Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Uber makes big step towards self driving cars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.clark.com/uber-brings-us-anot...ce=twitter

Not quite sure what to think about this. Part of me is estatic that when my kids start driving in 12 years, this will be a solid, proven, technology by then and probably reduce automobile deaths by the millions, but in the meantime, it should be interesting.

My main curiosity about self-driving cars is how they account for human error of the other cars on the road that aren't self-driving. A good defensive driver has instincts that I'm not sure can be replaced by a machine at this point in time.

I look forward to watching this technology develop over the next decade!
Sweet. I had the opportunity to ride around in a Tesla a few months ago. Very surreal.
Self Driving ..... I'm all for it as long as I can start drinking in the car again.  Back in the 1980's where I grew up, cops would just tell us to dump our beer.  Imagine that !!

Quote:Self Driving ..... I'm all for it as long as I can start drinking in the car again. Back in the 1980's where I grew up, cops would just tell us to dump our beer. Imagine that !!

I had one who made me pour a bottle of rum out on the side of the road years and years ago.. Kinda lucky since I was mixing rum and cokes down blanding blvd as a kid..
very cool and unnerving at the same time. we still can't make basic sensors like air to fuel sensors fail proof and we're essentially going to be using sensors to drive vehicles on a drive-by-wire system. 

Infinity has been messing with this drive-by-wire idea for a few years now and it's been a mess. They had to recall the entire line back in 07 because the failure rate was so bad. At some point they'll have to retro-act older vehicles and make it mandatory they have vehicle 2 vehicle communication sensors, how they do that will be a little tricky politically. 

I know at some point I'll get in my truck and hit some button that drives me the hour to work and when that day arrives I'll probably really enjoy it. It's just getting to that point, I don't see how it won't be messy. 

These self driving cars/trucks are very cool but what happens when they accidently hit someone or when people start throwing themselves in front of them? Big lawsuit just waiting to happen.