Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell's biggest gamble
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Bortles is his biggest gamble (so far working out). Low risk but good reward signing Marks.

His biggest to not pan out... Joeckel or Bradley?
Joeckel showing lately that he just may work out. Bradley now has an absurd amount of talent on this team, this will be a very telling year. Myles Jack could be listed as a gamble as well, time will tell.
Joeckel was not a gamble

How is Joeckel a 'gamble'?  He was considered (at the time) to be one of the top two LTs in a weak draft and one of the safest picks.

To tell the truth, I don't see how Bradley was a 'gamble' at the time either.  There were a lot of teams interested in him.  And, you know what, just like Del Rio if he is released here he is going to end up coaching another team.  Mark it down.

I'd say Jack is easily his biggest gamble to date. Dave has been a careful drafter overall so far. Joeckel was seen as a can't miss prospect at LT when he came out, Bortles' stock was steadily rising (that may be the biggest surprise pick, but not gamble). He has been mostly a needs drafter up to this year (we have had so many needs, it was hard not to be), I think his first round picks will remain "Safe" picks, but we may see more gambles in later rounds going forward.

You could argue Bortles or Jack. I'd lean towards Jack since Bortles was considered by many to be the top QB and was shooting up draft boards.

Jack is still even hard to call a gamble. A consensus top 5 pick dropping to the second round. It's hard not to take him at that point.

One thing is for sure... Caldwell hasn't had a Gene type gamble.

Quote:Joeckel showing lately that he just may work out. Bradley now has an absurd amount of talent on this team, this will be a very telling year. Myles Jack could be listed as a gamble as well, time will tell.
I think that you must be referring to Joeckels performance during the preseason so far in suggesting he 'may work out'. Keep in mind that this is the preseason and all too often has little bearing on how someone (like Joeckel, for instance) will actually perform during the regular season. We've already seen Joeckel 'in action' during a couple of regular seasons and so far he has been disappointing. Let's hope that he does 'work out' as we need him to succeed for us rather than continue to be a liability on our o-line.

As far as Bradley goes, this will be the first season where he has a legitimately loaded offense and defense. Albeit, too many of the players on the defense are rookies; talented rookies, but rookies nevertheless. Consequently, it would be unreasonable to suggest (as some have) that Bradley must make it to the post-season this year or be fired. It's possible it could happen (just as it's possible I could win the next mega-lottery) but the odds are against it. So many rookies on defense this season will keep us out of serious contention for the play offs; that's just the way it is. However, we should at the very least achieve an 8-8 record this season. If we can't do that this season with this kind of a roster (barring injury to key personnel like the QB, for instance) then the onus is clearly on Bradley and there should be a change at the HC position. 

So I guess that the 'bigger gamble' has to be the head coach as there is far more at stake for the team if he fails than if Joeckel continues to disappoint.
Quote:I think that you must be referring to Joeckels performance during the preseason so far in suggesting he 'may work out'. Keep in mind that this is the preseason and all too often has little bearing on how someone (like Joeckel, for instance) will actually perform during the regular season.

Really?!
Quote:Joeckel showing lately that he just may work out.

Until his first whiff when going against a formidable opponent during a real game (see JJ Watt, et al.) Hopefully get gets moved to guard, less chance of someone going around him.
Quote:I think that you must be referring to Joeckels performance during the preseason so far in suggesting he 'may work out'. Keep in mind that this is the preseason and all too often has little bearing on how someone (like Joeckel, for instance) will actually perform during the regular season. We've already seen Joeckel 'in action' during a couple of regular seasons and so far he has been disappointing. Let's hope that he does 'work out' as we need him to succeed for us rather than continue to be a liability on our o-line.

As far as Bradley goes, this will be the first season where he has a legitimately loaded offense and defense. Albeit, too many of the players on the defense are rookies; talented rookies, but rookies nevertheless. Consequently, it would be unreasonable to suggest (as some have) that Bradley must make it to the post-season this year or be fired. It's possible it could happen (just as it's possible I could win the next mega-lottery) but the odds are against it. So many rookies on defense this season will keep us out of serious contention for the play offs; that's just the way it is. However, we should at the very least achieve an 8-8 record this season. If we can't do that this season with this kind of a roster (barring injury to key personnel like the QB, for instance) then the onus is clearly on Bradley and there should be a change at the HC position. 

So I guess that the 'bigger gamble' has to be the head coach as there is far more at stake for the team if he fails than if Joeckel continues to disappoint.

Have you not been paying attention to the rest of the AFC south? We won't be in serious contention? I disagree. Also, we have one rookie who will be starting on D, hardly a reason to count us out. You need some koolaide man!
Quote:Until his first whiff when going against a formidable opponent during a real game (see JJ Watt, et al.) Hopefully get gets moved to guard, less chance of someone going around him.

Minus the Texans, he wasn't awful last year. Not great, but not awful. I'm hopeful of what he can do at guard from what I've seen this preseason, just have to hope Beachum comes back strong.
Quote:How is Joeckel a 'gamble'?  He was considered (at the time) to be one of the top two LTs in a weak draft and one of the safest picks.

To tell the truth, I don't see how Bradley was a 'gamble' at the time either.  There were a lot of teams interested in him.  And, you know what, just like Del Rio if he is released here he is going to end up coaching another team.  Mark it down.

The gamble is keeping him this year, it looks like he was one of the Next in Line coaches who plateau at Coordinator.
If you say so.

Quote:The gamble is keeping him this year, it looks like he was one of the Next in Line coaches who plateau at Coordinator.

5 games in we better not be 2-3.. I think if khan doesn't pull the plug at that point it'd be silly because one things for sure

marrone has showed dramatic improvement, what has gus's defense shown?

move marrone up top and let's see how this team as a whole starts playing.. I like that steely eye lookin dude

edit: greg olson not marrone.. duh

Quote:The gamble is keeping him this year, it looks like he was one of the Next in Line coaches who plateau at Coordinator.

That makes sense.

I'd say Caldwell's biggest gamble was on Parnell. Big contract for a career backup at a key position where keeping a franchise QB alive is of utmost importance.

House fits the backup-getting-starter-contract gamble too, but it wouldn't have been such a disaster if House failed.

Nobody but the OP has commented on it in this thread, but it's obvious from reactions from fans that his biggest gamble so far has been Gus Bradley.

I'd view Telvin Smith as a gamble, Denard Robinson as a gamble, and Allen Robinson as a gamble.
Meh... MOST of his FA signings are signed to team friendly deals, so not really any gambles paying big for some guy who didn't work out. (Otherwise Zane and Toby might be my picks)

Bringing in Hardy for a visit, maybe?

Draft-wise?

I don't see any gambles. 

At the time the Bortles pick was a slight shocker to some, but not to those who really pay attention.

Any pick that is after round 3 I can't consider a gamble.

He hasn't drafted out of position really (5th rounders in the 2nd or anything like that, or character concern guys drafted high, a la JB)
Telvin - a bit undersized coming out... but a 5th round pick. Denard - Position change, again in 5th. I can kind of go along with these, but they were both late round picks, not like they were taken in round 1-3. Allen Robinson had a rd 2-3 draft grade and was a 2 time team leading receiver. I cannot consider him a "gamble" that being said. Of course he has turned out to be elite, and if everyone had known, would have been a first-rounder.

I think continuing to have Henne be our back up for one more year so that other things could be addressed is his biggest "gamble".
Pages: 1 2 3