Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Shooting deaths of police up 78 percent this year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Didn't want to ignore this topic as it is a fireball of a speaking point for elections 2016.

I am gonna say something really politically incorrect here: I don't see it as blacks vs cops. I do not. I see it as perceived poor (and much more likely to commit criminal acts - especially violent crimes) vs cops. I bet poor white trash are treated like blacks by police. Maybe?

Also- and it really takes a leap here - as a black male I see many others frustrated that nothing really changed for lower income people - even after 8 years of a black president. Barrack didn't roll through the projects handing out corporate jobs and paying off our credit cards like some expected. And that is frustrating b/c there may be no hope after all.

Also, gone is the excuse that blacks can't accomplish the same as whites because having a black man rise up to POTUS twice takes it away. I can complain that my race has been systematically oppressed, and that your grandfather got a job that mine couldn't, and went to better schools that were 100% off-limits to mine, so yours had many better opportunities than mine to set up your dad with wealth so his kids could succeed even further... But a black man was elected 2x to the highest office in the land.

Gone are the excuses, and that is frustrating. And I think those frustrations are manifesting rapidly into reactions. And here we are.
Quote:Didn't want to ignore this topic as it is a fireball of a speaking point for elections 2016.

I am gonna say something really politically incorrect here: I don't see it as blacks vs cops. I do not. I see it as perceived poor (and much more likely to commit criminal acts - especially violent crimes) vs cops. I bet poor white trash are treated like blacks by police. Maybe?

Also- and it really takes a leap here - as a black male I see many others frustrated that nothing really changed for lower income people - even after 8 years of a black president. Barrack didn't roll through the projects handing out corporate jobs and paying off our credit cards like some expected. And that is frustrating b/c there may be no hope after all.

Also, gone is the excuse that blacks can't accomplish the same as whites because having a black man rise up to POTUS twice takes it away. I can complain that my race has been systematically oppressed, and that your grandfather got a job that mine couldn't, and went to better schools that were 100% off-limits to mine, so yours had many better opportunities than mine to set up your dad with wealth so his kids could succeed even further... But a black man was elected 2x to the highest office in the land.

Gone are the excuses, and that is frustrating. And I think those frustrations are manifesting rapidly into reactions. And here we are.
It is definitely a class issue and that's been pointed out on this board several times in the past months. In general do blacks get 'looked at' or deemed more suspect than whites? Sure, and it's sad. But when it comes down to criminal behavior I have seen the poor white folks get treated just as badly as poor black folks. 

I was working construction for Habitat for Humanity in Jacksonville when Obama became POTUS. This means I worked daily with homebuyers who were doing their sweat equity which is a requirement to get a house. It is a fact that most people in Duval County who qualify for Habitat houses, or even apply to be considered, are black. When he won all of the homebuyers were ecstatic because finally one of 'them' was in the House. One guy even told me going forward there is no excuse for the black man anymore. Of course, things didn't go as smoothly with Obama as many thought it would and the excuses came back. 

The thing is, and this is important, Obama was not one of them. He may have the same basic skin tone, but he's not one of them. He's never lived the life they have. Few if any of our elected officials have lived like the majority of the people they represent. And that's where we all go wrong. We honestly think these people represent us and have our interests in mind which we also know is not true. And still we get upset when they don't do what we expect them to do as representatives of the people. 

Hillary Clinton is not for the democratic people. She is for herself. Period. Neither is Donald Trump for the republican people. He is definitely for himself. Period. They are both the epitome of white privilege yet are trying to cater to all of us little people to get in the House. Everything in this country is about class but groups of people, white and black, want to make it about race because that is much more divisive. And that's what they want. Because united we stand, divided we fall. 
Quote:Didn't want to ignore this topic as it is a fireball of a speaking point for elections 2016.

Cheer up. There's plenty of excuses out there ripe for the picking.  And when the next one you decide to roll with runs out of usefulness, there will be another equally useful one to take its place.  You just have to continue using your excuses liberally and maintain your victim mentality to get to the promised land.  You'll get there eventually with a little luck and of course a little help from the government.  Just be patient and don't forget to vote.
Quote:It is definitely a class issue and that's been pointed out on this board several times in the past months. In general do blacks get 'looked at' or deemed more suspect than whites? Sure, and it's sad. But when it comes down to criminal behavior I have seen the poor white folks get treated just as badly as poor black folks. 

I was working construction for Habitat for Humanity in Jacksonville when Obama became POTUS. This means I worked daily with homebuyers who were doing their sweat equity which is a requirement to get a house. It is a fact that most people in Duval County who qualify for Habitat houses, or even apply to be considered, are black. When he won all of the homebuyers were ecstatic because finally one of 'them' was in the House. One guy even told me going forward there is no excuse for the black man anymore. Of course, things didn't go as smoothly with Obama as many thought it would and the excuses came back. 

The thing is, and this is important, Obama was not one of them. He may have the same basic skin tone, but he's not one of them. He's never lived the life they have. Few if any of our elected officials have lived like the majority of the people they represent. And that's where we all go wrong. We honestly think these people represent us and have our interests in mind which we also know is not true. And still we get upset when they don't do what we expect them to do as representatives of the people. 

Hillary Clinton is not for the democratic people. She is for herself. Period. Neither is Donald Trump for the republican people. He is definitely for himself. Period. They are both the epitome of white privilege yet are trying to cater to all of us little people to get in the House. Everything in this country is about class but groups of people, white and black, want to make it about race because that is much more divisive. And that's what they want. Because united we stand, divided we fall. 

I can agree with you on that point.

Many black people, specifically poor blacks thought that having a black President was going to solve their plight.  Instead, it seems to have intensified.

That is part of the problem.  Far too many people expect the government to "hand out" prosperity rather than earn it for themselves.

I do believe that the major difference between political parties is that one side wants to "give stuff" while the other wants to enable people to "earn stuff".
Far too many get undue money and power just due to who their parents are too. Lets not pretend that hard work pays the same for all.

Quote:Far too many get undue money and power just due to who their parents are too. Lets not pretend that hard work pays the same for all.

What does that have to do with anything? How is that relevant to the increase in police shooting deaths?
Quote:Far too many get undue money and power just due to who their parents are too. Lets not pretend that hard work pays the same for all.

It doesn't and no one does. Life is not fair. It will never be fair and no amount of government legislation will ever make it so. 
Quote:It is definitely a class issue and that's been pointed out on this board several times in the past months. In general do blacks get 'looked at' or deemed more suspect than whites? Sure, and it's sad. But when it comes down to criminal behavior I have seen the poor white folks get treated just as badly as poor black folks.

Excellent post. And thanks for taking the time to read mine. I didn't cut or edit it on purpose.

I hate to agree so much - but whenever the middle class thinks their leaders understand the typical day-to-day life problems, I have to laugh.