Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Changed Divisional Matchups?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is an axiom that football is a game of matchups.

Basically, if your team has more favorable matchups than its opponent, then it will likely win the game. 

Too often over the past decade, the matchups have not been favorable to the Jaguars.

But with the infusion of talent since 2014, the sense is this team is on the upswing.  With this past offseason, it seems like we will have at least 5 new starters on defense. 

So going into training camp, which matchups do you think have gone against us over the past decade or so, and which of these matchups now favor us?  Which ones are now even?

I think right now, the passing game with the Colts is at least even.  Luck's return-assuming normal health for him-makes it edge Indy.  However, I think the Jaguars' passing game overall is better than the Colts because we have better overall receivers.  Furthermore, even though we ranked 31st last year, based upon the offseason acquisitions, we have a defense better equipped to defend against the pass than the Colts.  Though I like that Fowler has looked good upon his return thus far, and that the Jaguars have added 2 more DEs in Ngakoue and Tyrone Holmes, I am still concerned about being able to pressure Luck

Because we will have a faster defense, we are now better equipped to defend against Mariota's running.  With Gipson having the range and ball hawking ability to play FS as it was designed for this defense, Cyprien can now play in the box.  Jack is a far better athlete than Poz or Skuta, and his speed and agility will not only enable him to cover Walker, but also spy Mariota better.  In short, I don't see another 88 yard run for Mariota against this defense.  I also think Ramsey makes us better equipped to defend Dorial Green-Beckham, who hurt us in the 2nd game last year

Going into camp, I am still concerned about how we match up against Houston's defense.  I still see no answer for J.J. Watt or Mercilus at the tackle spots, and if Clowney ever puts it all together add him to the mix as well.  If we can get those guys blocked, I think their secondary is ripe for the taking, but they have been a constant headache for our offense.  However, I am now confident we can shut their offense down.  We did a decent job against them in the first game last year for 2.5-3 quarters.  With the improved athleticism and depth along the defense, I think explosions from Hopkins can be mitigated in the future.

Thoughts?

Our #1 problem on defense has been stopping TEs. With Jack and Gibson that should be reduced. #1a is QB pressure. If the new DEs can get just a little more pressure than before it should create opportunities on D for errant passes and possible turnovers.

I truly believe our offense can hang with anybody.

Will we go undefeated or defeated I don't know, but we should be competitive in every game going forward.
Quote:Our #1 problem on defense has been stopping TEs. With Jack and Gibson that should be reduced. #1a is QB pressure. If the new DEs can get just a little more pressure than before it should create opportunities on D for errant passes and possible turnovers.

I truly believe our offense can hang with anybody.

Will we go undefeated or defeated I don't know, but we should be competitive in every game going forward.

I agree with some of what you said. But not all of it.

TEs are a problem but Hopkins embarrassed us last season. So it's not just TEs it's WRs too.

And our running game struggled behind our OLine
We have never stopped the TE position at any point in this franchise history.

Quote:I agree with some of what you said. But not all of it.

TEs are a problem but Hopkins embarrassed us last season. So it's not just TEs it's WRs too.

And our running game struggled behind our OLine

Hopkins got away with more than a couple OPIs against us as well
We matchup up best defensively against Tenn. They want to run and we can stop that. Mariota against our updated secondary doesn't scare me at all.

Offensively, we matchup best against Indy. We can go toe to toe with them in scoring and their DL doesn't have the ability to pressure Blake like Houston and Tenn.
Edit: double post
Quote:We have never stopped the TE position at any point in this franchise history.

This.
These aren't your Dad's AFC teams, all of the teams identity has changed. Indy still has a deadly passing attack though.

The Jags are no longer a smash mouth team. We are an explosive team that can score in bunches as Madden would say.

The Texans are known for their defense but man if Hopkins can find just an average QB he might break records.

The Titans are a mixed bag. Without Mariotta they are actually a boring team. Their defense lacks playmaker and their offense is more of the same.

Murray had one good year in Dallas. Henry is too slow for the pros.
The way I'm looking at it is...

tacks

Despite our failures on D we can stop the run.With the added talent I have no fear of Murray/Henry running against us.We usually split with them but I think we can win two games against them.

clots

Luck gets knocked a lot on this forum because of last year but I think he will bounce back in a big way.He's still a young QB with lots of room to grow.Can see us splitting with them.They can't run against us but I have a feeling Luck will go ape on us when we play them at home.

tinhorns

Very hard to predict this.Is Brock the guy? I'm not sure, I dont think he needs to be a franchise QB to best us though.They have a top flight D which is only going to get better this season IMO and they have a huge influx of talent on O too. I think we split with them.

Total division record :4-2

tinhorns

Very hard to predict this.Is Brock the guy? I'm not sure, I dont think he needs to be a franchise QB to best us though.They have a top flight D which is only going to get better this season IMO and they have a huge influx of talent on O too. I think we split with them.

[/quote]

Besides Hopkins on offense who else. Strong is meh...
[quote name="JagFanatic24" post="772203" timestamp="1468621550"]

tinhorns

[/quote]

Besides Hopkins on offense who else. Strong is meh...[/quote]

Lamar Miller is very good RB, lots of speed in Fuller/Braxton Miller/Ervin even if I don't rate Fuller as a first round pick.
Braxton Miller was slow at the combine. He is a 4th WR at best behind Hopkins, Fuller, and Strong.

Lamar Miller has never rushed over 900 yards, except in 2014 he ran for 1099 yards. However he did score 8 times last year.

He won't scare us at all.
Quote:Braxton Miller was slow at the combine. He is a 4th WR at best behind Hopkins, Fuller, and Strong.

Lamar Miller has never rushed over 900 yards, except in 2014 he ran for 1099 yards. However he did score 8 times last year.

He won't scare us at all.

Lamar Miller was soo underused man! Honestly it all depends on Brock.
Quote:Lamar Miller was soo underused man! Honestly it all depends on Brock.

He was, but I still don't think he's any better than a healthy Foster
Quote:We have never stopped the TE position at any point in this franchise history.

If you have a good TE, it makes life so much easier for you.

There are so many creative ways you can use a good TE.

Last year we did a good job against TEs.
Quote:He was, but I still don't think he's any better than a healthy Foster

Healthy Foster >>>>>>>> Miller
Quote:Healthy Foster >>>>>>>> Miller

Exactly. And we handled that for years. Miller and Brock aren't an issue.

The only two people on that team who worry me at all are Hopkins and Watt
Quote:Exactly. And we handled that for years. Miller and Brock aren't an issue.

The only two people on that team who worry me at all are Hopkins and Watt
With a top 5 D and a RB like Miller all Brock has to do is be a game manager.Whilst he might not set the world alight I think he will be good enough to get them to the playoffs.
Pages: 1 2