Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles Seeks Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...offseason/

Nice.

More evidence we have our guy!

It is nice to read these stories.  This type of development seems like true committment.  Reading Jaguars.com stories about intense film study seemed disingenuous during the Gabbert era.  It seems like the whole "know thyself" key to understanding this time around.

Copy and paste please
Love this response in the comment section..

"Seriously, why bother talking to a Super Bowl winner like Rodgers or a seasoned vet like Palmer, two QB’s who have made their living by driving their teams to wins.

"He should be talking to Teddy Bridgewater, who started in his first year as well. Teddy could teach Bortles how to turn those 35 TD’s into 14 in his 2nd year, and can tell him the virtues of being a caretaker while the defense and the running back do all of the heavy lifting, and how to disappear during big games, like the last game of the season for the division title or the home playoff loss against Seattle."
great read... I like the last point of the article talking about how neither Rodgers or Palmer had been starting at his age. It is crazy to think the kid is only 24 years old....  I guess I can't really call him a kid since I'm only 26, but still, we have a decade and some change of this guy left and I couldn't be happier.

Quote:Love this response in the comment section..

"Seriously, why bother talking to a Super Bowl winner like Rodgers or a seasoned vet like Palmer, two QB’s who have made their living by driving their teams to wins.

"He should be talking to Teddy Bridgewater, who started in his first year as well. Teddy could teach Bortles how to turn those 35 TD’s into 14 in his 2nd year, and can tell him the virtues of being a caretaker while the defense and the running back do all of the heavy lifting, and how to disappear during big games, like the last game of the season for the division title or the home playoff loss against Seattle."
bortles fans care more about teddy than they do blake lol
Seems like they didn't really offer him any useful advice.

"build better rapport" ...um DUH

"don't throw every ball for 21points" ... Astute observation Aaron Rodgers!

Come on, where's the abundance of technical advice that these two men obviously possess?
Quote:Seems like they didn't really offer him any useful advice.

Come on, where's the abundance of technical advice that these two men obviously possess?

Maybe my sarcasm meter is on the fritz again, but you can't be real with this, right?

You go to coaches for technical advice (tactics), you go to established peers for savvy (strategy).
Quote:Maybe my sarcasm meter is on the fritz again, but you can't be real with this, right?

You go to coaches for technical advice (tactics), you go to established peers for savvy (strategy).
... And you go to Ben Rothlisberger for pointers on groupie etiquette.

Quote:bortles fans care more about teddy than they do blake lol

It gets kind of weird sometimes...
Quote:... And you go to Ben Rothlisberger for pointers on groupie etiquette.

Or just where to score.
Aaron Rodgers be like "I usually don't try hard the first game, but definitely try harder from week 2 on".
Yeah I think its neat. Anyone who has ever worked hard at something and wanted to get better has been in the same shoes. Its a good sign, lets hope he keeps growing and becomes a top 3 QB for the next decade. 

I'm sure there's more to in than what was actually said by Bortles.

They probably had lengthy conversations.... but I doubt Rodgers was talking mechanics.
Quote:Or just where to score.
I've seen Bortles' ex.

I don't think he has any problems in that department.
Quote:bortles fans care more about teddy than they do blake lol
I think you missed the sarcasm.

I think hearing from a Pro Bowl QB not to try to do too much is a lot better than hearing it from a coach for a young QB like Bortles.

I think part of his problem in some of the turnovers was him trying to do too much.
Quote:I think hearing from a Pro Bowl QB not to try to do too much is a lot better than hearing it from a coach for a young QB like Bortles.

I think part of his problem in some of the turnovers was him trying to do too much.

Absolutely trying to do too much.  No running game meant the play action wasn't going to freeze anyone.  The defensive line rushed downhill all year against him.

I would have to think there was a lot more advice offered than those nuggets, but those are soundbites that work in this article. 

As Bullseye pointed out, even if their advice was limited to what's in the article, getting that from guys who have been doing this at a high level for several years tends to carry more gravity than even a coach.  It may seem pretty simplistic, but with all of the analysis and granular review of ever single aspect of playing that position by a host of sources, sometimes it's the simple stuff that tends to get lost in all of the information.
Pages: 1 2