Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How important is Blake Bortles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Let's take a hypothetical scenario where Blake Bortles gets injured (God forbid) and has to miss the rest of the season. Would the offense still be able to have the same amount of success that it had this past season with somebody like Chad Henne or Brandon Allen at the helm? Would you say that Bortles owes much of his early success to having great talent around him or vice-versa? Would it be fair to say that we could virtually plug in any other QB to come in here and have similar success due to Olson's system and the amount of talent that he would be surrounded with?

Blake Bortles is vital for the immediate and long term success of this franchise.
Just the same as any franchise QB if they go down. It's why it's important to have a capable back-up.

We have the 6th rd wunderkind to save us.
Stoppit. If Bortles goes down we get stuck with Bradley for another year.
Quote:Let's take a hypothetical scenario where Blake Bortles gets injured (God forbid) and has to miss the rest of the season. Would the offense still be able to have the same amount of success that it had this past season with somebody like Chad Henne or Brandon Allen at the helm? Would you say that Bortles owes much of his early success to having great talent around him or vice-versa? Would it be fair to say that we could virtually plug in any other QB to come in here and have similar success due to Olson's system and the amount of talent that he would be surrounded with?

You answered your own question with that statement. You don't use god forbid of bad qbs.
id say bortles owes a lot of success to the talent around him, namely the allens, but you cant just plug anyone in and work, it requires a certain degree of talent to meet the allens half way.

Henne and Allen would be a disaster
Quote:id say bortles owes a lot of success to the talent around him, namely the allens, but you cant just plug anyone in and work, it requires a certain degree of talent to meet the allens half way.

U R funny
Quote:id say bortles owes a lot of success to the talent around him, namely the allens, but you cant just plug anyone in and work, it requires a certain degree of talent to meet the allens half way.

I think the allens owes alot of their success to him
He's your franchise QB. This is like asking "How important is the Sun to life's existence?" or "Is water really all that important to also sustain life on Earth as well?".

C'mon man!

The QB of ANY team is the primary cog piece in a very complex wheel. He's the single key player that directly touches and handles the football anywhere between 500 - 1000 times per year when you factor in pass attempts and hand-offs or QB keepers. He's vital to the team. Extremely vital.

Asking how important Blake Bortles is really just depends on what you need him for.

For example, if you're having a medical emergency and you call 911 and he turns up instead of the ambulance, yeah... he's not very important.

But.. as QB for the Jacksonville Jaguars, he's very very important.

One of my friends likes to poke fun at BB, he even went as far as to say 'Blake Bortles is the worst QB in NFL history!'

I think the depth of his knowledge of the NFL comes from Ace Ventura Pet Detective, though.

Very important.

I certainly think that Bortles owes a lot of his success to the Allens. I have to think though that Bortles has helped the Allens via his scrambling ability to keep plays alive. I respect Chad Henne for the pro he is, but Chad isn't that much of a scrambler. Given our porous offensive line, the ability of the QB to scramble is critical for this offense to have any chance at all.

We've seen it here before; Chad comes in and we can't effectively pass the ball down field for more than a few yards at a time. We become one dimensional on the offense as a result and have to rely almost completely on the run game. As a result the opponents defense 'stacks the box' and we come away with less than 10 points a game. Result: we lose.

Our defense 'should' be much improved this season with the acquisitions we've gotten. But the team still has to score points and without Bortles that becomes a difficult proposition. That's just the way it is. 
The Jags went 5-11 with Bortles at QB against very weak opposition. Without him it's probably 2-14. Until we get a head coach who knows what he's doing, it really doesn't matter much.

Quote:Until we get a head coach who knows what he's doing, it really doesn't matter much.
[Image: Cutest-Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF.gif]

Quote:He's your franchise QB. This is like asking "How important is the Sun to life's existence?" or "Is water really all that important to also sustain life on Earth as well?".

C'mon man!

The QB of ANY team is the primary cog piece in a very complex wheel. He's the single key player that directly touches and handles the football anywhere between 500 - 1000 times per year when you factor in pass attempts and hand-offs or QB keepers. He's vital to the team. Extremely vital.
To clarify, I'm not saying that BB5 isn't vital or unimportant, clearly he's the best QB on the team. I'm just wondering whether or not our team could survive without him. Think back to when David Garrard got hurt in 2007 and we had to rely on Quinn Gray for a few games.

Good ole Quinn Gray, he actually went 2 of 3 with a road win in Tampa. Ah, memories.

The difference between Garrard and Gray isn't as pronounced as Bortles and Henne. Bortles is the Jags O currently. Without him the morale and potency is shot. Him and the receivers are developing good chemistry that will continue to grow.

I also think this chattering on who makes whom in under 2 years of play is juvenile. Neither unit is made, they are making each other. This is not a Calvin Johnson Mathew Stafford scenario.
I'll repeat myself...Blakes Life Matters....to the success of the team.
Quote:[Image: Cutest-Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF.gif]

As long as we have a dead horse as a head coach, there's nothing else to discuss.

Quote:As long as we have a dead horse as a head coach, there's nothing else to discuss.

Insightful as always...
Pages: 1 2