Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Coaching or Roster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everyone always disses Gus and it's well warranted, Or is it? If you like our Offense then I am interested in knowing do you like the players on Offense, or the Coaching staff teaching and calling plays for the players to perform and do better? I ask, because you can't claim you hate the CEO, who hires everyone's supervisor, who then hire and train employees and then say the company has promising young talent but needs a change at the top. If so, a harsh reality check is needed IMO. The players are excused when growth is seen by their age and lack of experience yet the coach should excel out the gate and win Division Champ., SBs, etc. I'm not blind to Gus' failures so far, but feel I'm way more optimistic with a vastly improved roster and previous years stats that prove he learns from his mistakes like anyone else. I feel if he gets 8 to 10 Wins, instead of praising the player's improvement and giving Gus a pass, you should refrain from management opinions for 30days. If right then so be it; if not, see above.
First you need the talent then a good staff to build something that works for their unique skills. Our Offensive staff knows this..... our D... idk yet.
To be honest i more so like the players on offense more then the staff .. I believe both still can use some improvement.. And i expect they will improve more, having another year under their belt..

And in the days of the nfl now,players are not excused often. Now a days players have to perform. Rookies are called upon early to make plays... And if they cant do it someone else will..

If the jags make it to 8-10 wins, trust me Gus will get credit for it.. I think Caldwell will get even more credit for constructing the team as well.. But personally i feel its not about the number of wins... Its about making the playoffs.. I believe Khan expects to be in the playoffs this year no excuses.. And if we dont reach that mark, then he will bring in somebody that can help us get there..
Quote:To be honest i more so like the players on offense more then the staff .. I believe both still can use some improvement.. And i expect they will improve more, having another year under their belt..

And in the days of the nfl now,players are not excused often. Now a days players have to perform. Rookies are called upon early to make plays... And if they cant do it someone else will..

If the jags make it to 8-10 wins, trust me Gus will get credit for it.. I think Caldwell will get even more credit for constructing the team as well.. But personally i feel its not about the number of wins... Its about making the playoffs.. I believe Khan expects to be in the playoffs this year no excuses.. And if we dont reach that mark, then he will bring in somebody that can help us get there..

Agree with all points made here.
A team needs both talented players and a good staff.

In the case of the Jags, the offensive coaching is good, and the skill players are talented. The OL was a weak point last year, but the team was still above average in points scored. The results should (should!) be better this year with the young players having another year of experience and a second year in the offense. Typically the head coach doesn't have a lot of input on the side where his expertise isn't, so it's important to hire strong coaches who can run that side of the team. This seems to be the case with the Jags.

The problem last year was the defense. While the Jags didn't have a lot of talent there, they weren't 31st in defensive talent. Babich was fired, but there were no new hires and the rest of the staff was kept intact. I haven't read how much direct input Bradley had on the defense. Of course, the basic design of the defense was his decision, and there was no attempt at adjustment when it became obvious that we didn't have the players to run that defense. I wonder how much freedom Wash will be given in running the defense.

With the talent upgrade on defense and a new DC, presumably the defense should improve a lot.
 Even without the upgrade it would be tough for Wash to do worse than Babich. If the defense improves it will also be an argument as to how much was talent, and how much was coaching. 

I'm also thinking that the DB coach needs to be replaced. None of the young DBs 
(Cyprien, Gratz, Evans, McCray, Colvin) have developed. Maybe it's the players, but all five? Odds are it's coaching.

Both.  But winning depends more upon talent than coaching.

A great coach can't win with a trash roster, but a trash coach can win with a great roster. 

80/20

Ace the talent, fail the coaching, and the best you'll get is 80% of what you need.

Fail the talent, ace the coaching, and you're only 20% of where you need to be.

You can have success, but not championships, without top notch coaching.

You cannot have success without talent no matter how well coached.

At the professional level, talent trumps coaching in pretty much every sport.

Could we have better coaching? yes. Would those coaches work better with our plan? That I do not know. 

It's hard to really grade this in my opinion. But at the end of the day. It's honestly a combination of both. The most recent or modern example that I can think of is Jon Gruden and Tony Dungy. 

Dungy built a superb defense in Tampa Bay before he was fired. The only knock was that he didn't have enough juice on offense to balance the team out. In comes Jon Gruden. The man who put Oakland's offense on the map for a few years in the early 2000s and he does the same thing essentially with an older cast of outcast offensive players from other teams. And he wins a Superbowl title. 

Mora built a nice offense in Indianapolis before he was fired. The only knock was that he didn't have enough juice on defense to balance the team out. In comes Tony Dungy. The man who built the Tampa Bay defense into a bulldozer and put them on the map on that side of the football before his stint ended. He goes there and slowly rebuilds and changes the mentality on that defense and they're able to combine it with a tidal wave of an offense led by Manning into their Superbowl title. 

You could also go back around that same time frame or era. And you can look at a coach like Bill Parcells. Who was known for inheriting dumpster fire teams and turning them around within a year or two into a competent and competitive play-off caliber football team. So it really does go both ways. Bill Belicheck in New England is another coach that comes to mind. You look at what he did in Cleveland before the huge move to Baltimore and he actually had the Browns competing in the AFC Central at that time with a wide variety of players on his roster. 

Tom Coughlin also comes to mind as well. Inherited a brand spanking new franchise and had them running and firing on all cylinders for a good four year stretch with a mixed bag of players. He goes to New York. And he takes the Giants to two Superbowls and topples Giant outputting offenses that New England possessed during those two years. Andy Reid also comes to mind as well with what he's done in Kansas City with the Chiefs. 

The only reasonable response is, time will tell. That's it and that's all.