Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Lawn Service Recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looking for lawn service recommendations in Jacksonville.

The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Thanks!
Are you wanting info on fertilizing or maintenance?
Maintenance. Sorry, guess I should have been more clear.
It all depends on your lawn. The size has a decent amount to do with it but more so how much of a pain in the butt it'll be to mow, trim, edge and blow. Meaning, if you've got a crap load of trees and flower beds and a fence that slow the crew down it'll cost more. Also, hedges and weeding/spraying beds will add to you're monthly charge as well, if you choose to add that on. Some people think that they get away cheaper asking the lawn guy to trim their hedges or palms once in a blue moon. The worse they are the longer it takes to trim and adds an annoying amount of cleanup. So if you don't plan on trimming them yourself, you may want to add it on monthly depending on the type of hedges. It'll over time cost more but really wouldn't add that much monthly unless you've got huge beds overly flooded with hedges and wrapped all around the house. In the area I worked in, most lawn contracts started out around 100 a month as a base price. Goes up from there depending on the lawn and whatever else you tack on, like hedges. If your lawn sucks and doesn't grow much you can possibly get away with service every other week. Be weary of the cheap companies that advertise their ungodly low rates. More often than not, you'll be in the market again after they go out of business or realize they dread your lawn because it takes 35 minutes to mow and they aren't making enough. Don't get me wrong, sometimes the low prices are warranted. Say the in and out in 12 minutes. Some think those companies "rush". They aren't rushing. In fact the dude in the mower is more often than not holding back because clients don't like seeing the mower going at its capable speeds. I can go on and on. If you've got specific questions that would aid you in choosing a company feel free to PM me. Every one and their brother owns a lawn business in Florida. most stick to a very small radius and are mowing 60-100 a week and won't venture too far. So, recommending a certain company may not work when asking a MB.
I have a good friend in Jacksonville who had a service, but he scaled back his customer base when he got a full time job. I know he does quality work, would be glad to ask him if he has an opening for another customer if you like.

Maybe you can provide the zip code in your area. Or you can PM it.
On a side note, my friend has a great story about doing a landscaping job for Fred Taylor.

I used to do my own lawn for several years, but after having to spend over an hour just mowing, another 1/2 hour minimum getting the weed eater to start and run and yet another 1/2 hour messing with the edger to get it going, I finally gave up and hired a guy.  What used to take me 3+ hours to accomplish takes him about 30 minutes.  That includes mowing the back and front yards, weed eating, edging and blowing the clippings off.  A bonus for me is he lives just a couple of blocks away in my sub-division.

It might cost me a little more in the long run, but the way that I look at it is I don't have to go and sweat my behind off in the heat fighting the equipment.

My advice is to look for someone that already does the service in your neighborhood.  I can ask the guy that does my yard if he's up for another customer.  PM me your general location and I'll find out if he goes that far for work.

^ that's probably your best bet StroudCrowd. Talk to the guys already in the neighborhood. You can ask for a discount "since they'll already be there" but more than likely it'll be what it'll be. Due to the vast amount of competition the prices have gotten about as low as they can possibly go. Still, some companies are trying to hold on to the higher prices but most have came down to about the same prices no matter who you get a quote from. also talk to your neighbors who have said companies, they'll let you know what kind of work they do, how reliable and dependable they are and whether they're a pain to talk to or get a hold of. Added plus you can also see what they charge him. If your price is substantially higher your lawn is more difficult or he doesn't want the added work. You'll know the answer to that one.

If you've got a dog...please be kind and pick it's [BLEEP] up. Smile. No one likes running over dog poop and then "accidentally" driving across the driveway and adding a few extra skid marks. Not to mention it'll stink up their trailer.
Or if not residing in your neighborhood, see if any lawn service companies already have customers in your neighborhood. When I quit doing my own lawn, I went with the people that were doing four houses right around me, including my next door neighbor. Since then, a couple of other neighbors joined and it became cheaper yet.
Google gives you best of lists if ya ask for it too.
Since lawn care isn't like finding a good reputable A/C, plumbing or roofing company and I know the "green" industry like the back of my hand, I'm going to add a few tidbits from the lawn company side.  Some fertilizer companies are inept and will blame anything on you or us. I once was asked by a client to mow at a height of 4 inches. Weird, that's what I was mowing his lawn at. Apparently the height is why his lawn was dying. Couldn't have been that fungus that was left untreated. 

On average it takes about 20 minutes to mow a lawn. Most seasoned and experienced companies with good help and equipment will be on a 2-3 lawn per hour average over the coarse of a day. So, when you come out and talk with your super cool lawn dude for 10 minutes you just cost him about 30 bucks and he will be later picking his daughter up from daycare. We like you, we want a good rapport and will take the time to talk, but, don't stop us weekly to chat.

If your dog likes tennis balls, buy more. They blend in super well with the lawn after that flouresant look fades and if your lucky your guy has a mulch kit installed so it doesn't fly through you pool enclosure.

Dog poo, if it's bad enough, you'll get charged for a cleaning fee.

Do offer water, we most likely will decline but that simple gesture goes a long way. Makes those sweating their butt off in July and August really want to go the extra mile for you and do the little things your not being charged for.

Don't treat them like peasants. There's a good chance they make more than you, unless your in the rich category. 75 a week at a min of 100/ mo. You do the math.

Wow, there is so much. I'll stop here. For now

You've gotta look for indicators. Prime example. Broken and screwed up blinds in your window, broken screen on patio, and grass 10" tall. Get out of that job. They ain't paying. HOA gave them a letter and they're trying to milk it a month before you catch on.

Quote:I used to do my own lawn for several years, but after having to spend over an hour just mowing, another 1/2 hour minimum getting the weed eater to start and run and yet another 1/2 hour messing with the edger to get it going, I finally gave up and hired a guy.  What used to take me 3+ hours to accomplish takes him about 30 minutes.  That includes mowing the back and front yards, weed eating, edging and blowing the clippings off.  A bonus for me is he lives just a couple of blocks away in my sub-division.

It might cost me a little more in the long run, but the way that I look at it is I don't have to go and sweat my behind off in the heat fighting the equipment.

My advice is to look for someone that already does the service in your neighborhood.  I can ask the guy that does my yard if he's up for another customer.  PM me your general location and I'll find out if he goes that far for work.

^^ this ^^

Catch your neighbor's guy and cut a cash deal.  Negotiate.  They won't mind making extra cash if they're already there.
I am in 32225 zip code. There are a probably 10 companies in here who have great looking yards and not so great looking yards. I was curious if anyone was going to recommend any of the guys I have seen around here. Was looking more for validation I guess.

I was happy with my yard guy for 5 years but had to finally fire him this weekend. He stopped coming weekly and to me that is not acceptable in the growing months. I was paying $140 a month which comes to $35 a cut if coming every week. I had a good relationship with him and usually paid at the beginning of the month. The past year, he started slipping. I made it clear to him at least 10 times that I wasn't paying $70 per cut for him to come twice a month. His response basically every time was that his 2 cuts a month were better than other peoples "mow and blows" because of all the other things he did. I told him the other things he supposedly does don't mean a thing If my yard looks like a jungle for a week.

Over the years, he turned into a terrible business man and he just didn't get it. I dont like firing people and even told him if he continues to take advantage of my good nature, it was going to happen.

I also got the feeling that he felt like I was getting a deal. I don't k ow what the going rate was and he is the one who quoted me, so I didn't see that as my problem.

Thanks for the advice everybody!
Quote:I am in 32225 zip code. There are a probably 10 companies in here who have great looking yards and not so great looking yards. I was curious if anyone was going to recommend any of the guys I have seen around here. Was looking more for validation I guess.

I was happy with my yard guy for 5 years but had to finally fire him this weekend. He stopped coming weekly and to me that is not acceptable in the growing months. I was paying $140 a month which comes to $35 a cut if coming every week. I had a good relationship with him and usually paid at the beginning of the month. The past year, he started slipping. I made it clear to him at least 10 times that I wasn't paying $70 per cut for him to come twice a month. His response basically every time was that his 2 cuts a month were better than other peoples "mow and blows" because of all the other things he did. I told him the other things he supposedly does don't mean a thing If my yard looks like a jungle for a week.

Over the years, he turned into a terrible business man and he just didn't get it. I dont like firing people and even told him if he continues to take advantage of my good nature, it was going to happen.

I also got the feeling that he felt like I was getting a deal. I don't k ow what the going rate was and he is the one who quoted me, so I didn't see that as my problem.

Thanks for the advice everybody!
You've made the right decision. Sounds like you've given him ample opportunity to get it right. To make matters worse, you were essentially paying 42.00 per visit. If it was year round of course. Based off of 40 mowings at 35 over a year it turns out to be 115 we charged. So I assume you had a full package with hedges and weeds or your lawn is pretty big.

We didn't work in that zip code, that's a ways away from were we worked. So I doubt I'd know of any of those guys. I'd ask neighbors. If you don't do that, you can always call a few up and ask if they can do it for just a month at first. Be honest with them. If they can handle the extra work they'll do it most likely. I won't lie. There have been times I've turned down 1 time mowings or short term ones because we were at the brink of what we could do. Sucks to turn down business, but it sucks more being in a position you can't live up to your side of the bargain.

I will say I've heard many stories about "the previous guy" never have I heard of them charging that price and then on their own switch to bi weekly. Especially with that poor excuse. I will also say when I hear horror stories there is a decent amount of clients I find out why the other guy stopped showing up. Meaning the client didn't pay, was hard to work for etc.

Edit: I'm not suggesting it is your fault.
Get a lawn service who has a side business working with the city.

About 5 years ago I had a crew who also had side contracts to work with the city in Arygle and Oakleaf. They were the really good and consistent. Like someone said, providing or offering them water, snacks will make them go the extra mile and even take your yard waste with them. 

Once I got my own riding lawn mower, I ended my contract with them, and the same with Bug Out and haven't looked back. 

Quote:Get a lawn service who has a side business working with the city.

About 5 years ago I had a crew who also had side contracts to work with the city in Arygle and Oakleaf. They were the really good and consistent. Like someone said, providing or offering them water, snacks will make them go the extra mile and even take your yard waste with them. 

Once I got my own riding lawn mower, I ended my contract with them, and the same with Bug Out and haven't looked back. 
I have always done my own lawn work. I simply enjoy it. But what I tried to do on my own was fertilize, and keep the bugs under control myself. Did bugout just take care of bugs for you, or did they do fertilizing as well?

I had Orkin for the first time starting about 6 years ago. A year and a half ago we stopped using them. I am regretting it now. It's so much easier, imo, to allow people who know the fertilizing and bug game in our area. Lot less headache, and I think in the long run saves a lot of money. I am getting ready to hire a new fertilizing/bug company. Not sure who yet.
Quote:I have always done my own lawn work. I simply enjoy it. But what I tried to do on my own was fertilize, and keep the bugs under control myself. Did bugout just take care of bugs for you, or did they do fertilizing as well?

I had Orkin for the first time starting about 6 years ago. A year and a half ago we stopped using them. I am regretting it now. It's so much easier, imo, to allow people who know the fertilizing and bug game in our area. Lot less headache, and I think in the long run saves a lot of money. I am getting ready to hire a new fertilizing/bug company. Not sure who yet.

I have been through 6 or 7 in the past 10 years. Currently with Peninsular but haven't been happy with them as of late. Heard very good things about Safari so I am leaning towards them.
Quote:I have always done my own lawn work. I simply enjoy it. But what I tried to do on my own was fertilize, and keep the bugs under control myself. Did bugout just take care of bugs for you, or did they do fertilizing as well?

Same here, I try not to let the hedges and mulch around the palms get out of control. I only spend about 1 hour picking the weeds/trimming the most.

Bug Out did my fertilization and bugs. I had a few chinch bugs eat a good sq foot of my lawn. I called them to see if they can treat the spot asap. They told me don't worry, don't do anything we will come out in a few days. They came and sprayed their treatment by this point the spot had grown a few inches, not that much but I was concerned the entire spot wasn't treated.

Long story short the spot spread to a few sq feet and I ended up raking out the infected areas and resodding.

Between that and them not using common sense when it came to fertilizing my lawn during the summer on days where it didn't rain and constantly running the risk of buring my grass, I gave up with them.

At least I'm able to control when I cut, and spray my yard. I know when to fertilize when there is a high chance for rain.
Pages: 1 2