Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gene Smith: How to destroy a franchise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/31...s_in_four/

BTW, does anyone know if Gene Smith has found work after football?

Smith made some bad decisions, but the expansion level talent of our roster that the article references was in part created by Caldwell as he gutted the team when he took over. I have no problem with the tactic because I'm fine with the longview that Caldwell was committed to. It just finally needs to start paying off and it's looking like it will.
Move on

[Image: 20160506_131244.jpg]
...... but Alfie accumulated 50,000 posts stating how great Gene was.

Quote:https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/31...s_in_four/

BTW, does anyone know if Gene Smith has found work after football?
Last I heard (about a year ago) he was being interviewed to work for the jests front office...

don't know if he actually got the job though.
Only Tyson remains.

However, Monroe, Thomas, and Gabbert were turned into draft capital.

He made a bunch of bad moves, but the one pick that truly screwed us for years was Gabbert.

He took the chance the he was our franchise QB.

He wasn't.

Quote:He made a bunch of bad moves, but the one pick that truly screwed us for years was Gabbert.

He wasn't.

There was definitely some circumstance involved. The Gene Smith era should be a case study for any new GM that's hired in the league. You can't wait til year 3 to draft a QB if you don't already have one. He pretty much put himself in a position where he had to draft Gabbert and pray he panned out.

Russell Wilson might have been able to save him had he not opted for a punter who is no longer here.
Quote:Only Tyson remains.

However, Monroe, Thomas, and Gabbert were turned into draft capital.
Is that right?  He's the only player left from the Gene Smith era?  Wow, talk about turnover.
Quote:Is that right?  He's the only player left from the Gene Smith era?  Wow, talk about turnover.
That means bad, bad drafting, because you figure at least one of those guys would have earned a lucrative contract extension from the team.
Quote:There was definitely some circumstance involved. The Gene Smith era should be a case study for any new GM that's hired in the league. You can't wait til year 3 to draft a QB if you don't already have one. He pretty much put himself in a position where he had to draft Gabbert and pray he panned out.

Russell Wilson might have been able to save him had he not opted for a punter who is no longer here.

This is why I've been a proponent of GM + HC = 1. When Gene was promoted after Shack's firing, both the Head Coach and the QB were coming off massive contract extensions. He made a lot of mistakes, but when the two most important spots on your team are virtually untouchable due to their contract situation, it limits somewhat what you can do.
Looking back at the '09 and '10 drafts, it's probably just as well we didn't draft a QB those years because the only QB of note to come out of those two classes is Matthew Stafford and we would have had to have the number 1 overall pick to get him.  Also, we would have had to have had the number 1 overall pick in 2011 and 2012 to land either Cam Newton or Andrew Luck.  The only noteworthy QBs during the Gene Smith era that we were in position to draft but passed on were Andy Dalton and Russell Wilson.  That's a pretty difficult period to navigate for any team without a QB.  Gene might have a case that he was a victim of circumstance but not having any of the players he drafted ascend to pro bowl caliber or even above average at their position really cements him as a bad GM.

Remember when Vic Ketchman was absolutely in love with Gene Smith's moves? That guy made us believe for years that he was changing the franchise in the best way possible. He fooled me for sure, I remember being so skeptical of the draft picks and FA signings and then reading this guy talk about how amazing Gene is. Now that I mention his name, I recall he took a job with the Packers. Should be fun to read up on what he writes prior to week 1 matchup with GB. 

When Blackman returns you guys are going to be happy we had Gene.
Quote:He made a bunch of bad moves, but the one pick that truly screwed us for years was Gabbert.

He wasn't.

And if Gabbert turned into a Pro Bowler for us, in spite of all his bad decisions, Gene Smith may still be GM of this team. Or at the very least, he'd be remembered a bit more fondly. Maybe he'd have another high level front office job somewhere else right now. It's all about the QB. A very fine line between success and failure.
Quote:When Blackman returns you guys are going to be happy we had Gene.

he never crossed over the double lanes and drove into a pond at 4:30 am in the morning.

there's something to be said about that !!   #FreeBlackmon
Quote:Remember when Vic Ketchman was absolutely in love with Gene Smith's moves? That guy made us believe for years that he was changing the franchise in the best way possible. He fooled me for sure, I remember being so skeptical of the draft picks and FA signings and then reading this guy talk about how amazing Gene is. Now that I mention his name, I recall he took a job with the Packers. Should be fun to read up on what he writes prior to week 1 matchup with GB.

Uhhh, there's a thread about Vic retiring in another forum.
Quote:he never crossed over the double lanes and drove into a pond at 4:30 am in the morning.

there's something to be said about that !! #FreeBlackmon

If JB14 did that he'd of been Ferguson'd.
Quote:Uhhh, there's a thread about Vic retiring in another forum.
Not retiring, just stepping back and becoming more of an occasional contributor than a daily writer.
Pages: 1 2