Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Has anyone on here been to a National Convention?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have. I was living in South Carolina and got invited up to the DNC in Charlotte 2012. Not to go inside, but I was working with a media company.

I read a lot of posts on here saying there was a huge ruckus outside that was ignored by the liberal or biased media. Since many on here are clamoring for more coverage outside, let me explain what I saw that day outside.

1st- Every block of uptown Charlotte had a different "contingent" yelling and "protesting" and just making noise to be seen and heard. I spoke to a group of Vietnam vets on one block holding POW MIA signs. They are still trying to get the US to pay war reparations so the POWs will be released. Good luck with your cause. Another block had protesters demanding the release of JFK files, Area 51 files, the Watergate interviews, doomsday propheciers, some wanted equal pay for some group of former military something-or-another, some wanted to yell at Obama, others wanted to yell at that group... protesters are extremely common and they were everywhere. In the streets, in the buildings, in the stores- you get the idea. To say that the protesters don't get enough coverage is extremely naive. It's mostly a bunch of weirdos and sorting them is futile. Entertaining bunch tho. :-)

2nd- As you can imagine the largest police presence was around the Pro life vs Pro choice protesters. I stayed clear, but these 2 just shouted back and forth across the street. Seems pointless.

3rd- ALL MEDIA OUTLETS have set up big booths outside like the Super Bowl. Fox had almost 1/4 block all their own and were bribing "supporters" with sandwiches (Chik-Fil-A) to stand in their crowd. NBC gave out bags and I think umbrellas. Imagine a huge trade show of media companies. It's a bit overwhelming and street level noise is disorienting.

4th- I still believe the ones actually allowed inside access are pre-screened multiple times over, or are brought in specifically to be part of the crowd. Then coached on how and when to do what, like via an applause sign and meter. We had more fun outside anyway.

Gotta run
Quick note on point 4 - I meant media personnel allowed inside - not the regular people - whom I assume are also hand selected
The protests were fairly civilized. No arrests. Pretty low key. Therefore not much media attention.

All protests at both conventions were given their specific areas.

There was good security and protesters at both conventions were fairly well behaved.

The media focused on both conventions and not protesters...unless something went really crazy

The ones with legitimate beefs are in the minority. The ones like those who want to know where the govt is keeping the alien bodies from a UFO crash and why Ted Cruz' dad wasn't arrested for JFK seem to be plenty.

Coming to think of it. What a good concept for tv show. Protesters Apprentice. The best apprentice protest group gets a front row at the next convention. The others? Well, you know,they get fired. Then they can protest for unlawful dismissal.

Ya listening Don?