Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Justice Department says it will end use of private prisons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post...68cff5f78e

Personally I think this is fantastic news.  Hopefully states will follow suit.  

Quote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post...68cff5f78e

Florida won't until Scott is out of office. He gets too many donations from the private prison industry.
Non violent offenders headed back to a community near you.
I think close to 70% of inmates incarcerated are on small weed charges. Without them there is no profit in private penal systems. Legalize it and you won't need 70% of the prison space currently occupied.

Quote:I think close to 70% of inmates incarcerated are on small weed charges. Without them there is no profit in private penal systems. Legalize it and you won't need 70% of the prison space currently occupied.

Do you have a source for that?

I don't know the number, but "70% of inmates incarcerated on small weed charges" seems way too high. Perhaps it depends on the definition of small weed charges. 
Quote:Do you have a source for that?

I don't know the number, but "70% of inmates incarcerated on small weed charges" seems way too high. Perhaps it depends on the definition of small weed charges. 
It could be off. Seems I read this awhile back. I'll see if I can find some factual #'s. I know it's high.
Quote:It could be off. Seems I read this awhile back. I'll see if I can find some factual #'s. I know it's high.

I'm sure it is, Panama Red.
Quote:It could be off. Seems I read this awhile back. I'll see if I can find some factual #'s. I know it's high.
I don't know about drug criminals but I do know 1% of the US adult male population is in prison, the highest rate of incarceration in the world by far. 
Quote:I'm sure it is, Panama Red.
Puff the Magic Dragon?
Quote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post...68cff5f78e

I'm not so sure that's a good idea.  Here's a couple of interesting quotes from the article posted where Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates contradicted herself.

Quote: 

“They simply do not provide the same level of correctional services, programs, and resources; they do not save substantially on costs
; and as noted in a recent report by the Department’s Office of Inspector General, they do not maintain the same level of safety and security,” Yates wrote.

Then later in the article.

Quote: 

Yates said it was “really hard to determine whether private prisons are less expensive”
and whether their closure would cause costs to go up, though she said officials did not anticipate having to hire additional Bureau of Prisons staff.

<p style="font-size:20px;font-family:Georgia;margin-left:auto;color:rgb(17,17,17);">“Bottom line, I’d also say, you get what you pay for,” Yates said.

So ending contracts with private prisons puts people out of work and it's really not known what the replacement cost is going to be.
Gary Johnson is a big fan of private prisons.
LOL... "what could possibly go wrong?"

Or is that, "What, me worry?"

Quote:LOL... "what could possibly go wrong?"

Or is that, "What, me worry?"

You know that privatized prisons are a relatively new trend.

Prisons have been run by the people (ie government administered) for the vast majority of history...

The stupidity of privatizing them is as bright as making ITT Tech or the university of Phoenix the model for public universities!
Except for the fact that the only thing the public sector can do better than the private sector is provide for our armed forces.

Other than the forces, the private sector is more effective and efficient than any government agency.

Quote:You know that privatized prisons are a relatively new trend.

Prisons have been run by the people (ie government administered) for the vast majority of history...

The stupidity of privatizing them is as bright as making ITT Tech or the university of Phoenix the model for public universities!

It's surely more wise than letting bureaucrats/lifetime politicians pass a Healthcare bill they knew nothing about (pass it to see what's in it) and have less than zero experience managing.

But you're down with that.  So, nice selective hypocrisy.
Quote:Except for the fact that the only thing the public sector can do better than the private sector is provide for our armed forces.

Other than the forces, the private sector is more effective and efficient than any government agency.

Oh yeah?  I'm not sure that's always true...  Look at ITT Tech, University of Phoenix, private prisons, etc...  Certain activities that are public works do not lend themselves very well to a profit motive...  It's just true...
Dream on, little dreamer.

Quote:It's surely more wise than letting bureaucrats/lifetime politicians pass a Healthcare bill they knew nothing about (pass it to see what's in it) and have less than zero experience managing.

But you're down with that.  So, nice selective hypocrisy.

Selective hipocrisy?  About what, exactly?  Obamacare is not socialized healthcare!!!  It provides subsidies for poor people to get healthcare through private insurers.  But the healthcare is still run by the private industry.  
Quote:Dream on, little dreamer.

That's not a dream, my friend.  It's kinda common knowledge.  
Quote:That's not a dream, my friend.  It's kinda common knowledge.  

You, my friend, live in fantasy land.  It's the only way the very foundation of your politics hold up.
Pages: 1 2