only player left from that team.

David Garrard is my favourite Jaguar.
Quote:Probably the best game Derek Landri ever played. Also, Marcedes Lewis is the only player left from that team.

It wouldn't surprise me if Marcedes Lewis is already in the top 10 Jaguars players when it comes to team longevity.  With all of the criticism that has come Lewis' way,  his perseverance and commitment to the Jacksonville Jaguars stands out.  
Quote:  It wouldn't surprise me if Marcedes Lewis is already in the top 10 Jaguars players when it comes to team longevity.  With all of the criticism that has come Lewis' way,  his perseverance and commitment to the Jacksonville Jaguars stands out.  

This year will be his 11th with the team. I'm trying to think of anyone aside from Meester, Scobee and Taylor that has been with the team as long.
Quote:This year will be his 11th with the team. I'm trying to think of anyone aside from Meester, Scobee and Taylor that has been with the team as long.

In this era of Free Agency and the Salary Cap,  being with the same team for 11 straight seasons is certainly the exception,  not the norm.   Especially,  for players other than QBs,  Kickers,  Punters,  and Long Snappers. 
In retrospect, would Lewis be considered worthy of his draft position?

He never really became what we expected, but he's had a pretty nice career, and for a handful of years was a dominant blocker.
I've never had a problem with him, but there were many on this board that wanted to cut/trade him over so many seasons.

Quote:In retrospect, would Lewis be considered worthy of his draft position?

He never really became what we expected, but he's had a pretty nice career, and for a handful of years was a dominant blocker.

That's a tough call.   On one hand,  Marcedes Lewis has had a very long career with the Jaguars and has been one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL.   On the other hand,  the Jaguars passed on C Nick Mangold,  who went to the Jets with the next pick.     Brad Meester was on top of his game back then.   Yet,  in the long run,  Mangold became a very high level Center.    One can make a case either way regarding the answer to the great question you asked. 
Quote:That's a tough call.   On one hand,  Marcedes Lewis has had a very long career with the Jaguars and has been one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL.   On the other hand,  the Jaguars passed on C Nick Mangold,  who went to the Jets with the next pick.     Brad Meester was on top of his game back then.   Yet,  in the long run,  Mangold became a very high level Center.    One can make a case either way regarding the answer to the great question you asked.

Thanks D6. Kind of interesting to think about.
Quote:Thanks D6. Kind of interesting to think about.

It sure is.

These are the type of questions that interest me greatly as an NFL fan.   There's often not a simple yes or no answer.   

Overall,   I think the Jaguars selection of Marcedes Lewis was a good choice when looking at it over 10 years later.   It probably wasn't the maximum value choice.  But all things considering,  the selection worked out well when compared to the typical value a team gets from a given draft pick resource.  
Quote:In retrospect, would Lewis be considered worthy of his draft position?

He had a nice career but you don't take a tight end in the first round for his blocking ability. They need to be a receiving threat as well. He only had more than 4 TDs and 700 yards receiving once in his career. 

Long career, found his niche as a blocking tight-end but big picture, not worthy of a first round selection. 
Bobby McCray was the hero of that game.
Quote:Bobby McCray was the hero of that game.
Debatable.

Derek Landri played the game of his life. Grady Jackson shut down many of run plays.

And Mathis had 2 picks.
I'm surprised the Miami game wasn't one of the top 3. 

John Henderson was a big man, but Grady Jackson was a REALLY big man. 

I think that if the Jags actually had Say  A-Rob that year, we could have gone further. 

That was a great game.  Enjoyed it almost as much as the upset in Denver in 96.

Big Ben loved throwing footballs to Rashean Mathis.

The Steelers should have traded for him and made him a WR lol

Pages: 1 2