Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell on Sirius XM NFL Radio about rookies, defense, LT and others
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
here:  http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400...=hootsuite

Main points summarized (read the article for full comments)

-on Myles Jack: “He easily could’ve been our pick had he been fully healthy. As the draft went on, and you get into the second round, We said, let’s take a guy that we know a lot about who is excellent talent. We have to take some risk. We have to close that talent gap and we won’t do it by being very conservative. Let’s take a risk on a guy that we know is a great worker, very diligent and he’s going to take care of his body.

-on Jalen Ramsey: taking cornerback Jalen Ramsey at No. 5:

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">“I don’t think there was a lot of [debate], it was pretty unanimous. we wanted to come out with an impact defensive player in the top five. This was the year we wanted to start focusing on crafting this defense and building it from the ground up.”

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">So, why him:“He’s a rare athlete. You see him on the field being as big as he is, how he moves and how explosive he is. You don’t find guys like that that come along every year. Once every couple years, you get a player of that ability.”

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">-Yannick Ngakoue: He and Dante will split time at that Leo position. In nickel, they’ll both play the ends. Both are athletic enough with their versatility they can drop into coverage and take tight ends man to man. They offer our coaches a lot of flexibility with game-planning on where to bring pressure and where to drop into coverage. He was a really good scheme fit for us. He had 13 ½ sacks at Maryland so the production was there. He beat three of the top offensive tackles in the draft for sacks. Those tackles are very good players. He played at a high level of competition and was productive. You need more than one pass rusher. We don’t have a lot of experience here, but we feel like we have a pretty good skill set in those young guys.”

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">-LT Battle: “Luke’s probably had his best camp since we’ve been here. I think it’s maturity in his growth and physical maturity. He showed really good game this past weekend [Jets]. All through camp he’s been competing. Competition helps that too, bringing Kelvin in, although Luke is not the type of guy who needs external motivation. So, it’s going to be a good battle over these next couple of weeks to see where that ends up. Luke has done a really nice job at left guard for us in the time he’s been there in practice. He didn’t play there this [game] because we were short on numbers. I expect him to play some left guard in the preseason. When we get Kelvin back, he did individual today, we’ll slowly bring him along.”

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">-3rd receiver: “Our three spots are a little in flux, because there is no true three. If we go slot, we have Rashad Greene and Bryan Walters that are really good slot receivers. Marqise Lee can take the top off but he’s outside so then you bring one of the Allens inside. All from our three-to-five spots, I think those guys are going to play quite a bit. Rashad is a dynamic punt returner, so that will be his focus and Bryan Walters does a really nice job on special teams too.”

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">There are also bits about Jackson, Amukamara, Gipson, Fowler and Greg Olson.

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);"> 

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">By what he said it seems the top 5 receivers they'll surely keep on the roster will be Arob, Hurns, Lee, Greene and Walters.

Hmm I wonder if he has any intention of keeping 6 WR's? 

Washington played well in NY... 

Quote:Hmm I wonder if he has any intention of keeping 6 WR's? 

Indeed that sure did sound like a plug for Walters. I now find myself hoping they keep Benn as a 6th WR. Simply put, he's more talented than any other player who might be in consideration for that final roster spot. For instance, I'd keep Benn over Henne, Gray, Koyack, Bennett, Werner, Holmes, Armbrister, Gratz and Wolff.

Henne is more important to this team than Benn. As is Bennett.
Quote:Henne is more important to this team than Benn. As is Bennett.

Lol thats the funniest statement i have seen on the board..
Quote:Henne is more important to this team than Benn. As is Bennett.

Benn is a huge deep threat who we'll be glad we have if anything happens to ARob. Bennett would be a rarely seen 6th DT.

Quote:Benn is a huge deep threat who we'll be glad we have if anything happens to ARob. Bennett would be a rarely seen 6th DT.
Huge deep threat? Hahaha I needed a good laugh.
Quote:Benn is a huge deep threat who we'll be glad we have if anything happens to ARob. Bennett would be a rarely seen 6th DT.

Benn has to stay off IR before he's a threat to anything.

Henne provides a lot more value than an often injured bottom of the depth chart WR.

Bennett is a recent draft pick that has potential at a key position. I will also take that over Benn.
Quote:Lol thats the funniest statement i have seen on the board..

Just because you have some misguided view on what Chad Henne brings as a backup QB doesn't mean we should cut him.
Quote:Just because you have some misguided view on what Chad Henne brings as a backup QB doesn't mean we should cut him.
So we are supposed to cut our #2 QB just so we can keep a guy that is so far down the depth chart that he probably wouldn't even be one of the 46 active players on Sundays. Brilliant.

I hate to bust these guys bubbles, but if they got rid of Henne they won't be filling the roster spot with a 6th receiver or DT. They will be filling that roster spot with a qualified #2 QB.
Benn is a special teams player and that's it. He has worse hands than Ted Ginn.

Quote:Just because you have some misguided view on what Chad Henne brings as a backup QB doesn't mean we should cut him.

Whats misguided about a guy who sucks? Lol... Its too late to cut him... The question is what does he bring to the table, besides managing a lost?? He couldnt even lead a drive past mid field last week. I believe the rook did... Im done wasting my minutes discussion Henne.. He not worth it .