Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Trump - "I've always wanted a Purple Heart" / Wimped out on Vietnam.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Scum bag trump at it again.
He should have told that retired Lt. Colonel who gave it to him as a gift to take a hike while throwing that purple heart in the trash. I mean, for real people, WHO ACCEPTS GIFTS IN 2016?

Quote:He should have told that retired Lt. Colonel who gave it to him as a gift to take a hike while throwing that purple heart in the trash. I mean, for real people, WHO ACCEPTS GIFTS IN 2016?

He said he always wanted a Purple Heart...

Lol, but he punked out of the Vietnam war. I mean you don't see the insanity of this man? To be honest, I think most normal politicians would have thanked the vet for their service and support, but told the man that he could not accept such an honor.

I'm pretty sure no vet wants a Purple Heart... Except trump... Trump always wanted one... So much so that he said he had an owie that wouldn't let him go fight for his country. This guy has lost his marbles.
Quote:He said he always wanted a Purple Heart...

1. Lol, but he punked out of the Vietnam war. I mean you don't see the insanity of this man? To be honest, I think most normal politicians would have thanked the vet for their service and support, but told the man that he could not accept such an honor.

2. I'm pretty sure no vet wants a Purple Heart... Except trump... Trump always wanted one... So much so that he said he had an owie that wouldn't let him go fight for his country. This guy has lost his marbles.

1. Source? He had a draft number. How did he punk out if he had a draft number?

2. I hope you are speaking from experience. I am a vet, I knew plenty of people while on active duty who wanted a purple heart. Purple Hearts are symbols of courage and valor. Doesn't mean they go seeking an injury, but having a purple heart is a badge of honor.
Quote:1. Source? He had a draft number. How did he punk out if he had a draft number?

2. I hope you are speaking from experience. I am a vet, I knew plenty of people while on active duty who wanted a purple heart. Purple Hearts are symbols of courage and valor. Doesn't mean they go seeking an injury, but having a purple heart is a badge of honor.

Trump got a deferment from duty, just like all the Fortunate Sons did. He punked out... If he wanted a Purple Heart he had his chance... He makes a mockery of the honor by saying he always wanted one, when in fact he did everything he could to avoid the honor.

I was not aware that you served, I appreciate and thank you for your time in service. I did not serve. And my words were rather lazy, I believe you are correct that being awaeded with a Purple Heart is a great honor. But, nobody is looking to get injured or even killed. I've had friends in the military, and the motto I have heard a lot was "I'll fight for my country, you can die for yours"or something similar to that.

Trumps words just ring hollow... To think this guy would take a real vet's award for his sacrifice when he chose to not to be bothered is just typical of this guy.
Trump was being polite.  I do this same thing every Christmas:  "I always wanted a bright green Sponge-Bob necktie.  Now I don't have to go out and look for one."

He woulda gone, but y'know.. bone spurs.
To some refusing such a gift would be the insult. Have some respect for the Vet that decided that he wanted to bestow that medal to Trump. He earned it and it was his to give to whomever he wished.

Quote:Trump was being polite.  I do this same thing every Christmas:  "I always wanted a bright green Sponge-Bob necktie.  Now I don't have to go out and look for one."

Great comparison. Except you don't go and look for the medal, you earn it. Then again, you may have earned that neck tie. Then your analogy is sound.
Quote:Trump got a deferment from duty, just like all the Fortunate Sons did. He punked out... If he wanted a Purple Heart he had his chance... He makes a mockery of the honor by saying he always wanted one, when in fact he did everything he could to avoid the honor.

I was not aware that you served, I appreciate and thank you for your time in service. I did not serve. And my words were rather lazy, I believe you are correct that being awaeded with a Purple Heart is a great honor. But, nobody is looking to get injured or even killed. I've had friends in the military, and the motto I have heard a lot was "I'll fight for my country, you can die for yours"or something similar to that.

Trumps words just ring hollow... To think this guy would take a real vet's award for his sacrifice when he chose to not to be bothered is just typical of this guy.

Hard to find a clear timeline of events that isn't riddled with partisan bias. WaPo outlined it "OK".

------

For the previous four years, Trump had avoided the draft — and the possibility of being sent to fight in the Vietnam War — by obtaining four separate deferments so he could study at Fordham University and the University of Pennsylvania. With his diploma in hand and his college days over, he was suddenly vulnerable to conscription.

Trump’s exposure to the draft, however, didn’t last long. Two months later, on Sept. 17, 1968, he reported for an armed forces physical examination and was medically disqualified, according to the ledger from his local Selective Service System draft board in Jamaica, N.Y., now in the custody of the National Archives.

The ledger does not detail why Trump failed the exam — the Selective Service destroyed all medical records and individual files after the draft ended in 1973 and the military converted to an all-volunteer force.

Trump’s draft board records show that he had another armed forces physical two years earlier, on Dec. 15, 1966. Although the ledger does not spell out the results, he was not granted a medical deferment at the time — indicating that he was found fit for duty.

In 1968, Trump obtained his medical deferment at a time when the Vietnam War was intensifying and the military needed a wave of new conscripts.

To help meet the demand, a national draft lottery was held in December 1969, for the first time since World War II. Men born between 1946 and 1950 were assigned a draft number — based on the order in which their birthdates were pulled randomly out of a jar.

That year, young men with the same birthdate as Trump — June 14 — were assigned draft number 356 out of 366, almost last. Anyone with that number was almost guaranteed to avoid being drafted, unless the entire country mobilized.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat...story.html

I am not familiar with the times, but didn't a lot of college students get deferments? After college he did get a very high draft number, though I suppose his medical deferments could have prevented him from going.

Found this interesting list of names of people who did or did not enter draft from conservativepoliticalforum.com:

Among Republicans:

Tom Ridge: did not serve. Entered draft but recieved #245

Andy Card: did not serve. Draft #65 - should have been drafted

Dennis Hastert: did not serve. Not subject to 1969 Draft Lottery because born before 1945

Tom Delay: did not serve. Entered draft but received #312

Bill Frist: did not serve. Was in medical school-deferred

Steve Forbes: did not serve. Entered draft but recieved #190

Trent Lott: did not serve. Entered draft but received #234

John Ashcroft: did not serve. Entered draft but received #197

Jeb Bush: did not serve. Draft #159 - should have been drafted

Karl Rove: did not serve. Entered draft, received #84 - should have been drafted

Paul Wolfowitz: did not serve. Not subject to 1969 Draft Lottery because born before 1945

Newt Gingrich: did not serve. Not subject to 1969 Draft Lottery because born before 1945

George W. Bush: National Guard. If had entered draft, would have received #327 which contributed to his leaving Air Nat'l Guard prior to fulfilling commitment.

Phil Gramm: did not serve. Not subject to 1969 Draft Lottery because born before 1945

JC Watts: did not serve. Draft had been replaced by all volunteer army before J.C. turned 18

Jack Kemp: did not serve. Not subject to 1969 Draft Lottery because born before 1945

Dan Quayle: served with Indiana National Guard despite having Draft Lottery #210

Rudy Giuliani: did not serve. Not subject to 1969 Draft Lottery because born before 1945

George Pataki: did not serve. Entered draft but received #358

Spencer Abraham: did not serve. Entered draft, received #272

Now for Democrats:

Sandy Berger: did not serve. Draft #94 - should have been drafted

David Bonior: Staff Sgt., Air Force 1968-72. Draft #110 - enlisted to avoid being drafted

James Carville Jr.: did not serve. Not subject to 1969 Draft Lottery because born before 1945

Gary Condit: did not serve. Draft #62 - should have been drafted.

Tom Daschle: 1st Lt., Air Force SAC 1969-72. Draft #43 - enlisted to avoid being drafted

John Edwards (Kerry's 2004 running mate): did not serve; Draft #76 - should have been drafted.

John Feingold: did not serve. Draft #77 - should have been drafted

Al Gore: enlisted Aug. 1969; sent to Vietnam in 20th Engineer Brigade. Draft #30; served as writer for Stars & Stripes

Dennis Kucinich, #342 - Eligible but with high number

Robert Reich: did not serve. Entered draft but received #358

Bill Richardson: did not serve. Draft #131 - should have been drafted

Charles "Chuck" Schumer: did not serve. Draft #182 - should have been drafted

Al Sharpton: did not serve. Entered draft but received #244

George Tenet: did not serve. Draft #101 - should have been drafted

Al Franken: did not serve. Entered draft but received #250

Now for some of the notable media types:

Paul Allen (Microsoft co-founder), #347 - Eligible but with high number

Gary Bauer (political activiist), #276 - Eligible but with high number

Carl Bernstein - Not subject to draft because born in/before 1945

Wolf Blitzer, #248 - Eligible but with high number

Aaron Brown (CNN anchor), #282 - Eligible but with high number

Pat Buchanan: did not serve. Not subject to 1969 Draft Lottery because born before 1945

Tucker Carlson: did not serve. All volunteer military replaced draft before he turned 18

Bob Costas: did not serve. Entered drafted but received #265

Howard Dean, #148 - Should have been drafted

Lou Dobbs - Not subject to draft because born in/before 1945

Christopher Dodd - Not subject to draft because born in/before 1945

Steve Doocy: did not serve. All volunteer military replaced draft before he was 18

Larry Flynt - Not subject to draft because born in/before 1945

Tommy Franks (retired Army general) - Not subject to draft because born in/before 1945; volunteered

Greg Gumbel, #40 - Should have been drafted

Chuck Hagel, #202 - Good chance wouldn't have been drafted

Sean Hannity: did not serve. Draft replaced by volunteer military before he turned 18

Brit Hume - Not subject to draft because born in/before 1945

John Kasich, #295 - Eligible but with high number

Jeffery Katzenberg, #70 - Should have been drafted

Michael Kinsley: did not serve. Entered draft but received #317

Ted Koppel - Not subject to draft because born in/before 1945

Bill Kristol: did not serve. Draft #162 - should have been drafted

Matt Lauer - Draft ended before he turned 18

Rush Limbaugh: did not serve. Entered draft but received #221

Chris Matthews: did not serve. Being born in '45 was subject to draft

Kweisi Mfume, #196 - Good chance wouldn't have been drafted

Dennis Miller: did not serve. Entered draft but received #294

Michael Moore - Draft ended before he turned 18

Bill O'Reilly: did not serve. Draft #71- should have been drafted

Richard Parsons (Time magazine CEO), #81 - Should have been drafted

Tim Russert: did not serve. Draft #35 - should have been drafted

Michael Reagan - Not subject to draft because born in/before 1945

Ralph Reed: did not serve. All volunteer military replaced draft before he turned 18

Mitt Romney, #300 - Eligible but with high

Kenneth Starr: did not serve. Draft #27 - should have been drafted

Antonin Scalia: did not serve. Not subject to 1969 Draft Lottery because born before 1945

Clarence Thomas: did not serve. Draft #109 - should have been drafted

Chris Wallace: served in Vietnam. Entered draft, received #72 - was drafted

Now for everybody's favorites - Celebs & Well Known People (including those quite vocal in politics):

Gregg Allman, #105 - Should have been drafted

Tim Allen: did not serve. Draft #69 - should have been drafted

Richard Dean Anderson, #118 - Should have been drafted

Desi Arnaz Jr, #188 - Good chance wouldn't have been drafted

Armand Assante, #202 - Good chance wouldn't have been drafted

Ed Begley Jr, #207 - Good chance wouldn't have been drafted

Tom Berenger: did not serve. Entered draft but received #313

Jeff Bridges: did not serve. Draft #165 - should have been drafted

Keith Carradine: did not serve. Draft #48 - should have been drafted

Alice Cooper, #210 - Good chance wouldn't have been drafted

Billy Crystal: did not serve. Entered draft but received #354

Ted Danson: did not serve. Draft #16 - should have been drafted

Richard Dreyfuss: did not serve. Draft #99 - should have been drafted

Fred Dryer, #327 - Eligible but with high number

Patrick Duffy, #33 - Should have been drafted

Erik Estrada, #166 - Should have been drafted

Dan Fogelberg, #307 - Eligible but with high number

Larry Gatlin, #298 - Eligible but with high number

Richard Gere: did not serve. Draft #11 - should have been drafted.

Mel Gibson: did not serve. All volunteer military replaced draft before he was 18

Robert Ginty, #127 - Should have been drafted

Danny Glover: did not serve. Draft #153 - should have been drafted

Jeff Goldblum, #117 - Should have been drafted

John Goodman, #360 - Eligible but with high number

Michael Gross, #27 - Should have been drafted

Christorpher Guest, #214 - Good chance wouldn't have been drafted

Arlo Guthrie, #284 - Eligible but with high number

Daryl Hall, #237 - Eligible but with high number

Mark Hamill, #149 - Should have been drafted

Ed Harris, #281 - Eligible but with high number

David Hasselhoff, #98 - Should have been drafted

Don Henley, #153 - Should have been drafted

PeeWee Herman, #352 - Eligible but with high number

Ron Howard: did not serve. Entered draft but received #364

Tom Hulce, #198 - Good chance wouldn't have been drafted

Bill Irwin, #14 - Should have been drafted

Samuel L. Jackson: did not serve. Draft #70 - should have been drafted

Don Johnson: did not serve. Entered draft but received #320

Tommy Lee Jones: did not serve. Draft #113 - should have been drafted

David Keith - Draft ended before he turned 18

John Landis, #261 - Eligible but with high number

Kenny Loggins, #306 - Eligible but with high number

George Lucas: did not serve. Not subject to 1969 Draft Lottery because born before 1945

Barry Manilow, #73 - Should have been drafted

Tim Matheson: did not serve. Draft #100 - should have been drafted

Michael McKean, #288 - Eligible but with high number

Gerald McRaney, #311 - Eligible but with high number

John Mellencamp, #234 - Eligible but with high number

Bill Murray: did not serve. Entered draft but received #204

Christopher Noth - Draft ended before he turned 18

John Oates, #149 - Should have been drafted

Edward James Olmos: did not serve. Entered draft but received #236

Ed O'Neill: did not serve. Entered draft but received #346

Mickey O'Rouke: did not serve. Entered draft but received #284

Jameson Parker: did not serve. Draft #146 - should have been drafted

Will Patton: did not serve. Draft #113 - should have been drafted

Ron Perlman: did not serve. Draft #124 - should have been drafted

Tom Petty, #192 - Good chance wouldn't have been drafted

Joe Piscopo: did not serve. Draft #98 - should have been drafted

Billy Preston, #263 - Eligible but with high number

Dennis Quaid: did not serve. All volunteer military replaced draft before he was 18

Randy Quaid: did not serve. Entered draft but received #359

Rob Reiner, #139 - Should have been drafted

Lionel Ritchie, #360 - Eligible but with high number

Tim Robbins: did not serve. All volunteer military replaced draft before he was 18

Kurt Russell: did not serve. Draft #33 - should have been drafted

Pat Sajak, #7 - Should have been drafted

Garry Shandling, #99 - Should have been drafted

Ron Silver, #350 - Eligible but with high number

Jerry Springer, #152 - Should have been drafted

Howard Stern - Draft ended before he turned 18

Parker Stevenson, #20 - Should have been drafted

Patrick Swayze, #141 - Should have been drafted

Steven Seagal: did not serve. Entered draft but received #218

Jerry Seinfeld: did not serve. All volunteer military replaced draft before he was 18

Steven Spielberg: did not serve. Draft #128 - should have been drafted

Bruce Springsteen: did not serve. Draft #119 - should have been drafted

Slyvester Stallone: did not serve. Entered draft but received #327

Oliver Stone: served in Vietnam. Entered draft, received #113 - was drafted

John Tesh: did not serve. Entered draft but received #279

Phillip Michael Thomas, #357 - Eligible but with high number

Richard Thomas: did not serve. Draft #69 - should have been drafted

John Travolta: did not serve. All volunteer military replaced draft before he was 18

Steven Van Zandt, #9 - Should have been drafted

Ben Vereen, #220 - Good chance wouldn't have been drafted

Denzel Washington: did not serve. All volunteer military replaced draft before he was 18

Carl Weathers: did not serve. Entered draft, received #238

Peter Weller, #358 - Eligible but with high number

Robin Williams: did not serve. Draft #27 - should have been drafted

Treat Williams, #129 - Should have been drafted

Bruce Willis: did not serve. All volunteer military replaced draft before he was 18

Demond Wilson, #138 - Should have been drafted

Henry Winkler - Not subject to draft because born in/before 1945

James Woods: did not serve. Draft #90 - should have been drafted

Robert Zemeckis, #178 - Should have been drafted
Has anybody stopped and asked themselves why veterans love Trump so much? Is that an indication they are currently being treated well? Probably not.
let's get upset about nothing again

I was in that same draft lottery and my number was ~200 (I know the exact number but don't want to post my D.O.B.).  Deferments were pretty standard for college students.  It's funny when you think about how cheap college was (I think my first semester of full classes was about $300) but the academic standards were much higher. 

Quote:Trump got a deferment from duty, just like all the Fortunate Sons did. He punked out... If he wanted a Purple Heart he had his chance... He makes a mockery of the honor by saying he always wanted one, when in fact he did everything he could to avoid the honor.

+1 for the bolded underlined parts.

Alot of Veterans are upset at him for this very reason. 
Quote:+1 for the bolded underlined parts.

Alot of Veterans are upset at him for this very reason. 

Really? Lets see a legit link.
Quote:Alot of Veterans are upset at him for this very reason. 

Got a number, percentage, or poll on that, pal?
Quote:Really? Lets see a legit link.

Quote:Got a number, percentage, or poll on that, pal?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch...ic/493988/
Quote:http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch...ic/493988/

No numbers, percentages, or polls in that article. This is from one group, the VFW, and their members disagreed with their statement.

"This prompted a divisive debate on Facebook. Many members objected to the statement.

“VFW is supposed to be non-political,” Monica Parrish Noland wrote on its Facebook page, echoing many. “If you want to express a political opinion, don't do it as a representative of the VFW … Hillary Clinton must never become President.”  

Kate McCabe declared that the VFW “just lost the support of this veteran’s wife, veteran’s daughter, granddaughter, niece, cousin! How ignorant are you!” She went on to ignorantly repeat prejudicial falsehoods about Khan’s intentions, positing that Trump’s election “is going to effect Khan's business and maybe his interests in increasing the Muslim population in this country not to assimilate, but to conquer!”"

Partisan biased drivel.

Quote:I was in that same draft lottery and my number was ~200 (I know the exact number but don't want to post my D.O.B.).  Deferments were pretty standard for college students.  It's funny when you think about how cheap college was (I think my first semester of full classes was about $300) but the academic standards were much higher.

The point is, that the dude is a total con... He's never wanted a Purple Heart... That was another stupid lie... He just spouts this riduculois nonsense that just gets more and more insane. This is not stuff that a serious man says and does.
JW Do you realize the amount of mental gymnastics you need to do daily to justify your opinion of this man?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5