Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Deandre Hopkins holding out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
News just in that Deandre Hopkins has left camp and is holding out for a new contract.Texans are apparently refusing to negotiate but its still early days.

Good news all round!
@AdamSchefter: Unhappy with contract, Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins has left camp, holdout underway, HOU has declined to negotiate, via @taniaganguli and me.
Good. Hope he doesn't play at all this season.
As classy as his heavily Offensive PI based style of play makes him seem.

Quote:As classy as his heavily Offensive PI based style of play makes him seem.

If you get away with it no reason not to do it.
Quote:If you get away with it no reason not to do it.

Yes, it's the referee's job to officiate the game. Still doesn't change a thing about what I think of him as a player. He's had statistical success but my feelings about him are heavily negative. He's definitely no Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson, guys whose game was easy to appreciate because they did it more with overpowering ability instead of getting away with breaking the rules.
Quote:Yes, it's the referee's job to officiate the game. Still doesn't change a thing about what I think of him as a player. He's had statistical success but my feelings about him are heavily negative. He's definitely no Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson, guys whose game was easy to appreciate because they did it more with overpowering ability instead of getting away with breaking the rules.

Yeah he does get away with push offs more than anyone but he's still a great receiver.Probably has the best body control just before the catch in the NFL.
Pay him whatever he wants
Quote:Pay him whatever he wants

His salary this year is way below what he deserves. As a 3rd year rookie his contract could be redone. The tinhorns were foolish for not stepping up and renegotiating it during the offseason.

He deserves to be paid, and he's using one of the only tools at his disposal to try to negotiate.

I never like this approach, but don't know enough about his team/agent situation to know if it's necessary in this case.

In most cases, I don't believe it is.  Agents love the drama.

For his sake, I hope it doesn't end up being a sit out, get hurt when you come back, and still haven't gotten a deal scenario.

He's a top talent and among the best at his position.  You simply can't do that if you aren't special with such garbage at QB.  I can't root against his personal success, though I may not wish for his team's success.

Obviously he wants to get paid now i get that, he has a life to live and what not

but look at some of the other guys that have to get paid along with him in 2018 or before if they get deals done prior. The entire 2014 WR class (Odb,Sammy,Evans,Arob,cooks etc) and antonio brown. Those deals are gonna get crazy and if i were Hop id take full advantage of that climate rather than right now.

But again, this guy has financial needs that cant all wait till 2018 so whatever happens he deserves a very nice chunk of change cause hes about to carry another subpar QB for that franchise.
The thing about getting too eager to re-sign is...

The last guy to sign gets the biggest check.  Only to be outdone by the next signing.  And the next.  And the next...

MJD got paid early and still pitched a fit before that contract was over, even though he was somewhat "paid in advance" at the beginning of it.

The answer to how much money you need, and how many points a team needs is always the same.

More.

The Texans are not being smart right now by letting their best offensive player walk off the field.

He deserves to be paid.
He's a top five receiver and balling for 2mil a year. I'd hold out too.

Jags should offer the future 32nd pick of the 2017 draft Wink

I wonder if Allen Robinson is watching.
Quote:I wonder if Allen Robinson is watching.

He tuned in a few weeks ago when Hurnsey got paid.
Hopkins holding out, Watt injured, Brock is unproven...I'll take it.
Quote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...sf32189152

Welp

Forty thousand dollars a day in fines speaks very loudly. I'm so glad the NFL got that into the CBA.
Pages: 1 2