Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cyprien's role
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but was Cyprien's role in this defense not always as the box safety? I know he may have taken a couple single high snaps or something but guys are writing like Cyprien wasn't always in the box the majority of the time.

Quote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but was Cyprien's role in this defense not always as the box safety? I know he may have taken a couple single high snaps or something but guys are writing like Cyprien wasn't always in the box the majority of the time.
From my knowledge, we have never had a FS good enough to allow Cyprien to play primarily box safety. Now that we have Gipson Cyprien will play box safety most of the time now
Quote:From my knowledge, we have never had a FS good enough to allow Cyprien to play primarily box safety. Now that we have Gipson Cyprien will play box safety most of the time now
This.

They shaded him further from the line of scrimmage at times, but with the improved secondary (primarily Gipson) they'll be able to keep him closer where he's (hopefully) better. 

Jabrill Peppers

It will be interesting to see him play the role they envisioned for him. Hopefully it pans out.
He's always been primarily a box safety. The implication that his role will change significantly because he's playing with Gipson now is nonsense
Quote:From my knowledge, we have never had a FS good enough to allow Cyprien to play primarily box safety. Now that we have Gipson Cyprien will play box safety most of the time now

This
Cyprien has performed admirably in his role as assistant to the ice cream scooper.

He is terrible at safety though.
Quote:He's always been primarily a box safety. The implication that his role will change significantly because he's playing with Gipson now is nonsense

I wouldn't go as far as "nonsense," but you're right that he wasn't playing some extraordinary number of snaps as something other than the box safety. 

His role is being "tweaked,' not changed significantly. 
Has anyone posted this?

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/199656/johnathan-cyprien-benefits-most-from-tashaun-gipson-signing-with-jaguars

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);">Here's a clip

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);">"JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The biggest beneficiary of the Jacksonville Jaguars’ addition of free safety Tashaun Gipson is strong safety Johnathan Cyprien.  One of the Jaguars’ biggest needs was free safety, and Gipson gives them a player they trust to play single-high coverage, which is something Sergio Brownand Josh Evans have struggled to do the past three seasons. That will allow the Jaguars to use Cyprien as strictly a box safety, which is what the Jaguars drafted him to be."

Quote:He's always been primarily a box safety. The implication that his role will change significantly because he's playing with Gipson now is nonsense

Stop it. Not a drastic change in role but 'expectedly' more success in it due to better help behind him. Inferring, he'll compensate less over time with more comfort in the level of play behind him. Even painfully handsome great bodied guys like Brit get it. Stop hating and hope the man gets better Wink
C7p$qU8d
He's looked his best when able to play in the box close to the Line of Scrimmage. the lack of range at FS forced us to call more Cover-2 looks with him having more responsibilities on the back end rather than covering the flats and short middle of the field where he excels. 

regardless of where you put him, his issue is the angles he takes chasing down plays. That's a coachable issue but it remains to be seen if he can get it shored up; worst case scenario he's quality depth and Sample will start (and if Sample isn't the answer we can draft a replacement)
Quote:Stop it. Not a drastic change in role but 'expectedly' more success in it due to better help behind him. Inferring, he'll compensate less over time with more comfort in the level of play behind him. Even painfully handsome great bodied guys like Brit get it. Stop hating and hope the man gets better Wink

i hope he gets better - i've been hoping since his rookie year that he will get better.

but this claim that having gipson back there will just automatically make his deficiencies erased is not true.  overall, a better defense is able to "hide" a weak player more easily, which is exactly what the coaching staff is hoping for.  They will still need to upgrade the position regardless.
Quote:i hope he gets better - i've been hoping since his rookie year that he will get better.

but this claim that having gipson back there will just automatically make his deficiencies erased is not true. overall, a better defense is able to "hide" a weak player more easily, which is exactly what the coaching staff is hoping for. They will still need to upgrade the position regardless.

No one is saying all his deficiencies will be gone. But he will be allowed to play more in his intended role. He was never meant to drop into cover 2 and cover like that.

It's similar to a DE being asked to drop back and cover like an OLB. Sure, some can, but a lot are completely mis-cast in that role. Like Clowney.

Cyp should always be in the box, close to the LOS. That plays to his strengths and away from his weaknesses. To say the addition of Gipson helping Cyp out immensely isn't true is just wrong, bc it will. And the coaches and reporters have all said that he's been much better with Gipson back there.
Quote:No one is saying all his deficiencies will be gone. But he will be allowed to play more in his intended role. He was never meant to drop into cover 2 and cover like that.

It's similar to a DE being asked to drop back and cover like an OLB. Sure, some can, but a lot are completely mis-cast in that role. Like Clowney.

Cyp should always be in the box, close to the LOS. That plays to his strengths and away from his weaknesses. To say the addition of Gipson helping Cyp out immensely isn't true is just wrong, bc it will. And the coaches and reporters have all said that he's been much better with Gipson back there.
And as I said, he's been in the box mostly anyway.

Some of you are acting as if he was put on an island like revis.

Even if you try to keep him in the box, he will now and then have to cover a RB or TE or even a WR. He needs to start making plays, even in coverage, if he wants to stay here long term.

Yes, when you really dumb his position down, he's less likely to be a total mess-up.

But I would love to see a breakdown of how often he was actually in cover 2 and how often he was asked to cover down the field compared to how often he will do it now.

I don't think it will be a significant change, but I am allowed to be wrong.