Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Stranger Things
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Has anyone else seen this Netflix show? I thought it was a great show. And the acting by Millie Bobby Brown as El/Eleven was phenomenal. For a kid her age she's exceptional.

Also, Netflix announced season two of Making A Murderer which starts right where season one ended with Dassey awaiting a new trial and Avery trying to get out of prison from what I gather.
I actually came here to make a thread about it until I saw one was already made. I'm halfway through and am going to finish it either tonight or tomorrow. Great show and a great homage to the various 80s movies it's based off of. I agree with about the acting. The child actors could really make or break the series and all the kids do a great job.

Quote:I actually came here to make a thread about it until I saw one was already made. I'm halfway through and am going to finish it either tonight or tomorrow. Great show and a great homage to the various 80s movies it's based off of. I agree with about the acting. The child actors could really make or break the series and all the kids do a great job.

I loved the 80's vibe. I was 11 years old in 1983 and totally remember many of the things they showed.

Also. The toothless kid was pretty smart and reminded me a bit of Corey Feldman characters. I also liked the character development of the sheriff while Winona's character drove me nuts. But I not a mom so.....
Americus we have similiar tastes in shows. I'm enjoying Stranger Things if nothing more than the nostalgia of being an 80's kid. The little kid actors are sensational! Pretty fun story so far and moving fast because it's a short series. 

Thumbs up!

Edit: What, that lil girl is named Millie Bobby Brown?!?! She's a greattttt little actor.

Finished it last week, was great, would've loved a longer season though (nothing overboard just 2 additional episodes to maybe hash out parts of the story that weren't really explained). 

I've been recommending this show to all of my friends. As a proud D&D nerd since the 80s, the beginning alone had me hooked. I specifically remember the fear of Demogorgon which has persisted through every incarnation of the game (now currently on its 5th, if you discount Pathfinder).

I wholeheartedly agree with you about Millie Bobbie Brown. That girl killed it although I could never quite reconcile how someone's parents could be so incredibly dense.

Quote:Americus we have similiar tastes in shows. I'm enjoying Stranger Things if nothing more than the nostalgia of being an 80's kid. The little kid actors are sensational! Pretty fun story so far and moving fast because it's a short series. 

Thumbs up!

Edit: What, that lil girl is named Millie Bobby Brown?!?! She's a greattttt little actor.
She really is! If you can, catch her on the NCIS episode Parental Guidance Suggested. Season 12 Episode 6. I looked her up on IMDB to see what else I could catch her in because she totally blew me away on Stranger Things.  
I have watched 1 episode so far (Sunday night), and am really looking forward as to how this will develop! Great Intro!

Phenomenal show. Netflix is really on a roll. This is what Super 8 could have been. They are already strong rumors of a second season as well there should be. 

As a side note this is just a wonderful time to be alive for story telling. I like that TV, in various release formats, is showing it can not only stand toe to toe with the big screen stories but in a lot of ways completely outclass them.

Quote:Phenomenal show. Netflix is really on a roll. This is what Super 8 could have been. They are already strong rumors of a second season as well there should be. 

As a side note this is just a wonderful time to be alive for story telling. I like that TV, in various release formats, is showing it can not only stand toe to toe with the big screen stories but in a lot of ways completely outclass them.
There are certain stories that can only be told in a series/miniseries format. Could you imagine Band of Brothers being a movie? No. It needed the 10 episodes to tell the story. Same with Generation Kill. Making of a Murderer anyone? These were real life stories and were done justice by the format they were made in.

Daredevil and Jessica Jones also benefited in a way the big screen wouldn't have allowed. These shows being on Netflix instead of network or regular cable channels like AMC or whatever also made them much better. Too bad Arrow and The Flash are on CW. I like Arrow for the most part but it has suffered as of late and I haven't even seen last season yet- waiting on Netflix to roll it out. The Flash, I watched one show and was like......no. And now after having seen Daredevil and JJ on Netflix it makes it harder to watch Arrow.

Obviously shows like Blue Bloods and NCIS and similar shows are fine for network, and Justified and TWD work for regular cable channels and that's great. But there's something to be said about these original programs Netflix and Amazon are putting out that flourish in those formats. Actually, I would love to see what Netflix could do with TWD. They picked up Longmire and The Killing when those shows were dropped and were better for it outside of the language added to The Killing which I felt took away from the show. 

Oh, and I liked Super 8 and think it could have been a great Netflix series.
I 'cut the cord' with cable several months ago and rarely miss it. I've got apple TV to house everything in once place. I pay for HBO and Netflix, bout a HD antenna for football, etc. and that's kept me totally entertained.

Netflix has really found it's groove with pumping out quality shows that's for sure.
Quote:There are certain stories that can only be told in a series/miniseries format. Could you imagine Band of Brothers being a movie? No. It needed the 10 episodes to tell the story. Same with Generation Kill. Making of a Murderer anyone? These were real life stories and were done justice by the format they were made in.

Daredevil and Jessica Jones also benefited in a way the big screen wouldn't have allowed. These shows being on Netflix instead of network or regular cable channels like AMC or whatever also made them much better. Too bad Arrow and The Flash are on CW. I like Arrow for the most part but it has suffered as of late and I haven't even seen last season yet- waiting on Netflix to roll it out. The Flash, I watched one show and was like......no. And now after having seen Daredevil and JJ on Netflix it makes it harder to watch Arrow.

Obviously shows like Blue Bloods and NCIS and similar shows are fine for network, and Justified and TWD work for regular cable channels and that's great. But there's something to be said about these original programs Netflix and Amazon are putting out that flourish in those formats. Actually, I would love to see what Netflix could do with TWD. They picked up Longmire and The Killing when those shows were dropped and were better for it outside of the language added to The Killing which I felt took away from the show. 

I'd imagine twd would have shorter seasons...which would be an excellent start, I think the show would be better suited with 10ish episodes a season. 
Quote:There are certain stories that can only be told in a series/miniseries format. Could you imagine Band of Brothers being a movie? No. It needed the 10 episodes to tell the story. Same with Generation Kill. Making of a Murderer anyone? These were real life stories and were done justice by the format they were made in.

The nature of TV just allows for more character development which is what most movies lack. I don't expect great story telling or character development from movies... So very few can pull it off (starwars, pulp fiction, etc..). I do however expect spectacle and at that TV just can't compare. 

Quote:I'd imagine twd would have shorter seasons...which would be an excellent start, I think the show would be better suited with 10ish episodes a season. 
A lot of shows would do better with shorter seasons. Arrow is definitely one of them. I have not seen the most recent seasons but I feel like TWD does pretty well with the number episodes it airs. I've pretty much given up on arrow and a lot of the reason is the nonsense they do because they have to fill out so many episodes. Heck even JJ and Daredevil could have done with like 2 episodes less IMO.

Stranger things at 8 episodes just felt perfect. 

Quote:Has anyone else seen this Netflix show? I thought it was a great show. And the acting by Millie Bobby Brown as El/Eleven was phenomenal. For a kid her age she's exceptional.

Also, Netflix announced season two of Making A Murderer which starts right where season one ended with Dassey awaiting a new trial and Avery trying to get out of prison from what I gather.

Huge thank you for informing me of this series.. Watched the first episode yesterday after reading this thread and now I'm hooked.. Great series..
Quote:Huge thank you for informing me of this series.. Watched the first episode yesterday after reading this thread and now I'm hooked.. Great series..

You're welcome! I see myself watching it again very soon.
Quote:I 'cut the cord' with cable several months ago and rarely miss it. I've got apple TV to house everything in once place. I pay for HBO and Netflix, bout a HD antenna for football, etc. and that's kept me totally entertained.

Netflix has really found it's groove with pumping out quality shows that's for sure.

Sadly we live in a very hilly area and not close to any stations so an antenna doesn't work for us.
We binged it over the weekend. I love it. It hit every single note from the 80's you'd want to see. It had the young kid group of mischief like the Goonies. The syfy element. The overachieving cop. The Breakfast Club type outcast of young teens. And then it had the nerdy element stuff. Well done for just eight episodes. Winona Ryder did an awesome job. She was very convincing as the mother struggling with reality and her family. And Hopper who I think is played by that guy from The Strain? He was awesome too. 

Along with bojack season 3 this show was very good and well done throughout.  Probably my favorite horror/scifi mix I've ever seen.  Everyone on reddit calls the cop officer onepunch.  Very happy with the 8 episodes and leaving it open for future seasons.

Quote:I 'cut the cord' with cable several months ago and rarely miss it. I've got apple TV to house everything in once place. I pay for HBO and Netflix, bout a HD antenna for football, etc. and that's kept me totally entertained.

We currently have a family of 4 with 6 TVs the full Xfinity package and Netflix.  Total cost is ~ $300/month.   THAT SAID, we have 1 kid going off to college in 2 days and another departing in ~ 2 years.  I could really see myself buying the basic cable package ($50/mth) for general news & stuff and living off of netflix for movies and their docu-dramas.   I agree, Netflix has really stepped it up !!
Quote:We currently have a family of 4 with 6 TVs the full Xfinity package and Netflix.  Total cost is ~ $300/month.   THAT SAID, we have 1 kid going off to college in 2 days and another departing in ~ 2 years.  I could really see myself buying the basic cable package ($50/mth) for general news & stuff and living off of netflix for movies and their docu-dramas.   I agree, Netflix has really stepped it up !!
I miss certain cable shows, but there's not much you can't find these days via internet. Apple TV offers a lot of free programming for local and even cable channels as well. Comcast was just getting too expensive and when they changed their platform to the improved X1, we had more outages than ever! Not sure what the problem was, but we had techs out at our home constatnly. This was pretty much the final straw and though, lets give it a go. I thought we'd miss it more, but we really don't. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4