Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Last Chance U
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is anyone else with Netflix watching this? From IMBD:

"Last Chance U" follows a group of young men training to become the future stars of the NFL. Based at East Mississippi Community College (EMCC), "Last Chance U" takes us on a journey to understand the real men of the gridiron at one of the most successful, but least known athletic programs. Each player has incredible talent and drive to be the best, but each face their own unique struggles both on and off the field. As their season takes an unexpected turn, the methods of this unconventional team are deeply called into question. With much to lose, they are constantly reminded of the stakes.

It's a very interesting look at players, some of whom were in big universities playing football, who got into trouble and were kicked out of their schools for various reasons, or recruited out of high school and are at this school as literally their last chance to make it (back) to division 1 schools and go on to the NFL. 

You hear of guys who are so talented growing up that they believe their talent will get them to the NFL and the rules don't apply to them. It's one thing to hear about it and quite another to actually see the lack of discipline these guys have in every aspect of their lives which ironically lands them in the place that will give them one last chance. It's both fascinating and infuriating to watch the players, coaches, teachers and the guidance counselor all interact. You want to be angry with how these guys treat people who are trying to help them with little to no respect and they put as little effort as they have to into almost everything they do. It's hard to be angry though when you think about the backgrounds some of them come from (one player's parents died in a murder/suicide when he was just 5 years old).

It's six episodes, I am going on number four and it's a little difficult to not want to binge watch.

My respect for Ms. Wagner rose with each episode and my respect for coach Stephens fell with each episode.
Quote:My respect for Ms. Wagner rose with each episode and my respect for coach Stephens fell with each episode.

That is how I feel at this point and I have 3 episodes left to watch.
Yeah, the academic advisor is a freaking saint.  She tries so hard with guys that just don't care.  She develops a mother like relationship with many of them and I think it works to a point.  Some of those guys just aren't motivated to go to school.

I wouldn't really judge the coach too much.  Imo, he's giving many of these kids a chance to excel at football while giving them a shot to get their academics in order.  I will say though, he does not stress academics at all.  During every practice when he talks to the team I never heard him once talk about going to class, hw, study, etc.  If he put any sort of punishments in place for missing class it would help a bit.  I think the problem is that if he puts missing games as a punishment, he may be missing half his team.  When he put his hands on that one lineman during the game, I was hoping the kid would knock him out.

With that said, he has 9 former players currently in the NFL.  The guys that want to work and make it can do it.

It really is a train wreck.  I was out of town this weekend so I have a couple more to go.  I couldn't wait to get back.
Yeah, the apathy the players have towards anything other than football is maddening to me. And even with football they don't even put in 100% effort. That's probably why Coach is so wound up all the time. I watched the homecoming game episode tonight and wanted to punch DJ Law in the mouth. I was as frustrated as Ms. Wagner by his behavior.

And you're right about how they don't punish the guys for missing class or assignments. Coach admitted it's a problem every single coach faces. There is no accountability for these guys and people wonder why they end up broke and broken when they actually do make it to the NFL then get into trouble and are finally held accountable.
In the middle of the first episode. That Britney Wagner is like a weird parody of Tammy from Friday Night Lights.
I finished it last week. As an FSU fan, I'm glad John Franklin left. He comes across as an entitled brat.

Quote:In the middle of the first episode. That Britney Wagner is like a weird parody of Tammy from Friday Night Lights.

Dude, I was thinking the whole time- "Tammy Taylor".
Quote:I finished it last week. As an FSU fan, I'm glad John Franklin left. He comes across as an entitled brat.

SPOILER............

All of them do if you ask me. The one who aggravated me the most was Ryan. He refused a free college education and a chance to still (possibly) play football because it was not a division one college who wanted him. All because he played back up to some guy who is now in the NFL and was QB 1 ahead of Mr. FSU for most of the season and he would probably be a back up again. Dude, you're an idiot!

I am glad DJ Law took responsibility for the fracas at the last game. Had he not slapped the guy who late hit him then all of that would not have happened. Possibly. There was still another half to play so it might have happened anyway.

All in all I liked it more than I thought I would but it also frustrated the daylights out of me.
Quote:Dude, I was thinking the whole time- "Tammy Taylor".

She looks the spit of her too. Very strange!
Quote:All of them do if you ask me. The one who aggravated me the most was Ryan. He refused a free college education and a chance to still (possibly) play football because it was not a division one college who wanted him. All because he played back up to some guy who is now in the NFL and was QB 1 ahead of Mr. FSU for most of the season and he would probably be a back up again. Dude, you're an idiot!

I am glad DJ Law took responsibility for the fracas at the last game. Had he not slapped the guy who late hit him then all of that would not have happened. Possibly. There was still another half to play so it might have happened anyway.

All in all I liked it more than I thought I would but it also frustrated the daylights out of me.

Feel free to add spoiler alert at any time....
Quote:Feel free to add spoiler alert at any time....

Sorry about that. On my Kindle it doesn't even give me the option to blank it out with the spoiler tag thing and I just didn't think about it. Not many people commented so I didn't think too many people other than those who had already watched it were paying attention.

Evidently the past 24 hours I have either misunderstood things people have said or committed spoiler alert crimes. Maybe I need to just chill.
I just got done watching this.  Very good.

My opinion is that students should not be forced to learn other academics if they do not choose to do so.  Football should be a study like anything else.  If you want to go to school to study just football, you should be allowed to do that.  I don't understand the NCAA system of making them learn something they don't want to in some cases, and then in many cases it's all a shell game anyway.  Athletes have tutors do their work for them, they are given answers to tests, and stuff like that.  Whats the point?  Just let students study what they want, in this case its football.

Here goes badger talking about things he knows nothing about again.  Do tutors sometimes cross the line for football players? Sure...but MANY football players go to school, do their own work, and make the grades.  Scholarships were create to give athletes a chance at school while at the same time making the school money to pay for that education.  Obviously times have changed and some schools make a lot of money, but many are operating at a deficit.  The percentage of college players that are able to go to the NFL is miniscule.  Good for schools for giving these guys another chance other than football.

If what you said was true, the guys at this junior college wouldn't be having the academic issues that they were having, don't you think?  There were F's being laid out all over the place.  You have a very simplistic view of this.

Quote:I just got done watching this.  Very good.

My opinion is that students should not be forced to learn other academics if they do not choose to do so.  Football should be a study like anything else.  If you want to go to school to study just football, you should be allowed to do that.  I don't understand the NCAA system of making them learn something they don't want to in some cases, and then in many cases it's all a shell game anyway.  Athletes have tutors do their work for them, they are given answers to tests, and stuff like that.  Whats the point?  Just let students study what they want, in this case its football.
That's the almost most ridiculous thing I've read today. If they don't want to learn academics then they don't need to be there. The discipline of academics is one of the things that helps a person succeed in life. You have to be somewhere on time, you have to study to learn, learn to pass, you're responsible for getting these things done. That discipline flows over into football. Be to practice on time, learn the drills, the plays, the routes, etc., then make it all come together on game day

None of these kids had any discipline- even on the field, and that fault lies with the parents and all the people who influenced them up to that point. Getting by on talent alone is what most football players (who really have the talent) are fed. They're told their special because of it. They don't have to work for it because it's a natural ability. That's crap. Natural ability only gets you so far in life, you have to work for everything. You don't work for it you don't deserve it. Period. There is the rare football player, or any athlete for that matter, who has both the natural ability and the self discipline to be not just good, but great. And just because you make it to the NFL doesn't mean you have that discipline. There were players on the Arizona Cardinals, seen in Amazon's All or Nothing, that didn't want to put in the effort. We have/had guys with the Jaguars with the same mentality. They may want to play football but many just want the paycheck. Several of the guys on Last Chance U even said that. If that's what they want then they need to do what it takes to make it happen. They need to work for it and earn it which means they have to go to school and pass their classes. 
If you don't want there to be academics involved in COLLEGE athletics, then start a minor league system.  It won't happen because the NFL has a free one working right now.

Very good series. You can tell the coach is very passionate but I felt he crossed the line when he called his players redneck thugs after the fight. Give credit to the coach though for looking at the tape afterwards and apologizing for his outburst. The team stood up for each other when it was obvious the other team was cheap shotting them and trying to get a reaction out of them. I kind of wish they would've held their composure a bit more but I get that you can only hold back for so long. The refs did nothing at all to try and protect the players from the cheap shots.

I'm glad Ronald Ollie pulled it together at the end. I hope DJ Law gets it together so he can go to UAB. I googled him and he still hasn't made it to UAB yet but they are holding out for him. Supposedly he only has a class or two left to finish. Law looks to have legit talent.

All in all I'm looking forward to the next season.