Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Player hydration during training camp.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Caldwell says the two things that worry him about training camp are injuries and the heat. I definitely agree with number one - injuries are my main worry too. But is heat really an issue these days? Don't they have hydration down to a science?

Quote:Caldwell says the two things that worry him about training camp are injuries and the heat. I definitely agree with number one - injuries are my main worry too. But is heat really an issue these days? Don't they have hydration down to a science?
You can't be serious? Please tell me you're being sarcastic?

I work in the Texas heat(100+ degrees) and I can tell you this, it doesn't matter how much you're on top of it, you can always get behind on your hydration. It's like that moment when you start to feel thirsty, you're already starting to dehydrate. Above 91 degrees, your body starts to go into overdrive. Depending on what you had to eat that day, it can also throw off your hydration. There's no set hydration. I'm also a cyclist and I can tell you that most of the time you're not thinking about drinking or eating anything until it's too late.
Well, I've never played the game, so I don't know.  Thanks for the info.
Hydration is a huge concern. Especially this time of year, I would imagine next year when the practice fields are built, you'll see a lot less cramping

Why less cramping?

Quote:Caldwell says the two things that worry him about training camp are injuries and the heat. I definitely agree with number one - injuries are my main worry too. But is heat really an issue these days? Don't they have hydration down to a science?

They pretty much do try to keep the players hydrated, but it all depends on not only what the players do at practice, but what they do in their off time.  Some of them like to indulge in some adult beverages in their off time, and that can impact their hydration the following day.

It is an applied science. Gatorade are developing these new water bottles that can track how much of a drink is consumed, I don't know if teams are using it yet. But so far there is no way to measure how much water is lost other than weighing someone before and after practice. The issue is you don't know when someone has crossed a dehydration or heat-related threshold in the middle of practice, unless you can see it on the heart-rate monitors (which you can't because they aren't reliable enough).
Question: will the new indoor practice field be air conditioned?  I obviously could see the advantage of practicing in cooler temps. But wouldn't you lose your heat advantage against northern teams like Green Bay?

Not certain what the big concern is.  My players never get dehydrated on Xbox.

Quote:Question: will the new indoor practice field be air conditioned?  I obviously could see the advantage of practicing in cooler temps. But wouldn't you lose your heat advantage against northern teams like Green Bay?

Yes, it will be A/C.  Given the fact that the players live down here, the A/C will benefit in their day to day focus on practice and attention to detail.  Their gameday advantage will remain because they still conduct certain activities outdoors here in the humidity and I'd think they'd move practices outdoors the week of the game.

The shock of a Wisconsin persons as they step foot in Jacksonville in the summer is quite hilarious.  I've not certain if it is the shock of the humidity or just the look they get when they haven't had food and drinks for 3 hours.
Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes.
Don't Stay Thirsty My Friends.
Quote:Question: will the new indoor practice field be air conditioned?  I obviously could see the advantage of practicing in cooler temps. But wouldn't you lose your heat advantage against northern teams like Green Bay?

The thing is, you have to practice like you play.  It comes down to a matter of the players taking care of their bodies.  If they practice solely in a controlled environment, how are they going to perform in a game in 90+ heat and high humidity?  What about in the rain (which we really need right now)?

It's all about not only proper hydration, but also a proper diet.  My son used to work at a certain establishment that didn't exactly serve "healthy food" and served adult beverages.  He used to talk about players showing up and indulging in not only the adult beverages, but also the unhealthy food.

Put it this way.  If you indulge in a lot of beer on Saturday and chug a lot of Gatorade on Sunday morning, you still are probably not hydrated properly.
Quote:Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes.

The Thirst Mutilator. :-)
The Waterboy has some high quality h2o plus he can suit up in a pinch and record like 7 sacks.
Gatoraaade!!!

Quote: The thing is, you have to practice like you play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI
I'm worried. I had 3 heat strokes myself last night during an intense study session. Can't imagine what it is going to be like in that film room :O