Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is Mass Media United Against Trump?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Image: OTIm8a8l.jpg]

In a recent conversation with Slate, The Intercept’s Glenn Greenwald agrees that a possible Donald Trump presidency “poses ... extreme dangers” to the U.S., but the journalist also argues that the mass media is not only creating a dangerous, unblinking consensus against Trump but also failing to reach his voters.

From Slate:

<b>What did you think of Trump’s press conference? You’ve gone after people who you thought were smearing those denying a Trump-Russia connection, and you’ve used the word McCarthyite to describe them. But now Trump has encouraged the Russians to find or release more Hillary Clinton emails.</b>

OK, so, I am glad you asked about that because this is the conflict that I am currently having: The U.S. media is essentially 100 percent united, vehemently, against Trump, and preventing him from being elected president. I don’t have an actual problem with that because I share the premises on which it is based about why he poses such extreme dangers. But that doesn’t mean that as a journalist, or even just as a citizen, that I am willing to go along with any claim, no matter how fact-free, no matter how irrational, no matter how dangerous it could be, in order to bring Trump down.

So, literally, the lead story in the New York Times [on Thursday] suggests, and other people have similarly suggested it, that Trump was literally putting in a request to Putin for the Russians to cyberattack the FBI, the United States government, or get Hillary Clinton’s emails. That is such unmitigated [BLEEP]. What that was was an offhanded, trolling comment designed to make some kind of snide reference to the need to find Hillary’s emails. He wasn’t directing the Russians, in some genuine, literal way, to go on some cybermission to find Hillary’s emails. If he wanted to request the Russians to do that, why would he do it in some offhanded way in a press conference? It was a stupid, reckless comment that he made elevated into treason.

You interviewed Chris [Hayes] about Brexit and I just want to submit to you that the mistake the U.K. media and U.K. elites made with Brexit is the exact same one that the U.S. media and U.S. elites are making about Trump. U.K. elites were uniform, uniform, in their contempt for the Brexit case, other than the right-wing Murdochian tabloids. They all sat on Twitter all day long, from the left to the right, and all reinforced each other about how smart and how sophisticated they were in scorning and [being snide] about UKIP and Boris Johnson and all of the Brexit leaders, and they were convinced that they had made their case. Everyone they were talking to—which is themselves—agreed with them. It was constant reinforcement, and anyone who raised even a peep of dissent or questioned the claims they were making was instantly castigated as somebody who was endangering the future of the U.K. because they were endorsing—or at least impeding—the effort to stop Brexit. This is what’s happening now.

Do you think the people voting for Donald Trump because they feel their economic future has been destroyed, or because they are racist, or because they feel fear of immigrants and hate the U.S. elite structure and want Trump to go and blow it up, give the slightest [BLEEP] about Ukraine, that Trump is some kind of agent of Putin? They don’t! Just like the Brexit supporters. The U.K. media tried the same thing, telling the Brexit advocates that they were playing into Putin’s hands, that Putin wanted the U.K. out of the EU to weaken both. They didn’t care about that. That didn’t drive them. Nobody who listened to Trump could think that was genuinely a treasonous request for the Russians to go and cyberattack the U.S. government.

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/i...p_20160731

Personally, I have never seen anything like it. NYT, WaPo, Politico, CNN, ABC, and MSNBC all act and react in the exact same fashion. They have become the fourth branch. It is Orwellian, and it is scary.

Is that a real screenshot? lol. I know its CNN, but that seems crazy even for them.

Quote:Personally, I have never seen anything like it. NYT, WaPo, Politico, CNN, ABC, and MSNBC all act and react in the exact same fashion. They have become the fourth branch. It is Orwellian, and it is scary.

The media outlets you listed are all dying because they can't be trusted.  People increasingly get their information via social media, and that's why we're seeing blatant censorship by Google, Facebook, Twitter and Reddit. 

They talk about low-information voters.  What the media really wants is no-information voters.
Quote:The media outlets you listed are all dying because they can't be trusted.  People increasingly get their information via social media, and that's why we're seeing blatant censorship by Google, Facebook, Twitter and Reddit. 

They talk about low-information voters.  What the media really wants is no-information voters.

I think we are seeing both the death of an old journalistic medium with mass media, and a revolution in indie-journalism with social media, independent news organizations, and apps like periscope. This is a very good thing considering the MSM has ~10% trustworthy rating. Unfortunately the MSM still holds major power and narrative control.
Is it possible that trumps racism and bigotry has just reached a head?

This story is the culmination of months of his tripe... This family nailed the issue perfectly. Of course the media is jumping on It.
Quote:Is it possible that trumps racism and bigotry has just reached a head?

This story is the culmination of months of his tripe... This family nailed the issue perfectly. Of course the media is jumping on It.

Sometimes I can't tell if you are serious or just kidding. I have a hard time believing any human can be this brainwashed,
Quote:What the media really wants is no-information voters.

What they want is "Party Propaganda Only" voters.
No conspiracy theory.

Trump is a terrible candidate and will lose big to Hillary in November.

Quote:No conspiracy theory.

If you said it, it must be true.
Quote:No conspiracy theory.

So that makes single-party-controlled mass media and yellow journalism acceptable.

This country is done for.
You guys don't see the countless hours of Clinton email talk, because of your hatred of Hillary, you are blinded to it.

This is a big story, so it's getting a ton of play. When Comey came out with his Fbi statement, Hillary was run through the coals for a good two weeks. Trump has been getting destroyed for a few days only... You act as though he hasn't received 2 billion dollars worth of free positive coverage since he declared over a year ago.

Suck it up, guys. This is how the media works.

Now if you want to have a discussion about how the media is owned by a few multinational corporations that control the message we receive, and shape the narrative of events to benefit their own interests instead of the public good, let's have that discussion.

But to complain about the fact that a Muslim-U.S. veteran family has been eviserating an anti Muslim, anti veteran candidate that is a racist bigot, just sounds like whining... Put on your big boy pants... You decided to support this loser, either suck it up, or change your support to Johnson or someone else.
Quote:So that makes single-party-controlled mass media and yellow journalism acceptable.

This country is done for.

LOL, as if Fox News does not exist
Imagine the time when American pride was so strong that the press kept a presidents paralysis out of circulation. Was it press manipulating the public? Was it a bad thing?

The mass media CREATED Donald Trump.

Without it, he's like scores of other anonymous billionaires on the Forbes 400.

Quote:The mass media CREATED Donald Trump.

Without it, he's like scores of other anonymous billionaires on the Forbes 400.

They build you up to tear you down.

Open and shut case, Johnson.
Yes, the media favors the Democrats.  That said, Trump sure does give them ammo on a daily basis to keep shooting.   If Trump could stay on script, I'd think he'd have a 50%+ chance of winning. 

Quote:anti Muslim, anti veteran candidate that is a racist bigot

Care to back any of that up?

Quote:Care to back any of that up?

I know, right? How can a man who employs thousands upon thousands of people from different nationalities be called a racist bigot?
Quote:You guys don't see the countless hours of Clinton email talk, because of your hatred of Hillary, you are blinded to it.

Well said. For months now, certain outlets keep pounding us with the "But What About The Emails???!!!" Despite 70 million being spent on the investigation... And the 2nd investigation, then the next "follow up" investigation by the SC Governer guy... And the FBI telling them all to find another cause. But Fox keeps telling us they are going to prosecute her any day now...

But similarly 80 million was spent on "whitewater" investigations that led to nothing but some wiretapping and Kenneth Starr's report about some intern being "unprofessionally" romantically involved with Bill Clinton.

That's $150,000,000 spent that could have gone to our schools.
Quote:Well said. For months now, certain outlets keep pounding us with the "But What About The Emails???!!!" Despite 70 million being spent on the investigation... And the 2nd investigation, then the next "follow up" investigation by the SC Governer guy... And the FBI telling them all to find another cause. But Fox keeps telling us they are going to prosecute her any day now...

But similarly 80 million was spent on "whitewater" investigations that led to nothing but some wiretapping and Kenneth Starr's report about some intern being "unprofessionally" romantically involved with Bill Clinton.

That's $150,000,000 spent that could have gone to our schools.

And only if Hillary Clinton's state department hadn't "lost" $6,000,000,000, it could have all went into our schools as well. Shucks.

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/...y-clinton/

The State Department misplaced and lost some $6 billion due to the improper filing of contracts during the past six years, mainly during the tenure of former Secretary of State Hilary Clinton, according to a newly released Inspector General report.

The $6 billion in unaccounted funds poses a “significant financial risk and demonstrates a lack of internal control over the Department’s contract actions,” according to the report.

The alert, originally sent on March 20 and just released this week, warns that the missing contracting funds “could expose the department to substantial financial losses.”

The report centered on State Department contracts worth “more than $6 billion in which contract files were incomplete or could not be located at all,” according to the alert.

“The failure to maintain contract files adequately creates significant financial risk and demonstrates a lack of internal control over the Department’s contract actions,” the alert states.

The situation “creates conditions conducive to fraud, as corrupt individuals may attempt to conceal evidence of illicit behavior by omitting key documents from the contract file,” the report concluded.

The State Department’s inability to properly file its paperwork is causing most of the losses, according to the report.

The IG “found repeated examples of poor contract file administration” over the years, the report said.
Pages: 1 2 3