Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 3D Printers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone have one?  I just recently bought an entry level one just to explore a bit.  I must say, these things are quite cool!  I'm still learning about the settings and using different materials, but it's amazing to me how you can just draw something up on your computer, and just create it.  I normally do that with electronics type stuff and a bit of programming, but to actually make objects just blows my mind.

How much did said entry level printer cost?

Quote:How much did said entry level printer cost?

$900 shipped (I am an Amazon Prime member).  There are lesser expensive options out there, especially if you choose to get one that is a "kit" where you have to actually build it and put it together.  I've had my eye on these machines for a while now.  In my opinion, they have come down in price enough to where an affordable machine could be had for a reasonable price.
How big of an object can it make? Serious question
I'm waiting for the day these things are massive and attached to cranes and sky scrapers get built that way

Quote:$900 shipped (I am an Amazon Prime member).  There are lesser expensive options out there, especially if you choose to get one that is a "kit" where you have to actually build it and put it together.  I've had my eye on these machines for a while now.  In my opinion, they have come down in price enough to where an affordable machine could be had for a reasonable price.
I used Prime Day to buy a 960GB SSD for $165. You used it to buy a 3D printer. Good choice on your part. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled about my SSD, even if it is saddled with crappy TLC NAND, but a 3D printer is all kinds of more cool.

I don't own one, obviously, but I have had the chance to play around with one on a couple of occasions. Supremely cool, and so, so many "save the world" applications for the technology.
Yeah, that looks pretty damn awesome.

I'm gonna have to look into buying one of those.

With the infinite combinations of letters and numbers, I just don't see the purpose in spending any kind of money for a printer that composes only two.
What gets me is that we've developed devices that are rather complicated, yet haven't come up with a better word than "printer" for them.

They aren't printers.

Quote:How big of an object can it make? Serious question

Per the specs it's 225 x 145 x 150 millimeters, or around 8.8 inches wide by 5.7 inches deep by 5.9 inches tall.  You're not going to make anything huge with this thing.  Also keep in mind that it's an entry level printer.
Quote:What gets me is that we've developed devices that are rather complicated, yet haven't come up with a better word than "printer" for them.

They aren't printers.

They're really not as complicated as most people think.  They are essentially printers.  Draw a picture in 3D on your computer and click "print" and the machine makes it.
Quote:They're really not as complicated as most people think.  They are essentially printers.  Draw a picture in 3D on your computer and click "print" and the machine makes it.

I get what it is... it's just more of a builder than "print"-er.  You aren't printing - marking a document with ink or toner.  You are depositing material in 3-D coordinate space to construct objects.

I've just felt since the beginning they could have used a better name for it than "printer."  3D oven would make more sense, even if it doesn't "bake."
Quote:I get what it is... it's just more of a builder than "print"-er.  You aren't printing - marking a document with ink or toner.  You are depositing material in 3-D coordinate space to construct objects.

I've just felt since the beginning they could have used a better name for it than "printer."  3D oven would make more sense, even if it doesn't "bake."

I'm with you, they should call it a creator.
Can you make your own sex toys?
Quote:I'm with you, they should call it a creator.

While they are at it we need a new name for telephone. Based on Apple's ads they are selling a camera which allows you to talk with someone;  while it's being used as a computer.
Quote:Can you make your own sex toys?

is 8.8 inches wide by 5.7 inches deep by 5.9 inches tall going to be big enough for you?
Quote:is 8.8 inches wide by 5.7 inches deep by 5.9 inches tall going to be big enough for you?

Can it be made into a fist?
Quote:Can it be made into a fist?

I'll make one just for you.   :thumbsup:
Quote:I'll make one just for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks.. Can you give the knuckles arthritis?
Quote:While they are at it we need a new name for telephone. Based on Apple's ads they are selling a camera which allows you to talk with someone;  while it's being used as a computer.

That's why they're called smart phones instead of cell phones anymore.  Now, you do just about everything but talk on them most of the time.
Pages: 1 2