Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Overanalyzing the Soft Spot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
The two big completions to Quincy Enunya took advantage of that soft spot in the middle behind the LBs. 

We've seen teams attack this scheme there before, and we'll see it again. It's been blueprinted and several teams did the same thing to the 'hawks last year as it is a weakness of this style of defense. 

Determining who was responsible can get tricky at times since we don't always know where the "handoff" point exists from LB to safety in coverage.  Nonetheless - it appears Poz and Telvin each failed to drop back far enough in these back to back plays. Certainly an alert FS may have helped.  I'll let you guys haggle about it.

[Image: giphy.gif]

The only thing I can think is if we play the single high we want with Gip, Cyp should be in that spot
Quote:The only thing I can think is if we play the single high we want with Gip, Cyp should be in that spot

I look at it and think Telvin should be backpedaling and the FS should be coming toward the ball faster.  

When teams see the single high that deep, this "soft spot" is vulnerable. Especially when they see a LB lined up on a move TE.

It's one of the reasons the FS is such a big deal in this scheme.  He's got to be able to close that distance when someone gets behind the LBs in the middle. If the SS is truly playing the box, that's not his territory. 

I really don't know who should  have dropped - but seeing Poz, Smith and Cyp all key on the RB short over the middle while Enunya runs free certainly seems wrong. 

FS too deep?  Would Gipson have been up on it?

I gotta pin both those on Telvin at first glance. Out of position on the first one, and just got beat on a good move on the next one. Gipson is going to be an important safety net for our LBs. Telvin and Poz both seem to get caught peaking in the backfield every so often, hell I think every LB does it occasionally. Good learning experience. The offense is gonna make plays every now and again.
Quote:FS too deep?  Would Gipson have been up on it?

Yeah...I have to think with Gipson in there, the soft spot wouldn't exist.

That said, I'm reminded of the Jaguars '99 defense. As you may recall, that was a top notch defense that may have even set a record or two, but it had a soft spot much like this. The Jaguars would shut down offenses in large part, but it was those TEs and receiving RBs that found big plays, and was partly why the Titans had our number. It was this same soft spot that had me not so upset about not making the SB because I just knew that Marshall Faulk from the Greatest Show On Turf would have exploited the spot big time.

I'm just glad the Titans fell one yard short so the Jaguars still have a shot at beating them to a trophy. In fact, that very play I consider to this day to be the greatest single play in league history for this very reason.

Probably won't be our last blown coverage of the season....

NBD
Quote:The two big completions to Quincy Enunya took advantage of that soft spot in the middle behind the LBs.

We've seen teams attack this scheme there before, and we'll see it again. It's been blueprinted and several teams did the same thing to the 'hawks last year as it is a weakness of this style of defense.

Determining who was responsible can get tricky at times since we don't always know where the "handoff" point exists from LB to safety in coverage. Nonetheless - it appears Poz and Telvin each failed to drop back far enough in these back to back plays. Certainly an alert FS may have helped. I'll let you guys haggle about it.

I pointed out last year that Telvin is aweful in zone coverage.

On Madden...his zone coverage would be like a 56.

He is better in Man to man coverage.

Thank you thank you thank you for making this thread. I missed the game last night and I saw this being discussed in other threads.

Quote:The only thing I can think is if we play the single high we want with Gip, Cyp should be in that spot

I totally agree! It's the LB's job to sit on the underneath routes. Can't tell who was playing strong safety but in both frames they bit (or guessed) instead of continuing their progression into the intermediate part of the field. If Gibson tries to make up for this, we are going to have problems. That would effectively take him out of his assigned area.

Any chance you can dig up gifs of the same thing happening to the Seahawks?
Quote:I pointed out last year that Telvin is aweful in zone coverage.

On Madden...his zone coverage would be like a 56.

He is better in Man to man coverage.

I agree he's better in man to man, but I strongly disagree about him sucking at zone coverage. He jumped quite a few balls last year playing zone. He dropped 2 pick 6s last year covering the flat zone. He's good at using his speed to bait the QB into thinking a guy is open, but he tends to get caught on play fakes fairly often still because he's a young guy. He gets beat up the seam every so often, but Gipson was brought in to take that play away from the offense.

Don't forget Telvin is a 3rd year, former 5th round pick. He's got a lot of learning to do still. If he stays healthy he's going to be pretty darn close to an elite coverage LB I think.
Quote:Any chance you can dig up gifs of the same thing happening to the Seahawks?
No, but I clearly remember the Pats running routes to the same soft spot with a TE and running Edelman or Vereen underneath simultaneously giving Brady two targets over the middle to choose from. One shallow, one intermediate. 

The way the CBs play outside technique between the hash and sideline, the middle can be vulnerable. Of course it's less vulnerable when you have Bobby Wagner and Earl Thomas out there. 
That's on the LBs. Safeties were playing cover 2 and the FS was way on the other hash with two receivers in front of him.
Thanks man, the 2nd one was CYps fault. Telvin had the under, if Ramsey was in there that would of never happened

Quote:That's on the LBs. Safeties were playing cover 2 and the FS was way on the other hash with two receivers in front of him.

Definitely wasn't cover 2 in either frame and any defensive coach calling cover 2 zone on 5 wide should be fired.
It was Telvin. He bit at the short receiver instead of staying back. As fast as Telvin is he needs to be concerned about what's behind him not what's in front.
Quote:Definitely wasn't cover 2 in either frame and any defensive coach calling cover 2 zone on 5 wide should be fired.

Looks like two high safeties with the lbers playing zone underneath. The point that is the free safety was playing the left side of the field, unless he was supposed to be manned-up with that receiver (which he wasn't) then there is no reason that he should be playing anywhere near the to where the receiver caught the ball. The lbers completely vacated that area of the field, let him fall in behind them.
Quote:Thanks man, the 2nd one was CYps fault. Telvin had the under, if Ramsey was in there that would of never happened

Cyprien was lined up directly over the receiver who stopped short. Hard to imagine that wasn't his assignment.  I'm more inclined think Telvin bit when he should have dropped.   Hell, I don't know :teehee:

[Image: 9arg40.jpg]

Quote:Definitely wasn't cover 2 in either frame and any defensive coach calling cover 2 zone on 5 wide should be fired.

Quote:Looks like two high safeties with the lbers playing zone underneath. The point that is the free safety was playing the left side of the field, unless he was supposed to be manned-up with that receiver (which he wasn't) then there is no reason that he should be playing anywhere near the to where the receiver caught the ball. The lbers completely vacated that area of the field, let him fall in behind them.

N/m I see Cyp manned up. Not sure what I was thinking. The gifs wouldn't load on my phone, I was going off memory.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6