Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Does the AFC South field the best receivers...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are some good ones.

The top 12 in the AFC S look something like this...

DeAndre Hopkins

Allen Robinson

TY Hilton

Allen Hurns

Dante Moncrief

Kendall Wright

Rashad Greene

Will Fuller

Phillip Dorsett

Cecil Shorts III

Harry Douglas

Dorial Green-Beckham

We'll have to wait and see if the Marqise can crack this list.

The AFC W top 12 look like...

Demaryius Thomas

Jeremy Maclin

Amari Cooper

Emmanuel Sanders

Keenan Allen

Michael Crabtree

Travis Benjamin

Chris Conley

Seth Roberts

Stevie Johnson

Albert Wilson

Dontrelle Inman

The top 12 WRs in the AFC E look like...

Brandon Marshall

Sammy Watkins

Eric Decker

Jarvis Landry

Julian Edelman

Danny Amendola

Robert Woods

DeVante Parker

Nate Washington

Chris Hogan

Kenny Stills

Marquise Goodwin

In the AFC N we're looking at...

Antonio Brown

AJ Green

Steve Smith

Corey Coleman

Kamar Aiken

Brandon LaFell

Markus Wheaton

Mike Wallace

Breshad Perriman

Brandon Tate

Darius Heyward-Bey

Andrew Hawkins

I meant to look at the entire league, but due to time restraints I'll have to settle for just looking at the AFC.

Quote:There are some good ones.

DeAndre Hopkins

Allen Robinson

TY Hilton

Allen Hurns

Dante Moncrief

Kendall Wright

Rashad Greene

Will Fuller

Phillip Dorsett

Cecil Shorts III

Harry Douglas

Dorial Green-Beckham

Demaryius Thomas

Jeremy Maclin

Amari Cooper

Emmanuel Sanders

Keenan Allen

Michael Crabtree

Travis Benjamin

Chris Conley

Seth Roberts

Stevie Johnson

Albert Wilson

Dontrelle Inman

Brandon Marshall

Sammy Watkins

Eric Decker

Jarvis Landry

Julian Edelman

Danny Amendola

Robert Woods

DeVante Parker

Nate Washington

Chris Hogan

Kenny Stills

Marquise Goodwin

Antonio Brown

AJ Green

Steve Smith

Corey Coleman

Kamar Aiken

Brandon LaFell

Markus Wheaton

Mike Wallace

Breshad Perriman

Brandon Tate

Darius Heyward-Bey

Andrew Hawkins

I meant to look at the entire league, but due to time restraints I'll have to settle for just looking at the AFC.

The AFCW isn't bad, either, but I'd say the south is definitely better than the north and east. It's also interesting that within a few years it's likely that the south also has the best two QBs in the AFC if Luck returns to his earlier form and starts progressing and Bortles continues to build on his severely underrated 2015 effort.
The argument could certainly be made that the south leads the AFC in receiver talent with the west being a close second. 

If Moncrief and Dorsett have breakout performances it would likely seal the deal. 

Quote:The argument could certainly be made that the south leads the AFC in receiver talent with the west being a close second. 

If Moncrief and Dorsett have breakout performances it would likely seal the deal. 

I am hoping they have the opposite of breakout performances. Tough for them to even try when their QB likes to throw ducks to the defenders anyway. 
Quote:The AFCW isn't bad, either, but I'd say the south is definitely better than the north and east. It's also interesting that within a few years it's likely that the south also has the best two QBs in the AFC if Luck returns to his earlier form and starts progressing and Bortles continues to build on his severely underrated 2015 effort.

The AFC North was considerably weakened with the Bengals losing Muhammad Sanu and Marvin Jones. I don't see where they've come close to making up for their losses, and for that matter I sort of see the Bengals offense taking a step back this season.

I'll start looking at the top 12 WRs of NFC teams...

NFC W...

Michael Floyd

Larry Fitzgerald

Doug Baldwin

Kenny Britt

Torrey Smith

Jermaine Kearse

John Brown

Tavon Austin

Tyler Lockett

Bruce Ellington

JJ Nelson

Brian Quick

NFC N...

Jordy Nelson

Alshon Jeffrey

Randall Cobb

Golden Tate

Stefon Diggs

Kevin White

Marvin Jones

Eddie Royal

Laquon Treadwell

Cordarelle Patterson

TJ Jones

Davonte Adams

Quote:The AFC North was considerably weakened with the Bengals losing Muhammad Sanu and Marvin Jones. I don't see where they've come close to making up for their losses, and for that matter I sort of see the Bengals offense taking a step back this season.

I like their choice of Tyler Boyd in the second, but yes, I think they may take a small step back in passing production. 
Quote:There are some good ones.

DeAndre Hopkins

Allen Robinson

TY Hilton

Allen Hurns

Dante Moncrief

Kendall Wright

Rashad Greene

Will Fuller

Phillip Dorsett

Cecil Shorts III

Harry Douglas

Dorial Green-Beckham

Demaryius Thomas

Jeremy Maclin

Amari Cooper

Emmanuel Sanders

Keenan Allen

Michael Crabtree

Travis Benjamin

Chris Conley

Seth Roberts

Stevie Johnson

Albert Wilson

Dontrelle Inman

Brandon Marshall

Sammy Watkins

Eric Decker

Jarvis Landry

Julian Edelman

Danny Amendola

Robert Woods

DeVante Parker

Nate Washington

Chris Hogan

Kenny Stills

Marquise Goodwin

Antonio Brown

AJ Green

Steve Smith

Corey Coleman

Kamar Aiken

Brandon LaFell

Markus Wheaton

Mike Wallace

Breshad Perriman

Brandon Tate

Darius Heyward-Bey

Andrew Hawkins

This is a fun topic. Out of these four divisions. I'd rank them this way. 

1. AFC North - A.J Green and Antonio Brown are easily two of the best receivers not just in the AFC. But in the NFL in general. You could honestly say that Antonio Brown is probably the best receiver. Maybe splitting hairs with Julio Jones. And then I could see A.J Green being a top five receiver in the NFL. And easily a top three in the AFC. 

2. AFC West - Collectively. Demaryius Thomas, Keenan Allen, Amari Cooper, Jeremy Maclin & Emmanuel Sanders are probably the most promising after the 2015 season finished. Now with the QB situation changing in Denver though I am not sure how their production will look and translate at the end of 2016. But there is a lot of productivity between Cooper, Allen and Maclin there out West. 

3. AFC South - Between Robinson and Hopkins. It's a good division. I just think that's it. You can look at Hurns next. He's kind of like a poor man's A.J Green when you really look at his build and lankiness. But the reason I couldn't rank them ahead of the North is because I feel they still have a little bit more to prove before I can place them ahead of the likes of Antonio Brown and A.J Green. Same reason I couldn't place them ahead of the West. I think Thomas and Sanders are really good. And then there is too much depth between Allen, Cooper and Maclin for me to feel comfortable over the depth in this division. 

4. AFC East - I don't believe in Julian Edleman and Danny Amendola without Tom Brady. And it's mostly Rob Gronkowski who leads the aerial assault. So I have to peg them down a notch. Now, duo wise. Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker were pretty solid last year. Jarvis Landry is solid as well. But I think you can't rank this division ahead of Robinson and Hopkins who are more physical and explosive and are recent pro-bowlers. And I think when Hurns is brought into the conversation plus T.Y Hilton with a healthy Andrew Luck. I just can't give the edge away to the East here. And, again, the Jets QB situation is on the rocks right now. That's going to hurt Marshall and Decker to some degree. And I don't quite get all the love and hype just yet for Sammy Watkins in Buffalo. He's fast. But he's not showing me the ability to stay healthy and he's not showing me the gaudy numbers I see from guys in his age group. 

Great response Caldrac. I hear what you're saying about the AFC N, but they seem rather lacking overall after Antonio and AJ.

I'll finish up on the NFC here, and maybe you can chime in on those four divisions as well. I did the NFC W and N above, so here's the last two divisions...

NFC S

Julio Jones

Vincent Jackson

Kelvin Benjamin

Brandin Cooks

Tedd Ginn, Jr

Mike Evans

Michael Thomas

Willie Snead

Mohamed Sanu

Devin Funchess

Brandon Coleman

Corey Brown

NFC E...

Dez Bryant

Odell  Beckham Jr

Pierre Garcon

Jordan Matthews

DeSean Jackson

Terrance Williams

Nelson Agholor

Josh Doctson

Sterling Shepard

Rueben Randle

Cole Beasley

Jamison Crowder

Quote:Great response Caldrac. I hear what you're saying about the AFC N, but they seem rather lacking overall after Antonio and AJ.

I'll finish up on the NFC here, and maybe you can chime in on those four divisions as well. I did the NFC W and N above, so here's the last two divisions...

NFC S

Julio Jones

Vincent Jackson

Kelvin Benjamin

Brandin Cooks

Tedd Ginn, Jr

Mike Evans

Michael Thomas

Willie Snead

Mohamed Sanu

Devin Funchess

Brandon Coleman

Corey Brown

NFC E...

Dez Bryant

Odell  Beckham Jr

Pierre Garcon

Jordan Matthews

DeSean Jackson

Terrance Williams

Nelson Agholor

Josh Doctson

Sterling Shepard

Rueben Randle

Cole Beasley

Jamison Crowder

Out of these two. I'll take the NFC South. I know a lot of people hype up ODB and Dez. But I personally like Julio Jones more than those two receivers. I think Vincent Jackson is criminally underrated. And if you go back and look at his statistics from 2011 - 2014 he's been a pretty consistent receiver for the Buccaneers with two pro-bowl showings. 2015 was cut short due to injuries though. But he could return to his normal form this year. Kelvin Benjamin is another kid, that, had he not been injured. He could have honestly been the difference between Carolina winning a Superbowl back in February against Denver. He had an impressive rookie showing. And he has the size and strength to climb the air and get after the football. Then you have guys like Brandin Cooks and Mike Evans. Two very young and talented receivers putting up stout numbers. Cooks can take the top off any defense. He's the kind of receiver you'd hope to see our Marquise Lee become. And Evans is quietly becoming the go-to man for Winston down there in Tampa. Then we finish up with guys like Ginn Jr. and Sanu. Ginn proved he could be a deep threat last year in Carolina. I think his role will become even easier with Benjamin back in the fold. I've always liked Sanu with the Bengals. We'll see how he fairs in Atlanta. He's essentially taking the role Roddy White had which is your typical 10 - 15 yard route tree with solid hands to move the chains. He should be an excellent compliment to Jones up there.

In the NFC East. ODB and Bryant are very talented. You could argue that ODB is the number one receiver in the NFL. But I don't like him as much as I like Antonio Brown and Julio Jones. That's just my personal take on him. He's a bit of a diva. A hot head at times too. But he's still an explosive player nonetheless. Bryant is a redzone threat when he's healthy but he needs Romo to stay healthy in order to be successful. He could return to his 2013 - 2014 form soon enough. But outside of those two. Unlike the AFC North. Where I legitimately feel comfortable with Antonio Brown and AJ Green and the depth in that division with Steve Smith Sr. and Martavius Bryant, etc. I don't feel the same about the East. I don't like Jackson and Garcon in Washington. Neither of them can hold up physically. Beasley is a slot type receiver who is very hot and cold in Dallas. Williams isn't capable of carrying the team when Bryant is out. We saw that last year. It just doesn't seem like a very stocked division anymore.

Quote:I'll start looking at the top 12 WRs of NFC teams...

NFC W...

Michael Floyd

Larry Fitzgerald

Doug Baldwin

Kenny Britt

Torrey Smith

Jermaine Kearse

John Brown

Tavon Austin

Tyler Lockett

Bruce Ellington

JJ Nelson

Brian Quick

NFC N...

Jordy Nelson

Alshon Jeffrey

Randall Cobb

Golden Tate

Stefon Diggs

Kevin White

Marvin Jones

Eddie Royal

Laquon Treadwell

Cordarelle Patterson

TJ Jones

Davonte Adams

I like the NFC West over the NFC North here. I think Arizona has the BEST overall receiving core in the NFL. Between FItzgerald, Floyd and Brown. They were very impressive last year. Doug Baldwin came on very strong for Seattle as well. Proving that he can be a weekly reliability for Wilson. Him and Hurns were exchanging the lead league in TD receptions at one point towards the end of last season. Then we start getting into players like Tavon Austin and Torrey Smith. Tavon is more of a utility player that does in a lot in the receiving, rushing and special teams game. I think he's one of the few players in the NFL that's actually utilized properly as an overall athlete. Torrey hasn't really ever been a truly dominate threat. He was serviceable in Baltimore for a few years but mostly played 2nd fiddle to guys like Boldin and Smith Sr. Depending on the QB situation with the 49ERS and Chip Kelly's offense. Smith could be poised to have his best season yet as an NFL receiver. Lockett had a respectable rookie season run as well with the Seahawks last year. So he could either continue to build on that or maybe feed off Baldwin's production a bit in 2016.

In the NFC North. They took a huge hit with the retirement of Calvin Johnson Jr. But it still has huge upside with a returning Jordy Nelson and a returning Alshon Jeffrey. I still remember being upset when we didn't take Jeffrey in 2012. I really wanted to see Gene Smith double down on receiver that year for Gabbert by pairing him up with Blackmon. If you look at Jeffrey's numbers from 2013 - 2014 and even last year. Last year he only played eight games due to injury but was already at 800 yards receiving. He was well on his way to either matching or surpassing his 2013 season. But that's about it for me. Once you get past Nelson and Jeffrey, two big receivers coming off of injuries. I don't feel comfortable with what Detroit and Minnesota has at receiver. Too much inexperience and relatively unknowns with the rookies at the moment. Diggs has potential. Golden Tate had a huge 2014 season, but his numbers dipped almost in half in 2015. And without Calvin Johnson Jr. there I just don't know if he's going to be able to shoulder the load. I think he'll go back to being who he was in Seattle which puts him in that typical 600 - 800 yard receiving range. He's a talented receiver. He's always come off to me as a shorter Anquan Boldin with the physicality you like to see in a receiver. But he lacks the Steve Smith Sr. speed and burst off the line of scrimmage that you need to see in a receiver that's at his size to be considered a legitimate stand alone number one receiver. Nearly forgot about Randall Cobb. Cobb is another receiver that can make you pay. He did a good job carrying the offense in a bit with Nelson out. His job gets easier with Nelson back. But I still think Arizona's trio and Seattle's potential with Baldwin and Lockett surpass the North with all of the youth and guys coming back from injury in 2016.

Good write up, everyone.  I was going to write something along the lines of what a lot of you said.  Outside of maybe Pittsburgh and Arizona I would take our receivers over the rest of the league.

Quote:...Unlike the AFC North. Where I legitimately feel comfortable with Antonio Brown and AJ Green and the depth in that division with Steve Smith Sr. and Martavius Bryant, etc. I don't feel the same about the East.

You may have noticed I left out Martavis Bryant. This is because he's suspended for the season.

Quote:You may have noticed I left out Martavis Bryant. This is because he's suspended for the season.

Bummer. But, we've got an "AHA!" moment!. Josh Gordon might be back in the fold baby! Just hope he lays off the sticky icky this time..... 
Quote:The AFC North was considerably weakened with the Bengals losing Muhammad Sanu and Marvin Jones. I don't see where they've come close to making up for their losses, and for that matter I sort of see the Bengals offense taking a step back this season.
Agreed.