Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cosell on Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good article, thanks Senor
Cosell has far more credibility than that couch potato Barnwell.
Definitely a good read. The saints example really shows our 3rd down pass protection from the backs left a lot to be desired. U would have to think they would expect a fake blitz up the middle. Denard...smh. Hopefully Ivory can help in that area and TJ gets better.
Quote:Definitely a good read. The saints example really shows our 3rd down pass protection from the backs left a lot to be desired. U would have to think they would expect a fake blitz up the middle. Denard...smh. Hopefully Ivory can help in that area and TJ gets better.

To me it seemed like Denard did as he was coached/instructed.
The juxtaposition between this article and the Barnwell article is certainly interesting.
I remember Cosell on the local radio talking about Gabbert after we selected him. He said his evaluation of him was that he felt phantom pressure. I remember thinking oh no, hope this guys wrong. We all know how that went. I trust his evals
Quote:The juxtaposition between this article and the Barnwell article is certainly interesting.

It's the difference between someone looking at gameplay and making some observations and someone having a conclusion they want to reach and searching out stats that allow them to reach it.

I know some website analyst somewhere may say that another team had a worse offensive line than the Jaguars, but I don't believe it to be the case. The Jaguars team performance was mediocre to terrible except for Bortles, ARob, Hurns, and Telvin, and it's telling that the Job Bortles did directly helped two of those four guys look really good.
I think a lot of people get lost in statistics.   Statistics are a great tool, but so is the eyeball test, where you can see the situation, down and distance, score in the game, what all 11 guys do on defense, what all 11 guys do on offense, etc etc etc.   There's just no way you can fit the totality of the situation into a statistical model, because every situation/play is individual. 

Statistics don't give you the answer, they give you clues, that lead you in a certain direction, or cause you to question your assumptions.  The ultimate answer lies in watching the actual plays and situations. 

I don't need a statistical analysis to tell me that we had pass protection issues last year. 

Quote: 

I don't need a statistical analysis to tell me that we had pass protection issues last year. 

The clumps of turf stuck in the QB's helmet are usually a good clue.