Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Final LB Spot: Hayes Pullard or Jordan Tripp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seems like the Otto spot will be locked down by Skuta and Ryan Davis. Poz and Myles Jack at the Mike. So who is the backup to Telvin?

I thought Tripp played pretty well at the end of last season. But Pullard had a good camp. He stood out in the scrimmage against Tampa last week and was all over the field in the game Saturday.

I suppose Armbrister could be in the conversation, but he's been mostly invisible this preseason/camp.

I doubt they both make it. Will be interesting to watch each the next two weeks.

I'm thinking Tripp is making the 53, and Pullard is making the PS.

As for Armbrister, I get the feeling he's in a dead heat battle with Holmes for perhaps the final roster spot. That last spot could come down to saying, choose one player...

1. a veteran backup QB, meaning Henne or a free agent (I'm presuming Allen makes the roster)

2. a 6th WR, as in the loser between Benn and Walters

3. a 3rd OTTO, as in the loser between Armbrister and Holmes

4. an 11 DL, as in Bennett or Werner (I'm presuming Alualu makes the roster)

5. a 5th TE, as in the loser between Jacobs and Koyack (I'm presuming Bowman is the 3rd TE)

6. a 5th RB, as in Banyard or Marshall

7. a 5th S, as in Wolff or Evans

8. a 5th non-OTTO LB, as in Pullard or Bartu

Personally I'd choose #2, meaning I'd rather keep both Benn and Walters. Presuming Holmes and Jacobs win their respective battles here, this means I'm cutting Henne, Armbrister, Bennett, Werner, Koyack, Banyard, Marshall, Wolff, Evans, Pullard and Bartu.

Tripp -

But the guy that stands out on special teams the next two weeks is probably the guy that gets it.

That's where they're most likely to help anyway.
They talked about this on Jaguars Monday, according to Boselli:

Pullard is the better special teamer and MLB.

Tripp is better in space.
Quote:Tripp -

But the guy that stands out on special teams the next two weeks is probably the guy that gets it.

That's where they're most likely to help anyway.

Yep.

Jack can serve as the primary backup to both Poz and Telvin. The 6th LB will make most of his impact on ST.

Quote:They talked about this on Jaguars Monday, according to Boselli:

I'm not sure that Pullard is better on STs. A couple weeks ago they were saying Tripp was our best ST ace.

Quote:They talked about this on Jaguars Monday, according to Boselli:

Just re-listened. They said they weren't sure who was better at STs but Pullard plays on all 4 teams.
Quote:Just re-listened. They said they weren't sure who was better at STs but Pullard plays on all 4 teams.

Ah.

Also keep in mind that saying Tripp is our best ST ace isn't exactly saying much after watching our coverage so far.

I think the odd man out is Ryan Davis actually.

I see 

POZ, Telvin, Myles, Skuta, Pullard, and Tripp making the team

Quote:I think the odd man out is Ryan Davis actually.

I see 

POZ, Telvin, Myles, Skuta, Pullard, and Tripp making the team

I have to think the team keeps at least one backup OTTO whether it's Ryan Davis, Holmes or Armbrister, 

Tripp makes the team over Pullard.

Not really that tough of a choice 

Quote:I'm thinking Tripp is making the 53, and Pullard is making the PS.

As for Armbrister, I get the feeling he's in a dead heat battle with Holmes for perhaps the final roster spot. That last spot could come down to saying, choose one player...

<ul class="bbcol decimal">[*]a veteran backup QB, meaning Henne or a free agent (I'm presuming Allen makes the roster)
[*]a 6th WR, as in the loser between Benn and Walters
[*]a 3rd OTTO, as in the loser between Armbrister and Holmes
[*]an 11 DL, as in Bennett or Werner (I'm presuming Alualu makes the roster)
[*]a 5th TE, as in the loser between Jacobs and Koyack (I'm presuming Bowman is the 3rd TE)
[*]a 5th RB, as in Banyard or Marshall
[*]a 5th S, as in Wolff or Evans
[*]a 5th non-OTTO LB, as in Pullard or Bartu
</ul>Personally I'd choose #2, meaning I'd rather keep both Benn and Walters. Presuming Holmes and Jacobs win their respective battles here, this means I'm cutting Henne, Armbrister, Bennett, Werner, Koyack, Banyard, Marshall, Wolff, Evans, Pullard and Bartu.

Hey '02 (or anyone else) how do the our coverage team needs affect this decision in your opinion?
Quote:I have to think the team keeps at least one backup OTTO whether it's Ryan Davis, Holmes or Armbrister, 
I think Holmes is likely PS bound. Davis is likely to be back up Otto and Leo!
Quote:I think Holmes is likely PS bound. Davis is likely to be back up Otto and Leo!

Yeah, i think Holmes ends up there too. 
Quote:I have to think the team keeps at least one backup OTTO whether it's Ryan Davis, Holmes or Armbrister, 

I think they will cross-train Jack in the next couple of weeks at Otto as well.

I just don't see any room for Ryan Davis
Jordan Tripp, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dave creatively finds a way to keep both.

Doesn't Tripp play all 3 positions at LB?  

Quote:Hey '02 (or anyone else) how do the our coverage team needs affect this decision in your opinion?

I hadn't considered this as it's tough to even know what players are on the unit. Among those I'd cut, the only ST players I know of are Marshall, Pullard, Armbrister and Bartu. I'm thinking Evans no longer plays on STs. Quite frankly, our ST coverage is so bad that I losing a few guys probably makes little difference. I'm thinking they should put a few starters in the coverage units to beef it up a bit so we're not routinely gashed by KRs and PRs.

Tripp easily.
Quote:Hey '02 (or anyone else) how do the our coverage team needs affect this decision in your opinion?

The coverage team needs could  affect this decision, but it's a bit unlikely.

That's because what the coverage team really appears to need is two stud gunners that can shed blocks and get to the returner.  That's usually not a LB.  Could be - but back-up DB and WR (sometimes RB)  seem to be more common at gunner.

Last year PFF's top 5 gunners by rating were two WRs and three DBs.  
Pages: 1 2