Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Military Coup Underway in Turkey Right Now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Good. Erdogan is a theocratic [BAD WORD REMOVED]. 

Quote:Good. Erdogan is a theocratic [BAD WORD REMOVED]. 
We don't have a lot of information right now regarding the military's motives. TV, internet, and transportation are all shut down right now. For all we know this could benefit ISIS.
Quote:We don't have a lot of information right now regarding the military's motives. TV, internet, and transportation are all shut down right now. For all we know this could benefit ISIS.
Considering the Turkish government is saying the coup leaders are allied with Fetullah Gülen, a politician currently exiled in the US, I highly doubt that. 
My brother is on leave right now and back here in the states.. He's stationed in Incirlik.. No idea what's gonna happen..

Quote:Considering the Turkish government is saying the coup leaders are allied with Fetullah Gülen, a politician currently exiled in the US, I highly doubt that. 
http://www.pewforum.org/2010/09/15/musli...-movement/

I would consider The Gulen Movement to be very "shady" about its specific beliefs. While it does appear to emphasize a more modern worldview for Islam, it's not entirely secular either. It could be seen as a gradualist Islamist movement within Turkey, and among Turkish diaspora. Again, it's too early to tell.
The sooner everyone realises the role the Turks are playing in the middle east unrest the better.
Quote:http://www.pewforum.org/2010/09/15/musli...-movement/

I would consider The Gulen Movement to be very "shady" about its specific beliefs. While it does appear to emphasize a more modern worldview for Islam, it's not entirely secular either. It could be seen as a gradualist Islamist movement within Turkey, and among Turkish diaspora. Again, it's too early to tell.
And Erdogan was slowly but surely removing secular politicians from government as well as threatening to put journalists in prison for criticizing the government. 
Seems the coup is being overturned by the public.
Quote:Seems the coup is being overturned by the public.

aww I hope not, I'm #teamcoup

Apparently, some people within Turkey believe that this coup might have been staged by Erdogan in order to seize full power and turn Turkey into a Presidential regime.

Fascinating stuff.

The Turkish military has a right in the constitution to overthrow the government if they are not being secular enough.Also the government does not control the military so if this coup was real it was actually completely valid.
The majority supports Erdogan and even Erodgans opposition in parliament stood behind Erdogan against this illegitimate coup.

There is nothing democratic about shelling and bombing the parliamentary buildings in Ankara so whoever said they are team coup can eat [BLEEP].
Quote:Good. Erdogan is a theocratic [BAD WORD REMOVED]. 
Yup. To bad it didn't work.
Quote:The majority supports Erdogan and even Erodgans opposition in parliament stood behind Erdogan against this illegitimate coup.

There is nothing democratic about shelling and bombing the parliamentary buildings in Ankara so whoever said they are team coup can eat [BAD WORD REMOVED].

that was me.  I'm not a big fan of Erodgan and was hoping the military would restore the secular state of turkey instead of it becoming more islamic based.  That country has slowly been converting from a democracy to a dictatorship and the coup failing last night will only push it that way faster.
Erdogan has removed 2,700 judges after this coup.Approximately one third of Turkeys judges.
Power grab is on.
Quote:Apparently, some people within Turkey believe that this coup might have been staged by Erdogan in order to seize full power and turn Turkey into a Presidential regime.

This seems to be happening. Good call by "some people."

Quote:My brother is on leave right now and back here in the states.. He's stationed in Incirlik.. No idea what's gonna happen..

Your brother may have avoided a situation.  Erdogan has cut power to the base, closed airspace, and may be holding U.S. nukes hostage.

http://www.stripes.com/news/middle-east/...e-1.419447
As Obama might say..A Turkey Coop?

Pages: 1 2 3