Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars finally getting production from running game..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With power run game I meant..
I read T.J. Yeldon and Chris Ivory are splitting carries evenly this year. That is the plan.

I would not say it is going to be 50 / 50 on carries overall this year for sure, but they will spell each other's carries. I think if one runner or the other gets going really well, they will go with him and just fill in with the other guy.
Just to be "that guy" for a moment, but it annoys me when the term "power run game" is used to describe a team without a Fullback. "Power" comes from the old I Formation playcall where the Fullback lead the Tailback up through the called gap and blocked the first bad guy he saw. 

Our run game is not exclusively power, and is really only that when in short yardage. Hell, it might not even be an option this season since that phase of it fell on it's face so badly last year (First and Goal versus Buffalo anyone?).,

Anyway, [/rant / JDub Moment]

Quote:Just to be "that guy" for a moment, but it annoys me when the term "power run game" is used to describe a team without a Fullback.

They aren't running the "I" just yet,  but did you notice them using Koyack as a lead blocker a few times last week?  

They even lined him up beside the tackle but motioned him to the backfield on one play. 

On one of Ivory's 8-10 yd runs I remember JT and Koyack having nice blocks to spring him. (though he shot between Koyack and the Tackle instead of between the TEs as was probably designed)  Nonetheless, they blocked well. JT just pancaked the SS.

I miss the FB personally, but I do like what Olson is up to with the TE usage in the run game. 
Quote:They aren't running the "I" just yet,  but did you notice them using Koyack as a lead blocker a few times last week?  

They even lined him up beside the tackle but motioned him to the backfield on one play. 

On one of Ivory's 8-10 yd runs I remember JT and Koyack having nice blocks to spring him. (though he shot between Koyack and the Tackle instead of between the TEs as was probably designed)  Nonetheless, they blocked well. JT just pancaked the SS.

I miss the FB personally, but I do like what Olson is up to with the TE usage in the run game. 

Yeah, TE / H Back is the new Fullback I guess. It just seems to limit the effectiveness of the "move" Tight Ends some because it's easier for a LB to post up on them and get a jam off the line. Still, if it works, it works!
Quote:I would not say it is going to be 50 / 50 on carries overall this year for sure, but they will spell each other's carries. I think if one runner or the other gets going really well, they will go with him and just fill in with the other guy.

When we signed Chris Ivory, I read conflicting reports:

1. Make Ivory a pass blocker and red zone runner.

2. A 50/50 split when both players are healthy.

Now I am only reading a 50/50 is the plan and working perfectly. It has been months since I read anything about one or the other exclusively being a situational runner.
I'm a little surprised to see them use Koyack and Bowman at FB. They liked Alualu last year, so I figure part of that has to do with him being so much bigger than your average FB. With that in mind I thought for sure Nic Jacobs would be the TE targeted for the FB role. I guess size is not all that matters here.

I was shocked we used #93 as a fullback. How did coaches get that crazy idea? That is just too weird. My assumption was Toby Gerhart would move to fullback because he is better at blocking than running.

Quote:When we signed Chris Ivory, I read conflicting reports:

1. Make Ivory a pass blocker and red zone runner.

2. A 50/50 split when both players are healthy.

Now I am only reading a 50/50 is the plan and working perfectly. It has been months since I read anything about one or the other exclusively being a situational runner.

Don't believe everything you read.
Quote:Don't believe everything you read.

Are you seeing something different on the field?