Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Scary story of what i've been going through the last couple of months
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Though i have been keeping up and reading the boards, I've been a little inactive on the boards for the last few months for a couple of medical reasons couple of reasons.

In the beginning of April i was having a few drinks down at Pete's in Atlantic beach, Something i used to do a bit cause i enjoyed the atmosphere and they pour stiff/cheap drinks lol. After leaving that night i went over to one of my buddies house because i was in no condition to drive and he lived around the corner in AB. I was sitting on the couch waiting for my fiance to arrive and pick me up when i began to feel a little light headed. Im 6'3 and a bit skinny at 175lbs so this is something i've felt before and doctors actually said it was due to low blood pressure and is common in tall skinny people lol. normally i take a few deep breathes and stay seated and it passes in a few seconds, but unfortunately this time i decided to stand up and go outside to get some fresh air. my buddies house has a tile stair case inside and when i stood up i immediately passed out and fell down striking the side of my skull on the corner of the tile stair case. the impact shattered the side of my skull above my right ear and began i to bleed out of my nose, ears and mouth. i woke up 5 days later in ICU in baptist down town with no recollection of what day, month, or year it was or how i got there. it was one of the scariest moments of my life. I was in the hospital for two weeks after that and have been going through quite a bit of therapy since. I am still deaf in my right ear because of fluid build up behind my ear drum but that is something doctor expect to come back. i have also lost my sense of taste and smell which could be permanent and the result of a scissoring effect of my nerves cause by sudden shifting and swelling of my brain from the impact.

Head injuries are something that everyone knows are serious and can cause major complications, but regardless of what people tell you, it's hard to completely understand or relate to what people with them are going through. Mine was not the most severe case by any any means but it opened my eyes to how fragile your brain really is and how quickly life can change when you least expect. this is something that has made some of the most rudimentary tasks that i used to do, almost unconsciously, more difficult. i run a pressure washing business which is my no means rocket science, but has all of a sudden became far more difficult than it was before. i received alot of help and support from family and friends and cannot tell you how grateful i am to have a strong backing they have shown me through this whole ordeal. i owe them and the doctors my life. what is actually kind of funny is i used to have dread locks( one of those weird white guys with dreadlocks lol) and the doctors actually said they played a big part in saving my life because of the slight cushion they provided when i fell on the side of my head. when i awoke from my short coma, the fact the doctors had shaved my head was the only thing i was concerned about lol. obviously i was still alittle doped up.

i read this board quite a bit while i was in the hospital and though it was a little difficult to respond and get what i wanted to say out, it was one of the few things that felt like a constant norm that wasn't effected by my accident and i honestly cant tell you how much it actually helped me cope and how much it meant to me. so in a weird way i owe you guys a thanks.

I'll stop my little rant by saying, hold what you love close and never forget to tell you people you care about you love them because you never know what tomorrow can bring. One thing this has taught me is life is very delicate and u have to appreciate the little things. Don't feel sorry for me either because this is something that has made me thankful of every day and has really brought me a new perspective on life. Again thank you guys for being you  :thanks:

What a awful thing to have happened! I'm glad you are on the mend!! :yes:
Glad to hear you are recovering well. Near death experiences definitely influence your future life choices. How long will it take to get the dreads back?

Wow. Glad you're getting back on track.

And in a weird way it brings to light the fact that we should never take head injuries in football, or any sport, lightly. I'll certainly try to remember your ordeal when I see some player take a shot to the head and think - "shake it off and get back in there."

Head injuries are serious stuff. You only have one brain. (well, some of us don't even have that.)

Glad to hear your doing better!
That's crazy. Glad to hear you're doing better, and glad our constant bickering on here helped you feel better lol

Sorry to hear about your accident, thanks for sharing and reminding us all of what is important.

Glad to hear you're doing well.  Keep up the good work!  Smile

Wow, get well soon! [BLEEP] that's nuts

Powerful stuff, good on ya!
Wow, thanks for sharing.

Just goes to show, you never know what's around the corner. Glad you're on the mend.

I was wondering about you! I fell/was dropped on a concrete floor when I was an infant and hit my head. Had to have holes drilled into my skull to relieve pressure. I don't remember any of it, of course, but I always wonder if it's why I don't have a sense of smell.

Thanks for sharing and as someone else said, I'm glad to know our bickering kept you sane. :-)
Thanks for sharing and keep fighting the good fight.
You have reminded us all how ones life can change in the blink of an eye and at any time with no warning at all.

You almost took your screen name, JagsorDie, a bit to literally.

Whoa dude!! Glad you are OK! Really enjoy your posts btw
Glad you are feeling and getting better. That is a scary situation for sure.

How terrifying! Glad to hear you are doing better.
Just saw this thread and wanted to say im glad you are doing better.

I would recommend following up with a neuro or head doctor just to make sure there is no underlying symptoms.

Long story short, a few months ago I  took some advil for what I thought was dizziness and lightheadedness turned out to be a developing brain aneurism.  

Just when I was feeling overwhelming agony due to this hangnail...

Here's hoping your improvement continues on to as complete a recovery as possible.
Quote:Just when I was feeling overwhelming agony due to this hangnail...

Here's hoping your improvement continues on to as complete a recovery as possible.

Hey...hangnails can be brutal! At least they probably gave him painkillers!! :teehee:
Pages: 1 2