Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: LG Luke Joeckel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
He looks so much more comfortable and better there.

As a LG, he's a very athletic and tall guard that can get to the second level, move guys in the run game, handle interior pass rushers, and has the positional flexibility to be a serviceable/average LT in a pinch. He offers a lot of upside there. At LT, he's just an average player that can get mentally abused.

eh, not sure what everyone else is seeing yet.

he'll be gone next year.

Quote:He looks so much more comfortable and better there.

As a LG, he's a very athletic and tall guard that can get to the second level, move guys in the run game, handle interior pass rushers, and has the positional flexibility to be a serviceable/average LT in a pinch. He offers a lot of upside there. At LT, he's just an average player that can get mentally abused.
I don't know, I'd say he took some physical abuse there too.
Uh I didn't see any bad plays out of him at LG during the scrimmage. In fact he stoned guys in pass blocking all night and was a positive factor in the run game.

Quote:eh, not sure what everyone else is seeing yet.

he'll be gone next year.
Rewatch the scrimmage and pay attention to him. He played really well at LG. Notice you didn't hear his name the entire time he was there. 

Quote:Uh I didn't see any bad plays out of him at LG during the scrimmage. In fact he stoned guys in pass blocking all night and was a positive factor in the run game.

Rewatch the scrimmage and pay attention to him. He played really well at LG. Notice you didn't hear his name the entire time he was there. 

i didn't re-watch it to be honest - but didn't he get blown up one at least one play?  I remember someone next to me saying that Joeckel got manhandled on one particular play.  

either way, I hope he does better than he has been doing at LT.  I still don't think he's the guy for us.  We'll be getting another LG next year.
Quote:i didn't re-watch it to be honest - but didn't he get blown up one at least one play? I remember someone next to me saying that Joeckel got manhandled on one particular play.

either way, I hope he does better than he has been doing at LT. I still don't think he's the guy for us. We'll be getting another LG next year.

That was when he was moved to LT. Got beat by Werner.
Quote:i didn't re-watch it to be honest - but didn't he get blown up one at least one play?  I remember someone next to me saying that Joeckel got manhandled on one particular play.  

either way, I hope he does better than he has been doing at LT.  I still don't think he's the guy for us.  We'll be getting another LG next year.
he looks good at LG to me. We'll see.
Quote:he looks good at LG to me. We'll see.

for me it was hard to notice anybody except Dante Fowler in the trenches.  Nobody else jumped out at me, on defense or offense, positively or negatively.

I think when tackling isn't allowed - it just makes evaluating linemen much harder.  We will see how Joeckel does in pre-season.
in the case of a guard that's a good thing.

He gone after this year.

We ll get more of an idea Thursday when he goes against the Jets talented Dline.
Joeckel was a beast at LG. I watched him closely.

Should have been a LG from the get go.
Quote:Joeckel was a beast at LG. I watched him closely.

Should have been a LG from the get go.

0-10, what do you have him at?

I didn't personally keep a close eye on him, but I also didn't notice Jackson a whole lot either.
Quote:Uh I didn't see any bad plays out of him at LG during the scrimmage. In fact he stoned guys in pass blocking all night and was a positive factor in the run game.

I noticed a couple bad plays by Joekel, but they were against Malik Jackson. What's more telling here is that there were only a couple.

Luke played pretty well at LG. I'll be watching him closely against the Jets. It will be interesting to see if they continue to play him with the 1s, 2s, and 3s.
Quote:Luke played pretty well at LG. I'll be watching him closely against the Jets. It will be interesting to see if they continue to play him with the 1s, 2s, and 3s.

Wouldn't surprise me.  Guys changing positions tend to get extra work.  He'll need it from a mental/rep standpoint.

I've played RT, LG, RG, and C (one snap, LOL!)

You may have a tougher pass blocking job at T due to the athletes you face, but it's much more dynamic playing inside.  A LOT more communication and different responsibilities.  Chipping, doubling, pulling, trapping - all more common on the inside.  Only outside communication a T needs is if he's covered by a TE that's staying in to block.  For a G, it's every snap knowing exactly what's going on to your left and right, and the second level of the defense.
From what I've read in practice and saw in the scrimmage he looked like a different player. Shows that he is a powerful and competent player he just hasn't been able to adapt to the speed and versatility of NFL edge rushers.

I hope this is true.  The OLine scares me going into the season.  Beachum has barely practiced.  Joeckel looked terrible at LT in OTAs.  I have not seen Luke at LG yet.  Linder is coming back from a serious injury and learning a new position.  If the O-Line comes together, this team could be a borderline playoff team. 

Joekel's strength coming out of college was his agility while his biggest need was adding strength.  I'm not convinced that he's added the necessary strength to move DTs or handle their rush without help from the Center.

at LT he was below average

i wouldn't get too pumped up about the position switch until we see him in real games
Pages: 1 2