Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Have To Keep One: Nick Marshall or Corey Grant?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
If you had to cut one and keep the other, who would you choose?

Marshall

That's easy Marshall.

Wonder who the one vote is.........
Marshall.

Quote:Wonder who the one vote is.........

Wink
Why did you choose those two players for this type of question?

Quote:Why did you choose those two players for this type of question?

I'm guessing it's 'cuz they're both really fast.

Definitely Nick Marshall
Quote:Wink

If he ever somehow gets any good you will automatically win any argument on this.
Marshall.

Quote:Why did you choose those two players for this type of question?
Because it's a subject that he wants to know about! It's his post so why does it matter to you?
Id easily say Marshall at this point. I think he has a higher ceiling as well still.

Quote:I'm guessing it's 'cuz they're both really fast.
No, I chose these two because they are both 'projects.'
Marshall, I guess. I doubt either will be a big factor.

Maybe a little more upside with Marshall.
They both suck, but I guess Grant.
Marshall, without a doubt.
Quote:They both suck, but I guess Grant.

How does Marshall suck?
Let's look at this a little deeper. That is, who is truly more valuable to this team.

Now it's not so much just a question of speed. Yeah, Corey IS the fastest player on the team, but Nick Marshall is probably #2. Heck, he might even be just as fast. We're talking here about world class speed, which only a handful of players at any given time possess. So if it's just a question of speed, you tell yourself CB is more valuable than RB and you keep Marshall. But not so fast. You see, Marshall is buried deep on the depth chart at CB.... so deep that when Colvin returns they'll probably have to waive him due to the roster numbers game that all NFL teams must play. Moreover, he may find himself inactive for much of the season, and you can see on his returns that despite being fast, he doesn't have Corey's vision and natural instincts to truly break out.

Here's the thing...

I'm not looking at Corey Grant and saying he's the next Fred Taylor. I realize he doesn't have the flashy moves and agile cutting ability that starting RBs use to create holes where they might not otherwise exist, and this is what you guys mean when you say "he's not a real RB." But we're not asking Corey to start. We're asking him to play a role... a very key role as a KR and scat back where he should be active most weeks.

We've already seen on returns that Corey consistently picks up good yards, and that he can break out with the sllghtest coverage breakdown. Is he one of the best KRs in the league? Hardly, but he's a good one. You don't see Corey dancing around in the backfield or trying to run around coverage. Rather he fields the ball and takes off downfield in a hurry. I can't tell you how often I yell at the screen for returners to do that instead of running around and losing yards or getting nowhere. Corey gets his yards.

That said, it's as a RB that I'm so excited about Corey. You see, as a scat back they'll put him in special situations... gimmick plays if you will... where he'll get a chance to put his speed to good use. Yeah, you actually have to give Corey a hole to run through. I understand that. But with said hole, you never know where he'll end up. I see him scamper for 6 or 7 yards like it's nothing, and if a defender is late closing his gap, he could go for 80. It's that potential for breakout that has me so excited. He may only get like 5 carries tops in a game, and he probably gets 5 to 10 yards on a couple, and is stuffed on a couple, but that 5th carry is a TD. This is a huge asset for the team compared to a dime corner clinging to his roster spot by a thread and rarely seeing the field.

Quote:How does Marshall suck?

Because I watch him. And I watch the rest of our defensive backs play, and he's probably the worst one on the team. I don't see Marshall making the team, while Grant probably will.
Pages: 1 2 3 4