Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: National media chatter about the Jags is picking up steam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm an avid listener to SiriusXM NFL Radio mostly while in the car.  I've heard several SiriusXM NFL hosts and talking heads in the media this week pick the Jags as the team most likely to take the next step this year and surprise by making the playoffs if not outright winning the division.  This evening, Gil Brandt, Rick Neuheisel and Bill Lekas all had the Jaguars as their most likely team to make that jump.  Earlier this week, I also heard Daryl Johnston being interviewed by Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan and he was also picking the Jags as his surprise team. (No pressure guys!)

This isn't earth shattering as I think most of us feel like we have a shot at the division and should be in contention for the playoffs come December, but it's the first week where I've heard multiple people echoing the same thing on this particular topic and I suspect it's just the beginning.  The media coverage that some have complained about not getting for so long is coming.  I hope the Jags are ready to justify it.

If J.J. Watt tears his bicep celebrating a brutal sack of Andrew Luck, who consequently develops esophigeal spasms as a nervous tick on game days, then the division is the Jags for the taking. 

i feel like people are just getting too caught up in the narrative of a rebuilding underdog that they want us to fulfill, instead of just allowing us to be a normal team trying to complete a roster. Thats the nature of media i suppose but i just hope that if we dont turn things around the backlash isnt too aggressive. Hype is good, expectations are good, but some people need to temper them so they dont project an innaccurate view of a team thats on its way but still has much work to do.
but thats enough seriousness

DUUUUUUUVAAAAAALLLLLLLL BIH LETS GET IT
[Image: xTiTnnQOrWH9eE6d68.gif]
I will respectfully ask permission to use this as my Sig since you're the first poster i've seen post this.

Quote:but thats enough seriousness

Oh yea....Would you mind if i borrow your GIF for a few months?

Quote:I will respectfully ask permission to use this as my Sig since you're the first poster i've seen post this.

Oh yea....Would you mind if i borrow your GIF for a few months?
do whatever ya like
Quote:i feel like people are just getting too caught up in the narrative of a rebuilding underdog that they want us to fulfill, instead of just allowing us to be a normal team trying to complete a roster. Thats the nature of media i suppose but i just hope that if we dont turn things around the backlash isnt too aggressive. Hype is good, expectations are good, but some people need to temper them so they dont project an innaccurate view of a team thats on its way but still has much work to do.

Oh I agree, but the increased media scrutiny is going to make that hard for folks.  We'll see how the rest of the pre-season plays out but I have a feeling we're going to hear more and more talking heads have the Jaguars as their surprise team this year.
I live in north texas( Cowboys country if you will). I can't count how many of my friends, that are cowboys fans, have come up to me and said "man y'all look like y'all might be scary this year" or some form of that. It's catching on everywhere. Hope our guys are up to the challenge tho!
From Yahoo..  "The Jaguars, meanwhile, are the current trendy bandwagon playoff pick, which, if it comes to pass, could both raise the team out of the last-place spot and bring about the apocalypse."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/new-study-r...11265.html
Quote:From Yahoo..  "The Jaguars, meanwhile, are the current trendy bandwagon playoff pick, which, if it comes to pass, could both raise the team out of the last-place spot and bring about the apocalypse."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/new-study-r...11265.html

LOL at the end of the sentence. Merely making the Playoffs is something they did as recently as the 2007 season. To really bring it about, they'd have to beat the Patriots.

Quote:but thats enough seriousness

The scary beautiful thing about this play is that AR15 stumbled a little coming out of his cut.  It would have been a complete embarrassment of a good DB had he not stumbled.
We were actually close to winning the division last year. Our division isn't that good in terms of elite teams. The Colts had a down year and the Texans just happened to be a bit less crud than everybody else. This year is different for a lot of reasons. Our team is talented but inexperienced. I think it might take a few games for us to get going but once we do maybe we overtake whoever we're chasing for the division.

Quote:If J.J. Watt tears his bicep celebrating a brutal sack of Andrew Luck, who consequently develops esophigeal spasms as a nervous tick on game days, then the division is the Jags for the taking. 

I think our Jags fans are ok with us "earning" the division in the face of Watt and Luck
I have heard of at least two nationally known people-Jim Mora, Jr. and ESPN's John Clayton-predict Myles Jack will be defensive rookie of the year.

I am so ready for this season to begin.  I am so ready for this team to earn the national respect.  I am so ready for this team to shut the critics-nationally and locally-up for a long long time.

Quote:http://www.thesportster.com/football/8-n...se-dive/2/
This article seems very accurate. It wouldn't be surprising at all to see Jacksonville, Tampa and Oakland take huge steps this season. The future seems very bright for all 3 of these teams with the key factor being the progression of Bortles, Winston and Carr. By the end of this decade, at least one of these perennial losers will be victorious in the Super Bowl and the other 2 will have established themselves as perennial playoff contenders. It wasn't that long ago that Arizona, Denver and Carolina were cellar dwellers and they were able to turn it around. Loyal fans of the Jaguars, Bucs and Raiders will soon have their patience rewarded.
I'm giddy, like a kid on his birthday !  Soooo looking forward to this season !

I'm not a kid, but today is my birthday

Bumping this thread to mention the latest boarding of the Jaguars hype train:

Brandon Marshall (WR) on Inside The NFL just called the Jags his sleeper playoff pick of 2016.

My father in law who typically gives me poo for being a Jags fan has been saying how he's heard good things about us this off season and thinks they could finally do something.

Please Jags... dont let me down... Big Grin

I think lots of national people think team will be better.

But I feel it is split nearly 50/50 between those who think playoffs and those who think "one year away".

Most of the second group have a perception that all the new free agents/rookies of Houston's offense will gel more than the new free agents/rookies of Jags' defense. Not sure why. Both have lot to prove.

Pages: 1 2