Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: We adjust for population with murder rates. Why not for mass shootings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

We adjust for population with murder rates. Why not for mass shootings?

Many believe that the United States is unique in terms of mass public shootings. Even after the attacks last November that left 130 dead in Paris, President Obama had the gall to claim, “We are the only advanced country on Earth that sees this kind of mass violence erupt with this kind of frequency.”

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-...story.html

Because your argument kind of goes out the window when you realize mass shootings are happening on an almost weekly basis in the US. 

Quote:Because your argument kind of goes out the window when you realize mass shootings are happening on an almost weekly basis in the US. 

Read the article, we're only #11-12 in mass shootings per capita

Quit spouting off without knowing the facts
Drifter being  an apologist for mass murder!

God almighty, man.

Quote:We adjust for population with murder rates. Why not for mass shootings?

Many believe that the United States is unique in terms of mass public shootings. Even after the attacks last November that left 130 dead in Paris, President Obama had the gall to claim, “We are the only advanced country on Earth that sees this kind of mass violence erupt with this kind of frequency.”

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-...story.html

Quote:Because your argument kind of goes out the window when you realize mass shootings are happening on an almost weekly basis in the US. 

Quote:Read the article, we're only #11-12 in mass shootings per capita

The facts are, both the President and DF are correct, because they are both talking about frequency, i.e. shootings/year instead of shootings/million people.

A country like, say, Iceland might only have a mass shooting once every 2 decades but they'd go off the charts because they only have half a million people.

Anders Breivik skewed the curve for Norway by being the worst mass shooter in history, and doing it in a small country.  Feel free to measure violence using the metric offered in the gun nut op-ed, but I think it's kinda idiotic.
Quote:Read the article, we're only #11-12 in mass shootings per capita

Do you know the difference between per capita and frequency?
Regarding mass shootings - we got lots of it. Why? I don't know. I don't think I want to know TBH.
Quote:Regarding mass shootings - we got lots of it. Why? I don't know. I don't think I want to know TBH.

Mass shooting are up 800% during the Obama administration. 
Quote:Mass shooting are up 800% during the Obama administration.

False flags for everybody!