Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dump Chad Henne
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
If it comes down to a choice of keeping a 3rd QB on the active roster (to protect Brandon Allen) and releasing a promising young player like Michael Bennett or Nick Marshall, I say just keep 2 QBs and the odd man out should be Henne. 

Bortles hasn't missed a snap since he took over as the starter.  Dedicating TWO players to the possibility of Bortles being hurt is not wise.  And what if Allen actually give us the best chance to win if Blake gets injured?  He is certainly more mobile than Henne.

Then let's look at the future.  If Allen shows he can play NFL QB, Henne will not be here in 2017.  Why not try to trade Henne for a 7th round pick?  There would be no salary cap hit and Allen can benefit from more snaps in camp.

Keeping a 6th rd rookie as your primary back up QB would be stupid, and Caldwell isn't stupid.

For a GM to do something like that to his roster would be dereliction of duty.

Quote:Keeping a 6th rd rookie as your primary back up QB would be stupid, and Caldwell isn't stupid.

For a GM to do something like that to his roster would be dereliction of duty.

Gotta agree here. Henne is not the worst backup in the league. That being said, give Allen some pre season reps, if he looks like he can handle it, then you have a decision to make, especially if we can get something in return for Henne.

But I am reluctant to keep a 6th round rookie as a backup as well.
Quote:Gotta agree here. Henne is not the worst backup in the league. That being said, give Allen some pre season reps, if he looks like he can handle it, then you have a decision to make, especially if we can get something in return for Henne.

But I am reluctant to keep a 6th round rookie as a backup as well.
I am reluctant to keep a 6th round rookie as the PRIMARY backup to Bortles.

I have no problem keeping a guy like Allen as the 3rd QB.

I share the OP's concern over letting a promising young player at another position just walk.  Were it up to me, Alualu would be gone and Bennett would stay.

But I would be quite reluctant to have a rookie QB be this team's primary backup, especially when it appears this team is finally in position to compete for a playoff spot. 
Nah, I'd rather keep Henne. If you want to Allen badly enough and you are afraid you will lose him if put on the PS, then just IR him for the hangnail he will receive in pre-season game 4.

Quote:I am reluctant to keep a 6th round rookie as the PRIMARY backup to Bortles.

I have no problem keeping a guy like Allen as the 3rd QB.

I share the OP's concern over letting a promising young player at another position just walk.  Were it up to me, Alualu would be gone and Bennett would stay.

But I would be quite reluctant to have a rookie QB be this team's primary backup, especially when it appears this team is finally in position to compete for a playoff spot. 

Exactly.

Depends on what player I would be letting walk. If it was Bennett then no. Marshall is a no. I actually agree with Bullseye that at this point AluAlu could go in favor of keeping a young QB from getting snatched up.

Alualu's only saving grace seems to be "he's versatile" and "he's not that bad" which IMO he is that bad. We have alot of depth along the D-line much more then at CB and athletes like Marshall aren't easy to find.

Would like to add that I am not in favor of keeping Allen as the primary backup as that would be suicidal in the event that somehow bortles goes down (knock on wood) .

Its either keep 3 and drop a player somewhere else or let B.Allen hang in the wind and hope someone doenst take him. Henne might suck but he isn't a complete rook with no experience in the system.

Since I'm expecting playoffs then I want Henne as my backup. Not a 6th rounder.
Nick Marshall is not very good outside of the college football QB position.

Get rid of him... The Patriots prove year end and year out you dont need a 8 yr vet to be your backup... Chad Henne sucks anyway... So how much worst would a 6th rounder be?
Quote:Get rid of him... The Patriots prove year end and year out you dont need a 8 yr vet to be your backup... Chad Henne sucks anyway... So how much worst would a 6th rounder be?

Much much worst
Quote:Much much worst
Gabbert worst?
It worked out for the Patriots. 

And Henne couldn't even beat out 2014 rookie Bortles. 

Quote:Get rid of him... The Patriots prove year end and year out you dont need a 8 yr vet to be your backup... Chad Henne sucks anyway... So how much worst would a 6th rounder be?

And if Blake goes down, your "year end" just came to fruition..... My God, you so are an idiot...
Quote:And if Blake goes down, your "year end" just came to fruition..... My God, you so are an idiot...

This thread is about Chad Henne ! Where do u see Blake name in my post?

I believe your statement if anything would bare the burden of your fruition as you would put it..
Carry a young 3rd qb to groom as your backup.

He replaces Henne whenever he's ready to.

Quote:Carry a young 3rd qb to groom as your backup.

He replaces Henne whenever he's ready to.

And if the jags need a roster spot ?
Unless Allen really impresses, which is highly unlikely, cut him. He's just a camp arm anyway. No need to use an extra roster spot on him.
Chad is not going anywhere this year we just signed him to guaranteed $$, and if we feel the need to keep Allen to protect him from other teams, then so be it. He can take a spot from loser of McCray / Bubblegum Gratz battle. I hope that Allen forces us into this decision with good play, so that we can carry 2 QBs in 2017 (Bortles / Allen).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7