Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: OL Depth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I was thinking about our OL depth today. And I was actually surprised at what I noticed. If we say the starting line is:

Beach, Joke, Linder, Cann, Parnell.

We have Shatley and Bo (when healthy) as backup C. Shatley played pretty well against NY.

We have Luke to take over at LT if Beach gets hurt, possibly even to take over RT if Parnell goes down. And we can all agree he's been better.

At guard we have Reed who played well against NY, and surprisingly Bernadeau who played well against TB.

We then have Wells around as a swing tackle as well who was serviceable at LT.

After sitting down and really looking at it, and how well they seemed to play these two weeks, maybe our OL depth isn't quite as dangerous as we thought,

I want to feel confident in this group and agree they have been better, so far, than I expected.  I'm hesitant though until the real games start and we start seeing some game planning.  

The names on the OL are mostly the same even if the positions have shifted around.  I'm still a little worried that assignments will get missed when defenses are trying to confuse them and Blake will be running for his life, making plays outside the pocket again like last season.

As long as Linder and Cann are in there, it should at least be an average o-line. I'm going to take a wait and see approach with Joeckel. I would love to see him playing well into the season, but the pessimist in me tells me to wait. As long as we can run the ball with these guys, I'll be happy
Its just preseason ... Dont be blinded my friend.... When the season start and these guys under constant harassment then the truth will cone out..
I like what I saw with Joke at guard.

My only question is why did they wait until now to make the move. He is a natural at guard.
Quote:I like what I saw with Joke at guard.

My only question is why did they wait until now to make the move. He is a natural at guard.

Because the investment was for an LT.

The saving grace is, if he's truly meant to be at LG, they can now sign him at LG money.
I hate it when people look at Luke Joeckel's preseason performances and say he might have earned the starting job. How does anybody earn the starting job when he is the only healthy player at his position? He is our starting LT because it is not time yet to let Kelvin Beachum practice or play. It is like the 49ers refusing to name a starting QB. Most people want to believe the healthy player is by far the favorite to win a starting job in this situation. Teams don't think that way.

Quote:I like what I saw with Joke at guard.

So why did he only play LT in college and most of his NFL career?
It's only preseason as others have said but we need to invest in the oline next offseason whether that means signing a proven veteran or a high draft pick (top 3 rounds). Protecting Bortles is #1 as he is showing he can be that franchise QB. 

Quote:It's only preseason as others have said but we need to invest in the oline next offseason whether that means signing a proven veteran or a high draft pick (top 3 rounds). Protecting Bortles is #1 as he is showing he can be that franchise QB. 

Last year run blocking was worse than pass blocking. Blake Bortles stayed healthy and kept plays alive. Running backs got hurt and were stuffed at the line of scrimmage. It is pretty obvious which plays are offensive linemen are better at.
Quote:Last year run blocking was worse than pass blocking. Blake Bortles stayed healthy and kept plays alive. Running backs got hurt and were stuffed at the line of scrimmage. It is pretty obvious which plays are offensive linemen are better at.

He stayed healthy but he was def in the top 5 in sacks taken by QBs. I'm surprised he didnt get hurt. 
Quote:He stayed healthy but he was def in the top 5 in sacks taken by QBs. I'm surprised he didnt get hurt. 

He avoided injuries by playing like Aaron Rodgers when the pocket collapsed.
Quote:He avoided injuries by playing like Aaron Rodgers when the pocket collapsed.

I wouldn't go that far but I'd prefer less sacks for our starting QB. They have given him plenty of time this preseason and he has looked phenomenal. 
Quote:Its just preseason ... Dont be blinded my friend.... When the season start and these guys under constant harassment then the truth will cone out..

It's just preseason....but u done just made a thread about judgin that there Gus on the fact that he done just lost them there last 2 preseason games, so I dunno if this here post should be worth a damn or not.
Need some help writing English Treestone? Your grammar is terrible.

Quote:Need some help writing English Treestone? Your grammar is terrible.

Go back in your litter box.
I think we're seeing what the focus of next year's draft will be, provided that Beachum and Joeckel don't prove out as being a satisfactory LG - LT combo. The team needs LB and Secondary depth (what team out there doesn't?) but the glaring need is to shore up the Offensive Line. And who knows, they may even go big at RT in order to procure Parnell's replacement.

It's kind of a good feeling when there's only one or two spots that need to be addressed instead of All 22.

Quote:I think we're seeing what the focus of next year's draft will be, provided that Beachum and Joeckel don't prove out as being a satisfactory LG - LT combo. The team needs LB and Secondary depth (what team out there doesn't?) but the glaring need is to shore up the Offensive Line. And who knows, they may even go big at RT in order to procure Parnell's replacement.

It's kind of a good feeling when there's only one or two spots that need to be addressed instead of All 22.

True. I didn't mean to say OL isn't the weak spot, but it's not as doom and gloom as originally thought. I actually think our secondary depth is pretty good, outside of FS
Quote:True. I didn't mean to say OL isn't the weak spot, but it's not as doom and gloom as originally thought. I actually think our secondary depth is pretty good, outside of FS

Yeah, but it always seems like a team can use a talent upgrade in the back end. I would really love if Jabril Peppers somehow made his way onto the roster, but I'm also hoping that the team will not be in a position to do that.
Patriots released Bryan Stork. Could be worth a look
Pages: 1 2