Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Grade time clock management in 4th qtr.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do you grade the clock management?

I give it an A.

And Its the first time for Gus.
This is the first time Gus has really looked in charge in the 4th quarter. Maybe he just needed to take a few lumps before he learned. I'm good with that.
It was text book.

Maybe Gus can coach..
We had what, 3 opportunities with the ball inside of 4 minutes? I'd say he did his job. Give him an A.
I turned it off, what did he do?
What was the deal with him accepting the penalty on 3rd down? They stopped them again on 3rd and 12 anyways. Why not force a 4th and 2? Fortunate the jets missed the fg too.
Quote:What was the deal with him accepting the penalty on 3rd down? They stopped them again on 3rd and 12 anyways. Why not force a 4th and 2? Fortunate the jets missed the fg too.
Huh? You mean he should have given them the chip shot field goal instead of pushing them back which made the field goal more difficult?

I don't understand your logic.

Quote:Huh? You mean he should have given them the chip shot field goal instead of pushing them back which made the field goal more difficult?

I don't understand your logic.

Force them to kick a field goal, instead of giving them another chance to convert on third down. What is so hard to understand about that?
Because the odds of making a chip shot field goal are greater than converting a 3rd and 12.

It was a good call and the missed field goal proved it.

On top of that you give the opportunity to go for a 4th and 2.

The best odds would be to give them a 3rd and 12.

Quote:On top of that you give the opportunity to go for a 4th and 2.

The best odds would be to give them a 3rd and 12.

Yeah..... going for it on 4th and 2 there would make a lot of sense.

You take a 3rd and 12 over 4th and 2 in that situation pretty much every time.
I don't really remember the 4th quarter so I'm thinking Gus' clock management was a lot better than my alcohol management.

FYI --- anyone wanting to know the difference between good tequila and cheap tequila --- it's all about the next morning.  Silver Patron = NO Hangover

Quote:Because the odds of making a chip shot field goal are greater than converting a 3rd and 12.

It was a good call and the missed field goal proved it.

A starting kicker is going to make that kick anyways. Why would you give them two downs to get a first down, or worse, a touch down? 
Quote:A starting kicker is going to make that kick anyways. Why would you give them two downs to get a first down, or worse, a touch down? 
Aside from the points already made defending the penalty acceptance, you also have to consider that taking a 3rd and 12 gives the team a chance to get video to evaluate on their bubble pass rushers/ d-linemen. 

There are likely to be two D-Linemen cut from this squad that are tough cuts to make. Preseason game tape is the best eval tool they can get right now. 
Quote:Aside from the points already made defending the penalty acceptance, you also have to consider that taking a 3rd and 12 gives the team a chance to get video to evaluate on their bubble pass rushers/ d-linemen. 

There are likely to be two D-Linemen cut from this squad that are tough cuts to make. Preseason game tape is the best eval tool they can get right now. 

Not to mention a 4th and 2 is a very good situation to try and get that first down to lead to a touchdown, whereas they are much less likely to convert a 3rd and 12 and have to settle for 3 points.

It makes sense to take the 3rd and 12 there. Now if they were on their 20 yard line, you give them the 4th and 2, because they won't risk converting there.

I DISAGREE WITH MOVING THE BALL BACK TO 3RD DOWN INSTEAD OF FORCING A FG ON 4TH AND 2 TO GIVE THEM ANOTHER SHOT AT THROWING IT IN THE ENDZONE. MORE PROOF GUS HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE'S DOING...

Quote:I DISAGREE WITH MOVING THE BALL BACK TO 3RD DOWN INSTEAD OF FORCING A FG ON 4TH AND 2 TO GIVE THEM ANOTHER SHOT AT THROWING IT IN THE ENDZONE. MORE PROOF GUS HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE'S DOING...

Or...more proof you have no idea what you are talking about...