Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who Is Getting Sacks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Whose it gonna be? Who ya got as the top 5 sack-getters of '16?

I gotz:

5. Colvin - 3.5

4. Odrick - 4.5

3. Ngakoue - 6

2. Fowler - 8.5

1. Jackson - 10
I have it pretty close.   But, put That Rookie at 5, and put Marks in the 3 spot.

Is there something I don't know about Marks or did you forget he was on the team?

I would insert Marks at 3 also, but outside of that the list seems accurate imo.

In no order,

1. Jackson

2. Fowler

3. Marks

4. Odrick

5. Colvin
I think ya'll are expecting too many sacks from Jackson. I know Marks piled them a few years back, but DT's getting 10 is by far the exception. I sort of think this question doesn't really matter, I know we also talk about singular talents who are in the league leaders, but if there are like 6  guys with between 4 and 7 sacks then the unit would likely be playing well together and producing. Lastly, sacks are overrated. Two years ago, Jags had an average amount of sacks, but virtually no additional pressures. It is the pressures and decreasing pocket time that is most important. 

Any defensive players that gets to the QB.
^^^ I was thinking the same thing, who ever gets there first and gets him on the ground.

No way Jackson gets 10,prob around 5 or 6.
What about Werner?

Odrick - 4

Miller - 1.5

Jackson -8

Marks - 6.5

Fowler - 8

Ngakoue - 5

Various DBs (colvin,ramsey,Cyp) - 5

Various LBs - (Davis,Skuta,Jack,Poz) -5

(total- 43)

Publix

But seriously... it would be a big disappointment if not Fowler at the top.

Some high #s for Jackson though, he's more so a disruptor which will allow the DEs and moving tackles to get the #s.
Quote:Some high #s for Jackson though, he's more so a disruptor which will allow the DEs and moving tackles to get the #s.

True in theory...

...but if you look at the sack production Marks was getting in this scheme at 3T (8.5 sacks in 2014)  and then consider that will often be Jackson's role, you can see the feasibility of him getting 7 or 8 sacks on the season. 
Fowler 10 (4 in last 3 games)

Marks 6.5

Jackson 5.5

Ngakoue 4

Oldrick 3
I hear you mate, but Marks was the best pass rusher in 2014, though from the middle (Clem got some #s too but was in decline). Jackson won't necessarily have the onus of garnering sacks with some viable options outside in Fowler, Ngakoue, Odrick, etc.
Quote:Some high #s for Jackson though, he's more so a disruptor which will allow the DEs and moving tackles to get the #s.

Quote:I hear you mate, but Marks was the best pass rusher in 2014, though from the middle (Clem got some #s too but was in decline). Jackson won't necessarily have the onus of garnering sacks with some viable options outside in Fowler, Ngakoue, Odrick, etc.

Disagree. I don't see Jackson's role being that of a disrupter. I think they are going to let him loose as a pass rushing 3T.

They may let him loose but the sacks have to go around High Score. A few more options on hand now than when Marks got his 8.5. That's my underlying point.
Quote:I hear you mate, but Marks was the best pass rusher in 2014, though from the middle (Clem got some #s too but was in decline). Jackson won't necessarily have the onus of garnering sacks with some viable options outside in Fowler, Ngakoue, Odrick, etc.

I think if Marks was able to gather 8.5 sacks in 2014 in the same scheme, Jackson should get a similar (or larger) number from the same spot in 2016. 

Other "Viable options" make no difference in my mind. Fowler and Ngakoue will benefit from Jackson flushing the QB their way at times, but I've considered that and the numbers I predicted for them reflect that.

More importantly - the nature of the blitzing 3 tech position makes for a very quick sack many times. The players from the edge can't get there as quickly as a DT beating a guard. Good examples in this vid between :30-:50  -  http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...2e08f05033
Malik won't lead the team in sacks. I bet he ends up with like 6, but still play like a beast.
Quote:I think ya'll are expecting too many sacks from Jackson.
I know Marks piled them a few years back, but DT's getting 10 is by far the exception. I sort of think this question doesn't really matter, I know we also talk about singular talents who are in the league leaders, but if there are like 6  guys with between 4 and 7 sacks then the unit would likely be playing well together and producing. Lastly, sacks are overrated. Two years ago, Jags had an average amount of sacks, but virtually no additional pressures. It is the pressures and decreasing pocket time that is most important. 

Agreed, he's talented but not that kind of player.  If he get's 5 or 6 and clogs up the middle and is a force on running plays, I will be happy.  The big impact will be that he ties up the inside so tackles on the outside will have to go one on one with Fowler and the DEs.
Pages: 1 2 3