Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Way too early look into next season, like after this one
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With what we look like on paper, lets say we go 10-6 and win our first playoff and lose our 2nd one. Beachum ended up playing up to his capabilities and secured the LT spot, the rest of the line was injury free. 

What do you think will be the most important priorities of the off-season? Here's mine: 

LG- I think this should be addressed be it FA or draft. 

SS- I personally don't see this position panning out as neither Cyp or Sample will shine here. 

DE- Can never have too many pass rushers

LB- I think that we could stand to find an upgrade over Skuta as Skuta is a serviceable rotational player at best. Same goes for Poz, I'd keep em here but when Jack takes over, then that's that. Poz can fulfill a backup type role. I think he'd be ok with it. 

Re-sign Blake Bortles- Git er' done

Re-sign Robinson-see above

Do the 1 year additional option for Lee even if he has a great year this year. I'd like consistency here. 

Feel free to add and comment. 

How can we possibly know without watching this season first.

Kicker might be number 1 if we lose that 2nd game by 2 points and Myers shanks one with 3 seconds left.
I don't think there's a 1 year team option for Lee because he wasn't a first round pick.

We're going to need more youth on the defensive line soon. I'd expect to see another DT signed or drafted.
Can't we just use Bortles 5th year option
LG - this position seems to be a problem even if things work out this year

LT - I have very little confidence in our left tackles but we still have to see how Beachum/Joeckel do

SS - Cyprien is in his 4th year.  He hasn't lived up to expectations up until now but even he does this year, will the Jags resign him

TE - After Thomas, who do we have

OLB - This is a position that we need depth at

Quote:How can we possibly know without watching this season first.

Kicker might be number 1 if we lose that 2nd game by 2 points and Myers shanks one with 3 seconds left.

We cant. But it's just a lititle longer before the party starts and I'm trying to fill the void.
Quote:How can we possibly know without watching this season first.

And what if Bortles throws another touchdown to the opposing team?  As the saying goes, "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle".
If you asked this question 1 year ago, the answer would have been, in no particular order:

1. Left tackle- now we have Beachum, a potential top 10 at this position if healthy. Will probably draft a developmental guy here in mid-rounds.

2. Cornerback-  Ramsay, House, Colvin make solid trio. No need here.

3. Center- Linder should be solid once he adjusts to new position. No need here.

4. Running back- Ivory provides good complement to Yeldon. Winner of Jonas Gray/Denard competition gives team solid depth. No need here.

5. Free safety- This was probably the top need, now it's a strength with Gipson as the starter.

6. Strong safety- A year ago we weren't sure about Cyprien. That's still the case, but the acquisition of Gipson should help him. Sample appears to be a

capable player, but hasn't been on the field enough to know for sure. This could still be a need.

7. Left guard-  I agree with those who say this will still be a need. Bernadeau and Joeckel leave much to be desired. Thankfully, it's not the most important position

and weaknesses can be covered up, but this will be a priority in the draft or free agency. 

8. Wide receiver- A year ago, we liked the potential but weren't sure if we had a true number 1 receiver. After last season, I wouldn't trade the Jaguars' receiving 

corps for any other team's in the NFL. 

9. Outside linebacker- Between Jack, Skuta and Davis this position should be fine this year. Jack will likely replace Poz full time in the middle after this season,

so this position will also be addressed in the off-season.

It's no wonder that so many are very optimistic about this team finally turning things around. 

I think we end this season with two really big needs

1. A Gaurd

2. A Big 4-3 DE
I just cant even begin this look past this season

So many ifs buts and maybes to consider and a strong chance we get a new head coack

Regardless I think our at least our second rounder will be a pass rusher
Wen u do the fifth year option isn't it a average of the top ten paid at the position if so I

would never pay lee that
As I see it, it's seriously too early to evaluate 2017 w/o playing 2016. But here goes... W/the success that we had on offense in 2015 along w/the FA additions we'll be much better w/no glaring needs. Depth will be needed at the OL positions though. As for the defense, we'll also need depth at the LB/SS positions as all others should be fine.

Also were certainly to a point of having to jettison good players to retain great players in 2017. The Competition will be Fearse...

NH3...
Can we lock up Telvin pls

OL

OL

OL

And maybe a LB.

Just curious, what 3 players would you want to replace on our current OL? let's say for argument's sake, Beachum lives up to billing and we exercise the 4 year option we have. at the next offseason Linder is entrenched as starting center and Cann is lights out at RG. that leaves Parnell (who has played really well, and still pretty young), and whoever wins at LG (Luke, Mac, shatley?).

I was hoping this is where Mr. 02 marches or waddles in and proclaims, I am shutting this thread down, going nowhere.

Not only is it all supposition, and premature as the OP acknowledged, it'seems negative too, the next year watch before August.

WE HAVE NO IDEA.
If we go 10-6:

Gus extended and board explodes.

Quote:OL

OL

OL

And maybe a LB.

We will know by the end of the year if the OL needs a talent upgrade, and at which positions.  I mainly don't see a lot of holes elsewhere and know that if a team has a dominant OL, the whole team benefits.  The QB takes fewer sacks, has more time to throw, the running game pounds away, creating play-action opportunities, time of possession keeps the ball away from the opponent, and the defense comes in rested and ready to do some damage. 

(oops, I meant to answer JaxJagsandBeer's post but answered my own.)